• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When I export to MP4 it creates an M4V instead.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2013 Sep 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've been successfully using Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 for quite some time now.  But my recent video has some exporting issues.

For some reason whenever I export my video to an MP4 format (H.246), the export will either take 5+ hours (for a 20 minute video) or it will take 15 minutes (same exact work area).  In both cases I end up with an unreadable .mp4 file and an additional .m4v file (no clue why this suddenly gets created, it never has before), but in the latter case (when it only takes 15 minutes to export), the output file is only about 24 bytes.

The ONLY thing I've done different in this video than past videos is I used 2 MP3 files (audio only) for an intro and outro music on the video. 

I always make sure to choose 'render entire work area' before exporting.

Does anyone know why my exported files are unreadable using the above information?  I've made dozens of videos prior to this one all using the same recording gear with no issues during export.  The only difference this time is the addition of the .mp3 file used as another audio source added to the work area/final video. 

Any help or suggestions on how to fix this or what I'm doing wrong would be great!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jul 16, 2014 Jul 16, 2014

This problem has also been plaguing me today. Here are my specifics and how I solved it (Expanding on what

CONFIRMED WORK AROUND! The .m4v file gets created while encoding, but Adobe Media Encoder does not re-pack it back into the .mp4 unless you select the "Export Audio" in Adobe Premier export prior to queuing. If you don't want audio, mute the individual tracks and still export audio.

My details:

Just bought a GH4, shooting 4k 25fps MOV, trying to simply trim a few clip

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2014 Jul 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem has also been plaguing me today. Here are my specifics and how I solved it (Expanding on what

CONFIRMED WORK AROUND! The .m4v file gets created while encoding, but Adobe Media Encoder does not re-pack it back into the .mp4 unless you select the "Export Audio" in Adobe Premier export prior to queuing. If you don't want audio, mute the individual tracks and still export audio.

My details:

Just bought a GH4, shooting 4k 25fps MOV, trying to simply trim a few clips and export them as H.264 .mp4 with no audio. (By the way it would be nice if we could export 4k .MOV files from the camera back into .MOV once finished editing, but in premier that frame resolution is not supported)

Specs: Mac Mini, Quad Core i7, 16GB Ram, OSX 10.9.4, Adobe Premier Pro CS6 6.0.5, Adobe Media Encoder 6.0.2.81

Hope that helps anyone with the same prob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2014 Sep 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been digging through forums and Google for hours now...Thanks for solving my problem!

Can anyone offer insight into why this is? Why do you end up with an m4v when you disable audio in Media Encoder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2016 Feb 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Landsharkk, that problem happens when you export an h264 video without audio. Even if you work without audio, remember select audio and video checkbox on the export dialog and mp4 extension will appear correctly.

Greetings from Chile!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've followed every video on youtube, every forum discussion and still i got 2 separate files. Can't  export an mp4 file no matter what i do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old thread, but just in case someone comes accross it (like me), make sure all tracks are selected on your timeline (they should all be highlighted like in the screen shot).  If one track is missed you'll see this issue when encoding.  I hope this helps! Tracks.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting!!! These other solutions weren't helping... thanks for taking the time to post bro...I been searching forums for almost an hour and u solved my prob! Probably helped alot of others that didn't take the time to thank you... so I'm thanking you for them too;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try rendering out a small clip to see if it still happens. If not, it could be because you don't have enough space on your drive for the compression. That was my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also clear cache and reboot if necessary. I'm actually still having this problem and none of the solutions have worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help! I'm having the same problem after five attempts to render a full movie which is taking 20 hours each time. I've tried all of the suggestions above but I'm still getting m4v. Any ideas why this is happening? When I render a small sample it comes out fine, but when I render the full movie I get m4v. I have 60 gigs free on the drive I'm rendering to, I've cleared the cache in both PP and Media Encoder. Both audio and video are checked, mp4 is selected in multiplexer. I've reset the settings on PP, rebooted computer. I don't know what else to do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved:

My problem was the external drive that I was using. I had to reformat the drive. Once I did, the exports worked fine giving me just one Mp4. If you're having this problem with the m4v issue, try exporting to a different drive to see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. Was driving me mad. No solution mentioned here helped but this one: export to antother drive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use HEVC(H.265), it worked for me. It exported a mp4 file with full HD quality and i didn't have to mute or delete audio from the video which i included with the mp3 file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same issue -- wondering if it is a media encoder update? -- but seem to have fixed it by reinstalling both Premiere and Media Encoder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Often, that appears to be the case before Premiere actually finishes the process. Many users found that five minutes later, the file had shifted extensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines