• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Storage Question

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you do for storage and backup?  I purchased a 4 TB external drive which will hold the video I take but I want a backup.  I use dropbox in my office and I could use it for the video but I thought I'd ask more experienced people what they do.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anymore I edit & work with several internal very new "3rd generation" SSD drives, including an m.2. "Storage" is on 4TB & bigger old-style spinning disks, which I can mount & fire up at need easily. All current projects and their media are on the SSD's, all 'archived' projects/media moved to multiple spinners on the shelf.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use an LTO-6 drive. The cost per GB is perfect for storing finished projects. 6TB Cartridges are about 35$.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use an external USB3 dock with fan to swap bare drives to have several copies http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SuperSpeed-Docking-Station-Cooling/dp/B0055PL2YI

Or another option http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147511

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased a 4 TB external drive which will hold the video I take but I want a backup.

That should be your backup.  Edit from internal drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trawler042 - Everyone has their own method. But I'd recommend having local portable SSD drives + a larger RAID system. I have two LaCie rugged drives and then a larger RAID desktop drive. RAID = Redundant Array of Independent Disks, which spreads and copies data throughout all the disks in the enclosure, so if one fails the data is safe on other drives. I've listed the products I use here in my kit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is all amazing.  I hate showing my age but I remember my first computer had the 5" floppies and the computer, mono screen (green) and keyboard were all one unit.  I also got a typewriter that plugged in to the computer and was the printer.  $5,200!

Not sure why these replies reminded me of that other than we sure have come a long way.

Thanks for all the replies.  Considering I have one movie and a group of clips for it, I don't need much now.  But, these were great advice which I will follow as I grow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Trawler042  wrote

Not sure why these replies reminded me of that other than we sure have come a long way.

Actually - not so much. The basics of backup - 5" floppies or SSD - still come down to the same thing:

redundancy.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines