• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is Encore not being updated to CC?

Participant ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used Adobe for 2 years now and love what Encore allows me to do in DVD authoring.  With the new CC suite, I'm not sure I understand why this product is being "dropped".  I know that those that don't have it can install it, however I'm not sure why Adobe dropped it as in the Mac world I don't know of a DVD authoring software package that does what Encore does.

One of the things I was hoping they would fix was the output for DVD images does not change from project to project.  If I have Project 1 and I have it create a DVD image and give it a folder and file name of Project1.iso and then open another project, Project 2, it does not chnage the ISO name saved when I closed Project 2.  It still says Project 1 (and if the folder path is long, you can't even see the iso name unless you click in the field and scroll all the way to the right).

Is everyone still using Encore or is there yet another option out there that gives as much flexability in creating paths and navigation the way that Encore does?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

1st, you may still use Encore CS6 http://blogs.adobe.com/davtechtable/ just not with Dynamic Link (which sometimes has problems anyway, for some people)

2nd, I have not used it, but there is an Encore alternative http://www.deskshare.com/dvd-authoring-burning-software.aspx

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird comment.

Ending Encore wasn't Adobe's decision to make. They only licensed the main part of the authoring code from someone, who shut it down. Adobe had no options other than creating an entirely new app from the ground up involving licensing another authoring software code. Which their prognosicators thought wasn't going to pay for the cost of creating.

Neil

By @R Neil Haugen

It was indeed a weird comment - I could not agree more.

Also it was great to read you confirming absolutely what I stated as the reason for Encore being shut down - the licensed authorcore was no longer available. Nice move, Rovi.

BUT - and this is really important - this is thankfully no longer the case, as the old employees of Sonic Solutions have done a buy-out, and relaunched as 'Scenarist LLC' with ongoing development of Scenarist in both SD and BD forms again (my support is now fully up to date again which is great news).

I would bet my left leg that they would be very open to Adobe re-licensing the AuthorCore that was used in Encore, or an equivalent version - has anybody even asked?

OS would not be an issue either, as I still use Windows 7 Professional (and despite the claims to the contrary, W7 Pro is still supported by Microsoft although you have to buy this support on an annual basis and it is only available for the Pro version, not the Home version) and SCenarist LLC have indicated to me that they have no plans to prevent installation & correct operation on Windows 7 systems either, as long as they are running in 64-bit of course - let us be honest, these tools all use the DVD-Video specifications and the Blu-ray specifications and for all Blu-ray authors compatibility with Profile 1 is really a given as there are still a lot of P1 players out there as these cost north of 4 figures to buy when new.

Scenarist LLC are really, really nice people, easy to deal with & extremely helpful. Someone in Aobe should get in touch with them, as especially in these days of never ending lockdowns imposed on us by the lefty snowflakes as part of their agenda to promote fear the sales of replicated mediia are climbing rapidly. Replicated content will always be King, and Adobe are missing a trick by no longer offering their paying clients a way to produce actual discs - and given that Scenarist LLC are now offering a monthly subscription model as well, I can easily see people decamping away from Adobe if they don't get this happening sooner rather than later.

This is all my personal opinion - I have not asked them if they would consider re-licensing as it is not my place to do so, but when you remember they are in business to make money for their stakeholders I would be extremely surprised if an approach to relicense from Adobe was rebuffed.

Adobe only have their customers to lose if they don't.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear Scenarist is "back". Yea, I think there's still a market for 'hard copy' optical media, though a niche one now for certain.

And ... with Adobe, you always need to understand there is a distinct divide between the program people for things like Premiere Pro, Photoshop et al and the M&E ... marketing & experience ... folk that run the company.

The program people tend to be pretty interesting, knowledgeable, and passionate about the app they and their users work in.

Those M&E folk see everything as "metrics". Datapoints. It's a very different Universe they ... inhabit or whatever it is that they "do". (Is anything really ... real?)

You, me, everyone else 'here' ... we're just datapoints, theoretical data to use to run their mathematical models. I've been through in-person interviews over say how users get into mogrt production work with M&E people. Very ... unique ... experience.

And the M&E folks seem to think The Future doesn't include profitable niche markets. Sigh. So I doubt we'll get a revitalized Encore, much as I would love it if we did!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the support - much appreciated, for certain.

IMO Adobe are really missing the point here, as it is simply not true to claim nobody wants physical media. The truth is that Big Tech companies are yet again trying to force their world view onto everyone else and this is a trend we are seeing in almost every walk of life these days. Without getting political, one has to ask the question 'WHY?'

I believe these few companies have far too much power. They try to deny this but it is a truth that will not go away now as everywhere we look these days Big Tech is trying to tell people how they should think & feel about everything & deplatforming anybody who disagrees with them. This is starting to get extremely dangerous to my way of looking at things - I know we are 'only' talking about DVD and Blu-ray here, but preventing people from releasing their work is the first step down an extremely slipperly slope that eventually leads to places we all would not like to see the inside of. Streaming On Demand (aka 'SOD') is very, very restrictive because as we see on a daily basis with Google's YouTube it is ridiculously easy for work to be deleted & whole channels to get restricted or even deleted simply because the left wing moderators don't like what is being said, shown or proposed - and it is not just the obvious targets either (although much the same 'reasoning' (if you can call it that) is being utilized.

I have seen YT channels that argue against the 'standard theory' of mankind allegedly 'evolving out of Africa' being deleted, their videos being removed and the channels getting wiped off the platform simply because they argue that the actual archaeological evidence proves that the standard theories are wrong. People lose their careers (ask Virginia Steen-McIntyre what happens when an archaeologist follows the evidence that goes against the 'accepted wisdom' of the mainstream! She followed the evidence at Hueyatlaco (I hope I have spelled this correctly) in saying that they had uncovered evidence of modern man being there 200,000 and more years ago and if it were not for physical media I would never have known most of what she uncovered.

Adobe need to get this sorted out. Not only for the above reasons, but because with CS6 suites people bought permanent (ie perpetual) licenses - they paid full price for a product that got dropped, leaving them with media they cannot produce on systems that will not now authorize with their serial numbers either - a good friend of mine on Mac cannot install Encore via Premiere CS6 at all, because the serial number will not get authorized any longer. The same thing happened to me with the DTS-HD MAS encoder suite in January. I paid £1500 for this and have the license on my iLOK, yet January 1 2021 rolls around & suddenly I am getting 'configuration file errors' - my expensive encoder no longer runs because of a deliberate time bomb (I know this is the case as I wrote to DTS support, who told me that this product is no longer supported, and I needed to buy an upgrade to the new Mac OS only one, or else I could try resetting my system clock to before January 2021!!) and Adobe/DTS are not the only ones doing this.

It is at best insidious, and Adobe need to get physical media back on their table sooner rather than later.

Sorry for the rant - but this constant claim that 'nobody uses Physical Media' any longer has to stop being parroted all the time as it is simply not true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Couldn't agree more.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2014 Jan 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still using Encore.  I also used DVD Studio Pro very heavily, previous to this.  I am rather disappointed with the lack of support from Apple and now Adobe regarding their DVD/BR systems.  They are forgetting the cardnial rules of business.  Supply and Demand.  Consumers are still seeking these products, and regardless of how fast they would like to jump the gun and erase all physical discs, the majority of the free world is still using them as well as seeking them out.

Early technology adopters are but a small percentage of the consumer base.

I order to make this work you have to go old school, meaing do most of the work manually and find creative work arounds for the bugs.  And there are quite a few.  Get on your job Adobe.  

Support The Disc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2014 Jan 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Support The Disc.

Yes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 10, 2014 Apr 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil for your great post of authoring alternatives to Encore, I'll definitely look into them.

But I think we should keep this thread active to show Adobe there's a great number of CC users that really need a CC version of Encore. Despite correcting the various bugs of the software, it would allow us to use Encore with Photshop CC for menus, and with Premiere Pro CC to send timelines over. And it will garanty that it will work on Mac OS XI or Windows 9.

I've tried to launch a poll to see how many users are really needing an update for Encore, but the option doesn't seem available to me. Any encore enthusiast around here willing to open a poll ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 11, 2014 Jun 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I produce video for a living and while in many instances I may merely put it online or deliver it to the customer via a hard drive there are just as many instances of me needing to burn projects to DVD, for example wedding videos. If there is not support for creating DVD's after editing a project then what exactly are we to do with the project Adobe when it needs to be delivered to the customer in a way they can play the video???

Obviously this is the trend, moving away from support from physical media distribution, even Microsoft is doing it. My XBox doesn't play blu-ray, which I felt it should, but I found somewhere when I was looking into it that Microsoft is moving away from that.

So, how are we supposed to deliver our work if we don't use physical media??? If I have an hour long, personal project I produce for someone and it needs to have chapters and a menu, what is the alternative???? Adobe shouldn't take something away or stop supporting something when there's no sure alternative!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2014 Jun 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. The alternatives are poor or very expensive. Adobe needs to review Encore or integrate into Premiere. Blu-Ray is the still a very viable medium.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2014 Oct 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These instructions do not work any longer at least for my work environment and I followed the steps very carefully regarding "previous versions". Basically Premiere Pro does not even show up and I scrolled up and down all the way.  Caveat being my institution has a site license for CC - we had a site license for CS6 and were able to install Encore with no issues.

Encore CS6 not installed with Creative Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5-thru-CC PPro/Encore tutorial list http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1448923 will help

The bottom section of the link above has several Adobe links, and other information, on downloading Premiere Pro CS6 and the bundled Encore CS6, and the TWO ADDED downloads for the Encore library content, to author a DVD or BluRay... and the tutorial list includes learning how to use Encore... pay particular attention to the picture in reply 3 at this link - https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516173 (picture first posted by Ann Bens and reposted by Stan Jones)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not believe the nature of the subscription should matter; you should have access to CS6 versions, including Premiere Pro and therefore Encore.

The procedure/links have varied over the life of this thread. You are using the correct link for the latest info. I suggest that you start new thread, so any resolution is easier to find.

Post a screenshot there of what you are seeing when you select previous versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2014 Oct 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, your help is greatly appreciated.  The links will actually come in handy for my user base.

I found my issue with Adobe Premiere not showing up in the Creative Cloud Desktop Application previous versions was related to the computer being on a Win7 - 32 bit O/S .

32-bit Support | Production Premium CS6, Master Collection CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2014 Oct 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting that. I forget that issue, and that it affects being able to add Encore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2014 Nov 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks, my name is Maurice, I've been learning and doing recording of some type for about 10+ years now; I'm just recently working towards doing freelancing and Premiere is my main tool right now. I've very recently shot a church service where I was paid $120 for 4 hours of shooting(Less than desired but I'm just getting my foot in the door). I already delivered through email links to YouTube where I broke the whole service into several videos.

But now the church is asking for a DVD, as mentioned by other people, the trend might be to move away from physical media but there are still people out here that like a actual disc,dvd,cassette ect in their hand that they can play at home. In my situation older churches or churches in poorer areas will tend to have older people that are not up to date on the latest Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and social media craze. The leaders of these churches might have email but their overall congregation might not even have or be use to that. Long story short, I was asked to deliver a dvd. Of all the video projects I've done other than using Movie Maker to create a simple DVD i never tried it with any adobe software.

Reading all the post going back to 2013 it sounds like I wont have much luck getting much support from Adobe with my OEM version of Encore. If Adobe is moving away from Encore then my question is if I'm using Premiere for my video edits, what's the best DVD software to use with Premiere so I can output to DVD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short answer: use Encore.  What version of Premiere do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the CS6 Master collection OEM. But since I never really made DVDs I never thought to check Encore. Most my output is usually for online; but now that I need to do DVD's I find out that Encore didnt install correctly. But is there any reasonable DVD creation software that can be used after I export my premiere projects ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One option that we have some feedback on:

Sony DVD Architect

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/dvdastudio

If you have a licensed version of CS6, you should be able to install Encore.

I just ran my original download installer (for Production Premium CS6), and the options I got gave me a check box for Encore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2014 Nov 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand Adobe's stance that "The trend in the video and broadcast industry is moving away from physical media distribution"; however, as trends go, not everyone jumps on-board right away. 

My recommendation is just simply remove Encore as an attachment to Premiere CS6 and add it to the previous version list on creative cloud with everything else.  It doesn't have to be improved or brought up to CC level.  Just give us easier access.  You did it with Fireworks.  Do it with Encore.

As the creative director of a multi-million dollar manufacturing company, I work with retailers and sales reps all over the world.  Many of them want the latest and greatest innovations.  Others are holding onto technology they know.  None of them can turn on a dime to adjust to changing "trends."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a great idea (separate Encore to its own installer), but I believe it is more complicated to implement that it might appear. In addition to the sonic licensing (which might have to be changed to make it standalone), the mpeg licensing might also be an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure.. I get that.  Things are always more complicated than they appear. But why spend the time, money, and effort to write, shoot, edit, and distribute an 18 minute video to show you how to get Premiere CC and Encore to work together instead of spending those resources making them work together. (Using Premiere Pro CC & Encore CS6 for Bluray, DVD, and Interactive Video for iPad,ATV, and Mobile H...) Or at the very least use those resources to make program more accessible.

As for licensing.  Yeah, I deal with products that my company licenses from time to time and there is allot of fine print on how and where they can be used.  But mpeg is obviously already licensed to use with Premiere CS6 and the video I pointed out above clearly states using it as a stand alone program with Premiere CC.  So, you are really are just looking at how encore is accessed. And even there, whether it comes through Premiere CS6 or on its on, you are still getting it through the Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2015 May 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is one workaround I'm curious if anyone has considered - before I get in so deep I can't get out.

1. I heard that Adobe Media Encoder was far superior than Compressor . . .does it not export as .m2v and .ac3 in one shot in batches from the timeline?
  2. Will Adobe Media Encoder ingest ProRes files and export as .m2v and .ac3?
  3. Can anyone suggest tutorials or direction for our studio that produces dance recitals and music events to DVD based on the workflow change below? Parents have NOT even BEGUN to ask about not getting DVD's. It's more years away than the industry is forcing us into. We've been surveying them - 95% want the events on DVD long term. We also do digital as an add-on to be ready for the transition.

If you look at our workflow, and you have ANY advice whatsoever, we have 5 workstations, do graphics on everything and super elaborate DVD authoring and effects with phenomenal effects, drop zones, and templates from Digital Juice.

This is our CURRENT workflow being forced to change because of Maverick and Yosemite:

OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion -> FCP7 -> Motion -> combined in FCP7 -> export via Compressor to .m2v/.ac3 -> DVD Studio Pro

We are trying to reconfigure this flow but not able to plan it out:

OSX 10.9 Maverick -> CC Premier -> After Effects -> combined in Premier (hopefully?) -> export to Adobe Media Encoder out as .m2v/.ac3? or Pro Res with add-on? -> WHAT CAN WE DO? Encore? or keep an older operating system on one workstation to just use DVD Studio Pro as last step?

Last question, as closely as I have studied this thread, I can't figure out how to get Encore on my MacPro (Maverick) from Creative Cloud. I didn't have any CS prior.

Utterly amazed the entire software world has just abandoned DVD Authoring as an entire business? or have I misinterpreted this thread?

Thank you to all on this thread, it has been discouraging, but very informative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 03, 2015 May 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bearguy9.

To try & answer your 3 workflow questions:

1 - Yes it does, although not owning a mac I cannot possibly comment on how good (or not) Apple's Compressor is.

2 - Yes it will - we use ProRes all the time with no trouble at all. Even on PC.

3 - There are still applications out there, although what you can get for Mac OS is well outside my knowledge. PC always was the way to go for authoring applications.

I still stand by the statement/speculation I made previously as to why Encore was dropped, and I firmly believe it was nothing to do with "the industry is moving away from replicated media" as this is pure BS. Yes, DVD sales are down but this is mainly because the major labels are not releasing stuff anybody wants to buy in music terms and most of what they did release was poor quality - I know I got sick to death of second rate live concert films that looked as if they had been shot in hand held cameras using Dolby Digital for the audio content - a music release should never use anything except LPCM to my mind as AC3 is the DVD equivalent of MP3 and simply should not be welcome on any music release. It's been well proved that if you make the discs of good quality with desirable content, people will buy them.

Streaming on demand is a flash in the pan that will soon go away as well - it will linger on for low quality stuff but not much more. Let's look at the downsides that somehow never get mentioned:

1 - Choice is actually quite limited once you get past the first few weeks of any service. Netflix looks like it has a lot, but it doesn't, not really - less than old style rental stores used to carry.

2 - Bandwidth is limited for probably 75% of internet connections. I see advertised "deals" with caps from 5 to 20Gb "usage allowance" - that is usage, not download. In the current economy most people will vote with their wallets. T'interweb is great for emails, cat photos etc but for most people it is an expensive luxury to have unrestricted access (mine costs me £100 every month)

3 - No streaming company has ever actually made a profit in the long term. I suspect the reason Rovi bought Sonic Solutions (the people who owned the author core for Encore) was specifically to shut them down and remove the competition, which considering their main business is streaming on demand, makes perfect sense to me.

4 - People have been saying "CD is dead" and "Vinyl is dead" for years now yet both refuse to go away.

Replicated content is - and always will be - king.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines