• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resetting In and Out points for clips in the project

Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2013 Nov 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was under the assumption that clips in the project panel were master clips (original untrimmed with no effects) and that dragging them to the timeline creates new versions of the master clips as sub clips.

I have hundreds of clips in my project panel that retained the in and out points of a previous cut.  How do I reset this so that dragging these clips to the timeline adds the entire clips... not a trimmed version.  I can treat each clip individually and extend the in and out points but this is not something I want to do for hundreds of clips.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Nov 09, 2013 Nov 09, 2013

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this has been answered, because the thread is rather long, but you CAN reset in/out points for clips in the project. This was a feature in 7.0.1. To do this, you simply select the clips in the project panel and hit the shortcut key for clear in or out (Opt I/O) or clear in AND out (Opt X).

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,
Nov 09, 2013 Nov 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there you go!

I still don't need it, but I am glad you have it.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 10, 2013 Nov 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Tommmyx25 is asking for is quite legit. Where I am, we call it a stringout. The only difference is that the stringout is usually done at the beginning of the edit. Depending on the type of rushes you have and the genre, Stringouts can be very handy. I find it a lot more useful with genres such as events, reality shows and documentaries where you have a lot of footage of variable length with clips spanning from 5 seconds to over 20 minutes and you may be going through your rushes in a non linear fashion. It is basically the most efficient way to skim through large amounts of rushes and still watch through nearly everything. So yea, it is a legitimate request for an editor who took over a project, and I am glad they made this feature in Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that it is legit, and yes, it is a lot better that it is already there than having to ask for it.

However, I probably would have just used Bridge to watch all of the video before I brought it into Premiere Pro. That way I would not be importing what I knew I would not use.

Or, perhaps doing it your way, I could have created a new project, put it all on a timeline, and watched it all. Then, in the new project, I would have trimmed everything close to the way I might want it, and then imported the new project into the old project to help me figure out what to do next. Use the general idea of the original editor, or start over.

But one of the advantages of using Adobe products is that there are often many ways to do things. And we don't all have to do it the same way. We can suggest multiple ways to achieve a result and the individual editors can make their decisions.

Shooternz and I have been around these forums a long time and have been using Premiere Pro for years. But even we miss some of the new features now and then, so I am glad that you came around to help out. We look forward to seeing you around here more. You could be a handy person to have around!

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I've never been marked "correct". I tried answering a few questions on the Apple forums once, but then I figured it would take me a few years to beat Shane Ross's high score...

There are many ways to do it, but it really depends on weighing the pros and cons of what you are doing. The benefits of doing stringouts is that you can watch through the footage, make sequence markers of the entire scene and you can then see all the markers in the markers panel. This is quite useful if you need to rebuild the content of the edit. For reality shows and events, you need to have everything in the stringout, because the stringout, being a temporal representation of events, also gives the editor a sense of what is actually happening on the ground.

But that said, there has been a lot of improvements in Premiere. It's hard to keep track of them all. My favorite so far has been opt drag to duplicate titles. Now the SG workflow is looking very awesome! It's a great time to be using Premiere!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For reality shows and events, you need to have everything in the stringout, because the stringout, being a temporal representation of events, also gives the editor a sense of what is actually happening on the ground.

That's exactly it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get that. However, since I am a one camera kind of guy (usually), the file names assigned by my camera keeps thing linear in Bridge. So I just keep Bridge open on one monitor and Premiere Pro in the other.

That way I can watch the video, for 10 seconds or 10 minutes, or 2 hours. Once I decide that I want to use the video clip, I can put it directly into an appropriately named bin in my project.

So, while I don't do weddings, it makes for a good explanation. I could create a bin for "Groom", and one for "Bride" and one for "Ceremony", and "Eating", "Dancing", "Toasts", etc. Then just drop the clips in where they belong.

I know there are other ways, but it seems like putting it all on the timeline to watch it leaves a lot of unusable video in the project.

But, as has been said before, lots of ways to skin this cat. And yes, learning about how other people do things is useful.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just marked strypesinpost's answer as correct... so thank you for that.

Steven, aside from finding an answer, it's the constructive discussions we have in the middle that makes the forum so valuable.  I don't always have the best workflow but I always welcome new ones and sometimes hope to offer solutions of my own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shooternz and I have been around these forums a long time and have been using Premiere Pro for years. But even we miss some of the new features now and then,

Interesting thats its a hidden "function" (ie not  in the Right Click Menu ) ...but more interesting that someone even stumbled on it.

BTW - I miss lots of stuff thats even obvious as all get out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy ****.  THANK YOUUUUUU!

You might want to mark his answer as "Correct". It will help other people who might come along later to know that it solved the problem. And, it adds to his point total, so that people know he has been helpful.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came across this thread because I was looking for a solution to clear the IN and OUT point on multple clips at once.

I first picked all the clips in my project panel, then held down Ctrl+Shift and then pressed 'I' and then 'O' (on Windows 10).

Hope this helps.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines