• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows 10 External Monitor glitch... tons of other issues... time to go back to Mac?

Contributor ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just bought a tricked out custom laptop for editing as the new MacBook Pros seem like duds.  Unfortunately, I may be returning my Windows laptop as I'm experiencing glitch after glitch. There are a bunch of small issues, but a biggie is external monitors.  I've tried three different monitors, and all have this problem.  I have the main Premiere program running off my laptop monitor.  On my external monitor I have the full-screen video output so my client can see the work.  All seems to be working fine.

Then I turned off the video output so I could open a bunch of bins on the external monitor to insert B-roll.  I cut the B-roll shots into the timeline, then turned back on the video feed... but it didn't show up on the external monitor.  Instead, it puts the video feed as a small window floating in the middle of the Source Monitor and the Program Monitor (see picture below).

The only way I've found to make it go away is to close all bins on the external monitor.  This really isn't an acceptable work-around because it means every time I want to add B-roll, I need to turn off the video output, open the bins, resize them, place them, delete all bins, turn on the video output until I need more B-roll, then turn off the video output, open the bins, resize them, place them, delete all bins, turn on the video output, etc., ad nauseam.

The monitor issue is one of the big ones.  But in the four days I've had this computer (and not super heavy use), I'm also having this problem:  Timeline Scrolling Issue - Vertical Scrolling using a mouse doesn't work properly (in Timeline only) , this problem: windows 10 - Mouse cursor much larger on secondary displays - Super User , this problem of Windows opening menu options when you're trying to use the ALT key for keyboard shortcuts: Mouse Scroll Wheel Behavior in Adobe Premiere Pro​ as well as the fact that there doesn't seem to be a standardized keyboard with Windows.... my wireless external keyboard has the modifier keys in completely different places as well as totally different function keys -- making developing a "muscle memory" with keyboard shortcuts very tricky.  Also spent over two hours with Adobe tech support just to install Creative Cloud on a brand new laptop (though he was really helpful and did eventually get everything working). 

I'm concerned about what else I might run into... I really wanted to jump to Windows, but the boost in power is useless if the basic functions of Premiere don't work and I'm constantly troubleshooting.  I really would like to make the switch, but at this point I'm wondering if it's a feasible option.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

15" Sager custom laptop with 4K screen

Nvidia GTX 1070

6th Generation Intel Skylake i7-6820HK 2.7GHz

64 gigs of RAM

PC - Windows 10

Latest version of CC

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will your system support a 3rd display so that you can dedicate the 2nd to Mercury Playback for full screen preview and the 3rd to Bins?

I know it's not ideal, but if it worked you could keep that sweet laptop configuration.

Or perhaps consider adding a Blackmagic Intensityy USB3 breakout box for driving the full frame previews.

There are rumors of more powerful MacBook Pros coming next year, but I think it's gonna be a really long wait.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you managed to find a fix for the floating display? I'm trying something a little odd and trying to add my android phone, over wifi, as a third monitor, displayed in portrait mode (I make lots of social content that essentially being seen on phones, so figure its a semi useful mastering tool). I can get the phone working as a display/extended win 10 desktop no worries, but that damn floaty window persists.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D Golf,

In General Preferences for double click, is it set to Open New Tab for double click? That may assist you. Try it and let us know.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin, thanks for getting back. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to solve the issue. Under preferences>playback, the wireless display is recognised as 'Adobe Monitor 3' 1440x2560, and I've enabled/ticked it. When I untick it, the floaty monitor dissappears. I've also tried creating a reference monitor and opening that in the wireless display, but the glitch persists until  I untick the display.

I should also mention that in windows I have my display properties set so that the wireless display is in portrait mode. And it works without a hitch (playing back video, web browsing etc etc) its only when I I enable this monitor in premiere that we get the error.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sounds like what you want to do is not yet available as an option. Can you file the issue here for us? I like your idea of being able to monitor in portrait mode but I fear the device may not be up to par. Can you try a standard monitor tilted on its side?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin, yeah I'll file the issue.

I had some developments: whilst in Premiere, I reset the app (Spacedesk) for the phone/wireless display. Everything worked. The glitchy floaty window was gone and I could see my timeline/program monitor displayed perfectly on my phone. I managed to walk to the far end of our office and playback was perfect.

But unfortunately have been unable to replicate this. Repeating all the steps is not working and the glitchy floaty window is back.

Weird, but promising.

And flipping display orientation properties hasn't fixed the issue.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with floating window (full playback) between 2nd and 3rd monitor on my pc desktop ( Premiere Pro 2018 and Win 10, GFX 950, cpu amd fx6300). Issues gone when i close folders on 2nd display but  it,s no solution. I am very disapointed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do this a lot and have not had this issue.  Do you have the same scaling set for both screens in Window's display settings?  On many programs it causes problems to have one set to 100% and another set to 150% (for example).  I always make sure mine are set to the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have this problem only in win10 and PPro 2018. In win8.1 and last PPro 2017 everything working ok. Windows scaling is the same. Thanks for answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines