• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Animation: Making words in a sentence fade in one word at a time?

May 28, 2010 May 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody!

I am not very experienced with the text animations in Adobe Premiere Pro (I am running CS4).

How do I create a sentence of text where one word fades in at a time until the full sentence is present? The only way I can think of doing this is the extremely tedious and hard way, which is making each word a title and fading them in and out, and even then, making sure the spacing and placement of the words follow a straight line would be very difficult... there must be a more efficient way, right? Is there some sort of preset I have missed?

Thank you very much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 29, 2010 May 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no preset in PPRo to do this and basically you know what you have to do.

But it can be done a bit easier.

Set up the whole sentence in a title. (Formatted as you wish to see at the final point)

Then create:  a  "New Title Based on Current Title" (Title menu option when your title is open)

Delete a word at a time and repeat the process between words ( ie New Title Based on Current Title )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An alternative to Craig's suggestion is to apply a crop effect to the title and keyframe it in such a way that the words appear one by one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi shooternz, Harm Millaard and Bill Hunt,

Thank you all for your informative responses! I'll be sure to try these different methods and see what works best.

Right now I'm trying Harm's suggestion, with the cropping effect and the key frames. However, I should point out that I have only been working with Premiere Pro for a few weeks to a month and I am unfamiliar with how keyframes work, especially with "holding" them and what not. As far as I can tell I am only able to use the key frames to adjust the fade in, but I cannot find a way to increase or decrease the crop area using the keyframes. May someone be able to enlighten me on how I can enlarge / minimize the cropping "rectangle" as time goes by to achieve an effect of words fading in by using keyframes?

Thank you for bearing with such a novice as myself, your help is greatly appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend using the Keyframes in their mini-Timeline in the Effects Edit Panel. I also use the numerical settings (can be typed in, or scrubbed), to control the Effects. With the Crop Effect, you can Keyframe all four settings, Top, Bottom, Left and Right independently.

To do a "hold," just place one Keyframe at the end of a setting, and another with that same value along the Timeline to the Duration desired. There are Hold Keyframes, but I'd keep it very simple for now.

Now, this is from an earlier version of Pr, but the general tips will be the same (some additional features and a new look added) on Basic Keyframing.

The manual (do they still do those?), and the Help files will give you details, but getting the initial concept down can be a bit daunting. However, once you get your head around the concept and located the position of the various controls, you will NEVER look back, and then the Help files will make a ton mores sense. Also, once you "get it," much of Keyframing translates to AfterEffects too - just some different names and controls, but the same main concept.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answered like a legend! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly how you do this will depend on whether you have a Title of one line, or multiple.

For a one line Title, Harm's way is easy, or one can use Linear Wipe.

For a multi-line Title, then animating Track Matte Keying would be a method to reveal one word at a time.

I have done some "handwriting" Titles, where the letters (with a handwriting font) are partially revealed, as though one is writing on a chalkboard. For this, I set the Title up in PS and then used a Layer Mask and a series of Layer Comps to create the effect of handwriting. I did an Export>Layer Comp for each version, just painting in/out the Layer Mask, and then Imported the Layer Comp PSD's into PrPro with a Duration of about 02 sec. I used short Duration Cross-dissolves between these.

There are also several plug-in titlers, like BluffTitler and ProDAD's Heroglyph, that do have Presets for similar to what you want, but I like to do it by hand, as each Project has different requirements (and maybe each Title in a Project), and I can get what I want, without having to fiddle with attributes in a Preset.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2014 Jan 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

For AE CS6 at least. Once you have typed your text, Highlight the word or words you want to animate and then right click mouse and choose "add text sector"

You wll then see a animator appear in your text properties in your composition and a arrow that opens to show you the range selctor that dictates where the animation will take place. From here just Click the Add: button and choose the animation you want.

Careful not to play with the range settings as they will change what you are animating.

Hope this helps someone?

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2014 Jan 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moved to CS4 and Earlier.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2015 Jan 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suffering this problem but in ADOBE FLASH (CS5) - Any help appreciated greatly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2015 Jan 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ask in the Flash forum:

Flash Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it just me or is it absolutely egregious that premiere doesn't have a way to do this automatically yet like AE does? Especially since this is the main program for creating captions. Adobe, why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2023 Dec 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can't believe that in 2023, Adobe's selection of video transitions and effects is that primitive, especially compared to Final Cut Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines