• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bring Back Video Capture

Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This morning when I opened Premiere Pro 24 for the first time, I was dismayed at not being able to find the Capture option in the File menu. Upon contacting customer support, I was told that feature had been retired, and I was directed to the following page:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/premiere-pro/kb/retiring-tape-based-workflows.html#sa_src=web-messaging

Here's my problem. As a professional media archivist, I used the capture system frequently in the process of digitizing old video tapes (mostly VHS and U-Matic, sometimes DVCPro) for digital access and storage. The article above seems to think tape-based capture is only for transferring tape-to-tape, which is wrong. There are professional archivists and media professionals all over the country, or all over the world, whose job it is to preserve tape-based media via digitization. Adobe has now effectively abandoned an entire industry because it thinks people don't need this feature anymore. Adobe is wrong. As I write this, I have several dozen VHS tapes at my desk waiting to be digitized, and now I have to come up with another software solution because Adobe evidently does not care about customers like me who do this for a living. 

Dear Adobe, this was a poorly researched decision, potentially affecting a lot more of your customers than you realize. I am asking for the tape-to-digital capture feature to be restored to the software for video professionals like me who were using it faithfully.

Mod note: Title changed slightly.

Idea Declined Locked
TOPICS
Import and ingest , User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Apr 03, 2024 Apr 03, 2024

Before removing Capture functionality from 24.0 (in October 2023), we informed users of those removal plans the previous March on Adobe forums, at tradeshows, and all customer events. We definitely consulted with many users; while we did hear from a small-yet-vociferous community of users who wanted to preserve Capture, we determined to proceed.

We can't provided specific numbers, but I can confirm that capture usage has steadily declined for years, getting down into the 'not statistically signif

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 01, 2024 Feb 01, 2024

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Apr 03, 2024 Apr 03, 2024

Capture functionality will not return.

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
87 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Regardless of them saying they're modernizing it makes no difference to me what they're saying. I need that feature. I refuse to run 3 versions of Adobe programs to do one task. If nothing else they should make a standalone app like they had years ago thats name escapes me Location or something. Then make a dynamic link to premiere pro. Not have a v23 to capture then v24 edit. Do they not understand plugins get confused when they're licensed to 1 program not 2 versions of it. Also, they obsoleted two workstations with the latest V24 program. It's looking for a set of AVX2 instructions on my cpu which I have, unfortunately it doesn't work with my Xeon CPU on one computer. It's looking for a specific word in the code. When I pointed out I had the correct cpu. I got a Homer Simpson logic response. Like, sorry. It doesn't work. No. Fix it.

Had it all figured out in CS6 All downhill from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that and will do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run a video transfer business and use the capture feature daily. Can we have this back please?  You are likely to lose a lot of subscribers otherwise. Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not good enough.  I don't want to find an alternative.  The capture function should be restored.  There are Adobe customers who capture analog video professionally.  If Premiere Pro is going to be called a professional software, it needs to be able to capture video from anaolg sources.  Period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2023 Nov 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding my vote to this. What a bloody circus! Just wanting to transcribe some VHS tapes for a friend - knew that Premiere had a capture tool.... and then it's gone! The workflow then moved to using a Panasonic HDD/DVD recorder that  I bought in 2006. Recorded the VHS onto a DVD+RW via SCART and then ripped the DVD onto the PC. So glad I keep my old *hardware*. People can't remove useful functions from it on a whim.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry my friends and colleagues I was away. Have they conceded there are still a great deal of people in the business that do tons of things that use tape? Or are we in the ignore section?

Had it all figured out in CS6 All downhill from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems crazy to me.  Are there any other alternatives for capturing video on PC/Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this thread in the Trending column since last October. Commenting to keep it there, as the removing the Video Capture function from a professional editing program is an inexcusable misstep.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

****I have voted for this at the top to keep it trending.

BRING CAPTURE BACK

As an Archivist with 8 media systems running tapes daily via firewire (MiniDV/Hi8/U-matic/VHS), and only just updating, I am in shock. 

I genuinly dont understand why they would remove this without talking to users first (or did I miss that?)

now to find money for other software...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes fully agree Capture should be re-instated. I bought a FireWire card for my latest pc build and used on some of my DV and HDV tapes. All ok on PPro 22 then discovered PPro 24 had it removed. What market research and justification was done to allow this.

Using old releases to solve a fundamental requirement like this is crazy.

Please bring it back now!.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Capture window has been removed from the latest Premiere. 
We need it in our work anyway because we digitize old videos.
What can we do about it? is there somewhere to download the old version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Count me in. Was super confused and dissapointed Capture option dusappeared from 2024 version. Please bring it back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2024 Jan 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, I have hundreds of tapes that I only need to access if someone needs some historical info. I don't want to back them all up to disk if I dont have to. I have old tape decks and cameras that use firewire. I have had to add firewire cards to my new computers and keep an old Mac around if I need it. Please just add capture back even if you add it to Media Encoder. I installed an old version of Premiere but it also wanted me to install the older version of Media Encoder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I called and asked B & H if they knew of another option or device. They suggested an analog connection through a Canopus Capture device. They said they had recieved a lot of calls on this issue asking for alternatives and that was what they suggested. The AVDC-110 has digital and analog input/output but the issue is some software that will do the capture as well as Premiere did. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the issue we all have is that Adobe should not have taken capture capabilities away in the first place.

If Adobe position Premiere Pro in the market as an editing suite for professionals (and enthusiasts) then we are going to need to capture footage on tape from a few years back. Not all is transcribed yet.

The suggestion to use 'old versions' from Adobe support is quite frankly not acceptable. We are always told to use the latest software version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please bring back Capture!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bsam123@cjfenner@JonesVid@Shecky52@Marco331926951auv, @lauriej24226234@Bassquake, and other communtiy members on the thread:

Be sure that you have upvoted the feature request.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed.

I am among the numerous cultural heritage institutions who rely on Premiere Pro to migrate unique and irreplaceable content from aging and at-risk tape media like VHS, U-matic, and other analog formats. This feature was why I recommended purchasing the Adobe Creative Cloud licenses for all of our lab workstations.

Sure the workaround is to install the older version, but for how long will that realistically be viable? How long before the cloud decides it wants to auto-update, or even worse, simply stop supporting the older version without notice?

Hear this, Adobe: your software is not just for filmmakers working with digital technologies. Do not make the same mistake that Apple did with Final Cut. There is an entire industry of cultural heritage digitization professionals that are responsible for the migration of historical content from outdated and decaying media to modern, flexible, stable, and non-proprietary formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfectly well said. Hopefully Adobe will read these before they put more people out of business, as if things aren't hard enough out there for everyone. 

I, myself, like SO many other have tons of tapes to digitize. This was an EXTREMELY poor decision on the part of Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2024 Feb 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Adobe going to do something with video capturing on Macs with M chips? Or is it a lost cause? It's a huge disadvantage of Premiere right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh well, so Adobe did a justice in its own twisted way 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2024 Feb 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Adobe won't bring it back to Premiere, which is a huge mistake if they don't IMHO,  they should make a stand-alone module for capturing.  Most every real editing program has capture or a module for it.  Even video capture cards usually offer something to capture from tape!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Like most others on this page, I also make my income digitising old family video tapes. It was bad enough when Adobe cut out Encore, but fortunately I still have CS6 on my computer to burn discs, which I still get asked for quite frequently. 

Keep the Capture in Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate