• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What’s the difference between Quick Sync and Nvenc?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Hello, I'm just wondering what the difference is between Intel's Quick sync and Nvidia's Nvenc. Can they work together to make the process faster? Or am I choosing one or the other to encode/decode/render/export. Thanks for the help. 
TOPICS
Editing , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Media Encoder people have said you can use them both together. They are both similar but as of now they do not support all the different variations of H.264/265. Intel's new CPUs slated for 2021 should support more variations of H.264/265. In 2021 I would still opt for Intel over AMD because of Intel's Quick Sync features. It is good to have Nvenc and Quick Sync. Keep in mind they both only help for endocding and decoding H.264/265. The video below might be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L-erwmRxAU&feature=emb_logo

This video demonstrates how to enable GPU acceleration and GPU encoding and decoding. It also shows how to enable Intel's Quick Sync. Resolve https://amzn.to/3NcL1zP Adobe CC 1 year https://amzn.to/3Da0qMN All links are monetized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply and the video! So from what I understand it usually comes down to a choice in hardware acceleration settings between Nvenc or quick sync and the only way to use them somewhat together would be through the media encoder while exporting multiple videos with the two different hardware acceleration settings? From what I've researched recently Nvenc is the faster of the two hardware acceleration choices. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nvenc used to be faster but Premiere Pro is starting to make better use of Intels Quick Sync. I opt to use Quick Sync because my GPU will run hotter using Nvenc. The CPU does not get hot using Quick Sync. Keep in mind even the RTX 2080 will not encode and decode all the variations of H.264/265 but the new Intel CPUs with the IGPU should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the link! It was helpful and informative. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines