• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"PproHeadless" is using OVER 160 GB - "Your system has run out of application memory" .. Force Quit

Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My brand new Mac Studio is having issues when I run Premiere Pro and Media Encoder at the same time. Premiere Pro quits on me, and I'm prompted with Force Quit and the message, "Your system has run out of application memory. "To avoid problems with your computer, quit any applications you are not using." 

This is odd given my computer specs:

-Mac Studio, M1 Ultra, 20 Cores (16 performance and 4 efficiency) 128GB

I opened activity monitor and saw that "PproHeadless" is open and running twice, and using 107 GB and also 58 GB. What is it??? It's clearly a part of premiere (Applications/Adobe Premiere Pro 2022/Adobe Premiere Pro 2022.app/Contents/PProHeadless.app/Contents/MacOS/PProHeadless), but why is it taking up so much memory?? I never had any issues like this with my 2013 Mac Pro tower, and I was JUST editing the same project on that computer before this one arrived.  

What should I do to fix this???Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 2.22.15 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-07-21 at 2.50.34 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-07-21 at 3.01.55 AM.png

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Export , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm rendering through Premiere because Media Encoder kept causing my computer to crash. And now Premiere is using 82GB for some pretty basic exports... how is that even possible? This is definitely a Mac Studio issue. Any ideas on how I can make this run more smoothly / also use Media Encorder ever again (welp)?? Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 4.59.38 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, guys!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) / 2,6 GHz 6‑core Intel Core i7 / 16GB 2667 MHz DDR4 / AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4GB / MacOS Monterey 12.4 / Latest CC Premiere Pro 22.5.0

Have the same problem. I am just doing simple basic cutting fullHD video from gopro8. And Premiere use 68GB of memory! Not rendering, no effects, no even color correction. So, Mac was relunch the system. And it starts again. As much time I work in project as much more ram is used. It was few gb from the start, than 22gb, now 30gb. 

Never had this type of problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your memory allocations in PR preferences?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm allocating the maximum amount of memory to adobe applications that my computer will allow. 

- Installed RAM: 128 GB

- RAM reserved for other applications: 12 GB

- RAM available for Ae, Pr, Pl, Me, Ps, Au: 116 GB

It won't let me increase then RAM allocated to Adobe past that. I feel like that definitely **should** be sufficent, although for some reason it isn't. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's see if Kevin can comment here....

@Kevin-Monahan 

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan, Hi Samgraff,

Sorry for the memory issue. I do not have a magic bullet for this problem, so I apologize. We can try troubleshooting if you don't mind.

I noticed a few things, though. You're running memory-hungry apps like Chrome, Spotify, and Whatsapp. When you are editing, it would be better to leave these applications closed. When editing, you want to run only the editing application so that all resources are focused on editing tasks. See this FAQ: FAQ: Don't run SPOTIFY or CHROME while editing! 

If keeping these memory hogs closed is not enough, try creating a new project and importing the older project into the new one. Importing the older project into the new one can fix any memory leaks introduced in the legacy project. This action often improves projects with memory issues. Please try it.

As a sanity check, I just did an export of a 4K HEVC-based sequence to H.264 via Media Encoder and had no similar issues in Activity Monitor > Memory.

I hope the info helps.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2022 Jul 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin (@Kevin-Monahan)

I don't know if you intended for your response to come off as patronizing, but that's certainly how it reads. I understand you didn't have an issue with your "4K HEVC-based sequence to H.264 via Media Encoder" and neither did I with my 9-year-old 12-Core Mac Pro 64GB trashcan (which I never had to close Chrome, Spotify, and other apps on--none of which are nearly as "memory hungry" as Adobe apps--while using the adobe suite). Once again asking my original question - what is"PproHeadless" and why is it somehow crippling a brand new "top of the line" Apple computer? 

Running other applications simultaneously was never an issue for me with my previoulsy "maxed out" Mac Pro ***while running THIS same premiere project***. I'm not doing anything that I haven't done before. Why am I suddenly experiencing issues with my upgraded (also "maxed out") 2022 Apple machine? This screams "software issue" to me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin's response didn't seem patronizing to me.    It's not always easy to judge someone's level of expertise here and perhaps he underestimated your computer chops.     Try Kevin's suggestion and see if they make any difference.  None of them will be difficult or timeconsuming to try...If they do, post back and maybe we'll be able to close in on the issue.   

My only thought is to increase to RAM allocated to OS and other apps and see if that makes any difference.  You've got a huge amount of RAM and can't imagine that you need that much RAM reserved for Adobe apps.

And here's what I found about PPROHeadless using a quick google search.  "PProHeadless.exe is the Premiere Pro rendereing engine, running in a "headless" mode. Usually, this is from Adobe Media Encoder rendering out a sequence, or perhaps After Effects if you've inserted a PPro sequence using Dynamic Link."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PProHeadless are instances of PR running in the background for other apps, essentially the dynamic link to AME/AE etc.

I'm on Windows 10, PR and AME 22.5.0, and I can't get any PProHeadless. Are they not used on windows anymore?

Sorry; I just don't understand the technical piece here. Your second screenshot shows 3 instances of PProHeadless and the 3 memory amounts there add up to over 200GB.

No, Kevin is amazing and never patronizing. And he's a Mac guy and very devoted to working for us users. I hear your frustration and totally get why this is confusing.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The amount of RAM I allocate to Adobe programs doesn't seem to matter here. Closing other applications doesn't make any difference either. Importing my old project into a new project didn't help. @Kevin-Monahan 

Whenver I try to send several sequences out to Adobe Media Encoder, Adobe eats ALL my membory, I get low memory warnings and everything crashes. This shouldn't be happening considering my computer specs.

The only solution to prevent my computer from crashing is that I literally have to export every sequence manually in Premiere (which is a huge waste of my time as a professional editor). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As a troubleshooting step, try running Premiere in rosetta (the intel version).  Your computer is very new and could be an issue with the new chip...  And the new chips supposedly have a completely new way of dealing with RAM.  

Let us know if it media encoder functions properly in Rosetta...   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines