Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Project manager "unknown error"

New Here ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

After 2 years of using project manager to consolidate and back up my projects, it is now giving me constant grief.

On almost every project (mainly promos) it is unable to calculate project size og unable to back up my projects.

Every time giving me "unknown error", asking me to try again.  Not even once, has this improved anything.  I keep getting "unknown error"

It does not work and I've tried many combination of settings.

I will have to stop using Premiere as my editor if this keeps up.  I cannot keep backing up by copying 100s of GB of assets for a each 30 sec. spot.

What is going on?

Has a bug been introduced in the last few versions?

Does anybody else have these issues?

What could be the possible cause? 

Thank you

//Stig A.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Had the same problem and came across this thread. My project has about a dozen sequences, and the Project Manager wouldn't "Collect files and copy to new location". It came back with an "Unknown Error" message.

I narrowed it down to Sequence #4. That sequence was causing the problems.

I narrowed it down further: one of my music files from iTunes had special characters in the name: colons and commas. Got rid of those and the problem was fixed.

I'm running CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2019 Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep same problem here, should at least be able to tell you where the problem lies.

Time to go back to Final Cut.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 01, 2019 Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it difficult to believe that Adobe hasn't spent the time to rectified this problem – or the unsharp-text problem, or the lost-render problem. I remember going through several weeks of research back in 2013, deciding between Premiere and Final Cut. Asking questions on both forums, reading the manuals, going through forum posts, very carefully weighing the pros and cons of each. I finally decided on Premiere because of its easy interactions with other programs in the Adobe suite (PS, Encore, AE and Audition in my case).

I fixed the unknown-error problem by removing special characters, and the problem has never returned, but the other two problems remain. Given what I now know about Premiere, and given that FC is a one-off cost of $299, I'm almost certain I made the wrong decision to go with Premiere. But at least I'm not on subscription. I bought CS6 outright. And I won't be upgrading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once Adobe puts out a new version of Premiere Elements or Photoshop Elements, they just don't want to go back and fix the bugs!!  I, too, cannot get the Project Archiver to work in Premiere because of the "unknown error" message. And others have reported problems with the Shake Reduction feature which apparently isn't going to be fixed by Adobe either. And when I was using an earlier version of Photoshop, the "recently used files" list never updated or cleared out, and was another bug that Adobe just refused to do anything about. If Adobe was smart, they might realize that it's going to be difficult to sell new products in the future if they can't even take time to fix the bugs in the products that they've already put out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, Im ending my subscription effective immediately. 2021, same issue, classic unkown error. Test your software.... Im out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. Im done wiht Adobe. This is inexcusable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2019 Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I finally did was create a new project, copy just the seq I want and then project manage. That worked for me. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To everybody complaining about this issue... The tip from wiliness works perfectly. Just create a new project, then in import media, import the sequence of your final project (the one you worked on). A window will appear, select import sequence + create a folder, then use Project manager, and it should work perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works indeed 🙂 Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work for me... this is absolutely ridiculous. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hasn't worked for me. The post facility I'm working with won't even accept premiere projects so I have to output it myself. It should not be this difficult or such a scavenger to figure out what "Unknown Error" is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I just did this and it still resulted in the unknown error. The problem is still a problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No luck, in 2021. Cool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLUTION SOLUTION SOLUTION: Uncheck the box "Include Prevew Files" when you getting ready to start the media manage 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did the same, I also unchecked the box for renaming files to match clip name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work for me 😕 Adobe its been years, we shouldn't still be having this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you also uncheck the checkbox for Audio Conformed Files ?

Did you try to copy the timeline into a new project ? 

That's the kind of things which generally work for people having issues like this. 

If you still have troubles, you can use the third party plugin "PlumePack". It's not free, but it's a good alternative to the Project Manager. There is a "Trimming" feature also, which cut your files without re-encoding. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When i faced this issue in 99% cases it was solved by unchecking "Include Audio Conform Files"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there I just had the same issue here. And what I have found is try to include the Unused clips and even the audio previews.Then once collected redo one more time without the unused clips. I know this is a double process but I would rather do that than getting stuck for several figuring it out. Hope this works for all of you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cant believe this error is still not fixed or the error message to have more information in 2020. Adobe, you have a lot of competition out there now, you are going to lose a lot of subscribers if you cant fix errors like this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm sorry but this proposed solution is anything but. What if you have dozens and dozens of filenames in what you call "special characters", from your own language? And why should that be a problem? This needs urgent fixing, please. I'm running CC 13 0 3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a specific thing if you mean the language characters of a different language are causing the problem. And it would need to be brought to the attention of the developers.

This forum is primarily user-to-user, they have a different forum for communicating with the devs ... their UserVoice system. I've talked with one of the engineers tasked with reading every post filed there. He wants MORE DETAILS. Please! Some people just say "x is broke fix it" ... but if they can't replicate the broke, they can't have any idea what to fix.

Click on that link, and search that forum for similar posts to your problem.

Either 'upvote' a similar post, or create a new post. Give full details, including the language and characters that are causing problems, then post a link to that back here. Others can see it and go upvote it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been smashing my head against the wall for an hour on this. Turns out Project Manager doesnt work if you have braw (blackmagic raw) files. This is in 14.1.0. Luckily my project isn't huge and it'll only take me another hour or so to copy everything manually ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What specific thing is happening with Project manager with your BRAW files?

This is the sort of thing that should be filed in detail with the developers, which is done by going to the UserVoice system and searching for similar issues, adding details and upvoting ... or filing out a new post.

I've talked with one of the engineers who reads every flipping post filed, and his main complaint is they don't get nearly enough detail with most posts to be usable. System hardware/OS version, Premiere version, media used, part of the app with problems, and a description of what you're doing when X unfortunate thing happens. And what X is compared with what you expected.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Neil, 

One of the issues is that as users we don't get any sort of error message or log to help with the issue so we can send to the engineers. It's just a plain error message for this project manager issue. FYI, I cannot use Project Manager with BRAW files either. 
If your engineers main complaint is they dont get nearly enough detail with most posts to be usable, maybe they should reply to these messages if he is reading them all and ask for the detail they need. The end-user doesn't know what details they need to post to help engineers with the errors.  In most of the posts here there are only 2 parts of what you are requesting missing, System hardware/OS and Premiere Version. The rest of it is detailed in many posts. This sounds like engineers blaming the end users for their errors.  By the way what is a "flipping post"??
And since your engineers is reading this, can he/she please respond to this message with the exact details they need to fix it. Let's get this sorted out so the project manager starts working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW for all those who wish to upvote this in Uservoice as Neil suggested here is the link to the specific problem. Please upvote it so we get an issue. No engineers have responded in uservoice either.
https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/40361467-an-unknown-error-o...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines