• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add a crossfade by overlapping audio or video clips in the timeline

Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current way to add and manipulate transitions on the timeline is a sort of "guess & check" method, you've got to have the right amount of handle frames before you add it, and the way it is displayed isn't very visually appealing.

I propose adding the same functionality that Audition has, where overlapping clips will automatically create a crossfade. This is an incredibly intuitive way of handling transitions, and can also be applied to Video transitions (as is done on other professional NLEs). See attached gif for an explanation of what I mean.

Currently, overlapping clips on the timeline will create a cut. For editors that use this functionality as a shortcut (no pun intended), this "auto crossfade" feature would be optional (easy to toggle on/off on-the-fly).

I think this would be a great way to increase productivity for transitions, as well as avoid accidentally losing your work by inadvertently overlapping clips when moving things around en masse on the timeline!
Idea No status
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
13 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IT COULD BE GREAT!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's how Vegas Pro works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think they don't because overlapping is a way to delete tracks in premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In response to Emilio's comment, for those who use overlapping as a way to delete things, this would be an option that one could toggle on/off, similar to "linked selection", or snapping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe do it with a modifier button. Like... overlapping with alt pressed down means transition, while not pressing alt means it trims like before

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see how this could be quite handy, and the fact that you have the gif of it in action in Audition really illustrates the concept because I wasn't sure what you meant when expressed in words.

This would DEFINITELY need to something optional though. If this happened every time, by default I'd be furious. I slide segments on a timeline all the time when editing and at least some of the time that may well be audio clips.

What I would like to see though is better management of transitions when one actively chooses to apply one. Presently it's impossible to do without having to switch to using the mouse, and while there are multiple transition types for both vision and audio, you can't simply apply a default and transition and then change it to whichever type you'd like, you have to use the drag and drop methodology and choose from the effects menu.

This'd be great for doing an audio pass after editing is finished though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree it'd be a useful option, but like Anonymous and Johan Meimsten suggest, it would be best if it were an option that's activated with a modifier button, NOT just the default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, having this feature would be fine, but please do NOT have this be the default behavior, with no option to go back to the old way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is how Sony Vegas behaves, back when i was using Vegas some years ago. I guess it's a habit thing - but I found the :auto-cross-fade" when clips overlap much more convenient than the current "overwrite" when clips overlap. But as others have stated, if the default behavior could be set in preferences or something, that would be great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i can not believe that Premiere "PRO" has not this option!!!!! Pleasssssse do it! it's rediculous, overlapping delete the tracks??? Why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea! (which Sony Vegas gave users ages ago) I agree that it should be something users can control 'on the fly'. The best way to do this is:

1. Settings preference: for users to decide if the auto-created transition should happen by default or not.
2. Modifier key (such as Ctrl or Shift): when pressed, overlapping two clips creates a transition OR overwrites the underlying clip, DEPENDING on the preference the user set in their settings.

This would be the BEST way to implement such a new tool, since it would give users a way to define the default behavior AND call up the alternative behavior at any moment, on the fly, through an easy to use modifier key!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of the main reasons I could not migrate to Premiere. IF they could implement this, it would make a world of difference. As well as creating fade ins/outs via dragging the clip corner, just like in Audition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Upvoted!

Other competitors does this like Vegas Pro which is native of this feature & you have an option to turn the automatic crossfades in preferences. Very handy.

Another NLE that does this is Davinci Resolve via modifier of ALT SHIFT Click drag/collide the 2 clips you want to have a transition.

So I want to hear it from Adobe itself if this is hopefully doable at any kind of implementation or ideas from two other NLE's. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate