• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Proxies?

Engaged ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried six ways to sunday to create proxy files accorded to Adobe's instructions. It doesn't work. And now all my media files, even ones that I have not created proxy files for, show the big, yellow "Media Pending" flag that won't go away.  It looks like, creating proxy files corrupted my project.

Given these technical difficulties, I am looking to do this project in a more pro environment like Da VInci Resolve, but it has been awhile since I used it. Has anyone here generated proxies in Resolve, if so, was the workflow good? 

TOPICS
Error or problem , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Proxies have been pretty easy for me to get in Premiere ... select in the bin, right-click/create proxies. I'll use a low-res ProRes or Cineform.

What's been the problem for you? Probably something that can be sorted. So what's the media, first?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, I did all that. Read the instructions. Saw some tutorials. The first few times, Media Encoder went into a loop. It kept re-encoding the same clips. FInally, I got past that and now, as a posted none of all my files playback as they are are flahhed by the yellow "media pending" card. 

Not sure I am having problems with something that should be simple as this. I am using a SSD drive. Maybe that could be the issue? Also I am on a Windows machine. Are you using a Mac? That could be the difference because I have had problems on Windows OS that I haven't experience with Mac. (I am thinking of getting a new Mac workstation and saying good bye to Windows as I grow leary of Microsoft in general) 

In any case, I moved this project to Da Vinci Resolve and will revisit this later when I have time.

Thanks for your feedback. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally PC here. And never had any issues getting proxies made except for when the audio has multiple channels, which can be an issue.

I do'nt do much time-ramping or remapping, which can also be issues if you don't know the specific way to handle that while creatin proxies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workflow in Premiere is fine.

How about creating one proxy file, Start a new project, add the clip, now select the file in the project, right-click, Proxy, Create Proxies... select Quicktime, ProRes medium, next to original, and have a go... what goes wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created proxies on a different machine. It worked but it is a pain having to attach all the proxy files. This should be an automated background function. I set up my project in Da Vinci resolve and presto, the proxy workflow was easy and worked like a charm.  Unlike Premiere Pro, Resolve automaticaly attaches the proxy files to the media. That said, I am done with Premiere Pro. As a former Avid editor, I find Pp lacking as a pro editor. Resolve is much closer to the mark. 

Thanls for your input. I do appreciate it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never had Premiere proxies not attach automatically. The problem you're having is an unfortunate odd one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

by any chance did you use "reserved" characters in folder or file names like /, \, *, etc.  That could cause problems...  You might describe your exact workflow in creating the proxies on the other machine.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're better off with a Windows machine. 

Sounds like there could be a problem with your media? Do you have a short original clip you can post on Onedrive or Google drive, I'll give it a try here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a lot of issues about a year and a half ago with sony footage and it turned out there were issues with the color space. which you can overiride using the interpret footage command to rec709, which solved the issue.    

What are the specs for your source media?  pixel dimensions, frame rate, color space, and is it by any chance created using a screen recording program or with a "smart" phone.  could be that the material has a variable frame rate which can cause all sorts of unpredictable and erratic issues.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Proxies have worked great for me.

Did you want to compare workflows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2024 Aug 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This conversation is about video proxies... lower resolution versions of your media that are easier for the editing software to play smoothly.  You're talking about something else entirely...    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines