• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fix the TRACK MATTE effect with a "Motion Settings Affect Matte" Checkbox!

Enthusiast ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Track Matte effect in Premiere Pro almost never works the way we editors need it to, and it's high time this essential effect gets fixed!

When creating a Track Matte, changing the Motion parameters of the clip the effect is applied to also changes the resulting matte. For example, if I zoom my clip to 120%, the clip zooms 120% but so does the matte. This makes it impossible to move a clip within a matte's 'window' without nesting.

The current way to get around this is to nest the clip, apply the Track Matte effect to the nest rather than the clip itself, and then edit the clip's Motion settings/keyframes within the nest. Unfortunately this is a HORRIBLE workflow, since it forces editors to edit their clip's motion settings and keyframes out of context of the master sequence. It also involves the extra steps of nesting.

After Effects handles masking the way it should work: making any changes to a clip doesn't affect the resulting matted effect. This is the way it should also work in Premiere Pro!!!!!!!!!!

A simple way to fix this problem, that would serve the needs of everyone, would be to simply add a "Motion Settings Affect Matte" checkbox to the Track Matte effect, and leave it unchecked by default. This way, the 0.0001% of users who want track mattes to work the way they currently work in Premiere could continue with the current workflow, just by clicking the checkbox, and the 99.9999% of users who want PP's matting to work the way it does in AE could finally have AE's far superior matting workflow inside Premiere!

The AE team gets it. Why can't the PP team understand how track matting should work???

Adobe, Track Matte is one of those effects that pro editors use all of the time! We would really, truly, greatly appreciate it if you could finally make time in your busy schedule to fix this essential tool before resuming attention to other features that are used by far fewer people.

Thank you!!!!!
Idea No status
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
28 Comments
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look down the comments thread Robert, you'll see a couple of other workarounds I came up with that might help. The comment starts with the text "WORKAROUND TIPS!"

Adobe reps might barely ever participate on uservoice and for the most part simply ignore our requests, but that doesn't stop us users from helping each other with our workarounds in the comments section! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried that first, but it didn't work for me. The mask stayed relative to the layer it was applied on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I pointed out that work around in my original post Robert, but it's a horrible option since any Motion adjustments made to the nested clip are made out of context of all other visual elements in the main timeline. The bottom line is that Adobe should make their software FUNCTIONAL.

Votes

Translate

Translate