• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"The project was saved in a newer version of premiere pro and cannot be opened in this version." - Except it wasn't!

Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2014 Sep 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last night I saved a project I've been working on for a couple of days. It's been fine all along. Today, when I went to open it, it's no longer listed in the recently opened files on startup and i get this message:

"The project was saved in a newer version of premiere pro and cannot be opened in this version."

Except it wasn't! I use Premiere CC and it's been fine all along. I can no longer open it at all...

Any thoughts? Very frustrating!

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 24, 2014 Nov 24, 2014

I had this problem and called support.  Following was my problem and resolution.

I created a project at home on my laptop.  When I got to work and tried to reopen it,  I got this message.  “This project contains a sequence that could not be opened. No sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type”.  Turns out the reason was because my laptop was not connected to the internet. You have to have internet access for Creative Cloud to recognize the program is activa

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2015 Jan 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, i did it as u said. it worked. but my timeline is lost , even cannot be found in project panel. whats going on ? help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2015 Jan 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I had the exact same problem

I was working on an old Imac. I've just bought a new one so I installed the Creative Cloud on the brand new baby 😉 and when I wanted to open my Premiere CC 2014 project on the new machine it told me that the project was saved on a newer version. I checked and indeed, for an obscure reason it was the version 8.1 on my old machine and it was 8.0.1 on the new one besides the fact that I installed it AFTER the other one. And Creative Cloud manager was telling me that I was up to date!

So, as MightyKBot did, I quit the Cloud and shutdown. At that moment only, Creative Cloud manager realized that Premiere needed to be upgraded. I've just made the upgrade and everything works fine

Thanx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2015 Apr 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2014 Dec 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm having the same issue, but on a larger scale. I work IT for a small college in San Diego and we are having several students work on the projects at home, bring their work to the campus and they are getting this error. There are no updates available on the campus computers and the students obviously have the latest software on their computers at home. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software on my end, but this is so hit or miss. Some students have this issue, and some do not. Just want to make this clear, everyone is using Adobe CC Premiere Pro 2014. No one is using CS6 or CC. In

Incidentally, this also happens with Indesign. But the same student can open their Photoshop or Illustrator files associated with the Indesign project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2015 Jan 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll add another voice to this thread. It's truly insane that every time Adobe makes an update to their software, we are expected to add this new version of their app to our applications list, as well as multiple versions of every project file.  It adds unnecessary confusion and version madness and working in a place with 5 other editors/graphics artists, file management becomes a full time job (that no one is paying for). Rant over.

So, I have just purchased a brand new Mac Pro, installed the latest Premiere Pro 2014, tried to open a .pproj file on it and got the message you all are getting. The file I am trying to open I had created yesterday on another Mac Pro updated to the latest update.  I do not see a way to get to 8.1, my version says 8.0.1, and there is nothing for me to update. Even so, both computers, the one I created the project on the one I am trying to open it on, list Premiere Pro at 8.0.1. So they should open the same file. One of the computers is running Mavericks and the other Yosemite, but I don't see how that would matter.

Would be nice if an expert from Adobe would chime in with a helpful solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2015 Jan 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2015 Jan 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing this issue.

I made and edited a project on my Mac pro, saved it.

Got a new macbook retina, installed CC and updated all the software, tried to open up the file.

Give me the error that the project was created on a newer version of Premiere CC?

This is weird, as all the software is up to date?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2015 Jan 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to be very carefull which version CC7 or CC14 you open. Its very easy to make a mistake as the icons are the same.

To be on the save side open Premiere first, then the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2015 Jan 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I have problems with opening/saving projects or sequences in premiere, it's normally to do with registration issues/connection issues with creative cloud.

It's a real pain the ass!!

Things that have worked for in the past are stupid shit like logging out of adobe creative cloud, restarting the computer, logging in to creative cloud, restarting the computer, then opening premiere CC again and [hopefully] the registration box thing doesn't pop up.

Then if that doesn't work try changing your password then logging back in on the desktop again.

If you have access to the computer that you saved your original file on, try re-save the file after re-logging out/in of creative cloud... my guess is that the registration info is embedded into the project file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2015 Jan 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same problem, think I may have a fix for you.

Apparently Adobe CC sometimes misses out updates.

Both my machines said they were "up to date" with the latest version of premiere.

Turns out one machine had version 8.0.1 (21)

and the other machine had 8.2.0 (65)

I found this page with direct links to download different versions of premiere:

http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-2014-updates-links-mac.html

You may be able to use that to get both computers synced up on the same version.

Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2015 Jan 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jesuislepop is right. Update checks were semi-disabled from doing that app support file hack on the other machine. I had to fix that file or simply delete it then reinstall CC app manager then reinstall the apps. It said up to date but was not. I forgot to come back here and post my solution but it was on the forums here somewhere actually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2015 Jan 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

had to fix the hacked file that controls update checks*

for clarity

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2015 Feb 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happen to me too, "The project was saved from a previous version from adobe premiere pro must be converted" , I can't open my previous file. It make me crazy, Why update version cannot open from previous version file?? So, in the next update version coming soon, should i stop to update again? i worry about every update would face the same problem again,  i could unable to open bundle of file. T_T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2015 Feb 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason you cannot open 8.2 in 8.0

but you can in 8.0.1 or 8.1.

If you want one of those update download them from here:

All Adobe CC 2014 Updates: The Direct Download Links for Windows | ProDesignTools

All Adobe CC 2014 Updates: The Direct Download Links for Mac OS | ProDesignTools

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ann

I wish that worked for me! Seems to have worked for other people. I've been going through troubleshooting on this thread: Re: Speedgrade Backwards-Incompatible w/ Premiere CC 2014 8.1

Folks with similiar issues might find a solution that will work for them on that thread. No resolution for me yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version do you have installed (see Help / About Premiere Pro)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8.0 - and when I try to install the latest from the links you provided, I get this error. (Tried both 8.2 and 8.1 - for the heck of it).

Adobe_Application_Manager_and_PremierePro_CC_8_2_ftr.jpg

I have tried running the cleaner app, uninstalling and reinstalling, logging out and back in of Creative Cloud manager, can't seem to trigger or get the update. I had to go back and do color correction in Premiere because lost all the grading I did in Speed Grade.

Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2015 Feb 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update!

I found the solution by focusing on the "updates have been suppressed by administrator" angle since I should have been able to update from the direct links. Which lead me to a this thread: Re: adobe application manager fails to update

And the solution that finally worked for me was: to delete or rename the  <Startup Disk>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/AAMUpdaterInventory/1.0/AdobeUpdaterAdminPrefs.dat

There was a huge backlog of updates, not just Premiere, that came through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2015 Mar 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

now its time to switch to other editing software as adobe people have got insane releasing multiple confusing version, they are confused and there software are confused.

I too have a whole marriage sequence complete edited and i can't open it. it says the same the file is created in newer version. I dont know how many newer version these adobe people have created

@

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2015 Mar 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have similar problem.

Create a project with Premiere Pro CC 2014 four months ago on a pc. Now I try to open it in another pc but already I can not open.

I got the message "This project is saved in a newer version of adobe premiere pro and can not be opened in this version"

I installed Premiere Pro CC and I have the same problem

What I can do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Install CC14?

Check the version you are using in About Adobe Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also CC14 latest build projects wont open in CC14 (8.0)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2015 Jun 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My About Adobe Premiere is greyed out... so then what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2015 Jun 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is odd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2015 Jun 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now here is my problem. This post is very effective in telling us how to resolve the issue. "hey you have an older version and you are using it. Just download the newest one". Well...ok. Yeah.

But 2015 apparently has an audio sync problem which was brought up in another post and now I WANT to use 2014. However, when I try to open that file that worked hard on in 2014...no dice. I get the error message listed in this post.

So....now what? Deal with the audio drift? I know. I know. Bad idea. Never finish a product on new software. But COME ON. Thoughts? Ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines