• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flashback format .MKV

Guide ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen recording programs save the source in a higher - quality format .MKV than .MP4. There is currently no support for this codec format in Pr. Its absence requires additional time in a short time to encode into a supported Pr format, which affects the convenience and speed in deadline conditions.

Idea No status Locked

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
8 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What screen recording software are you using? I've used a few and they also save recordings as .mp4

Adobe Community Expert
Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OBS Studio. 

Now it is used by the majority, including me. I understand perfectly well that the program can record and in .MP4. But, I know that.MKV records better, as a different compression algorithm is used, which affects the final quality of the material. Therefore , I demand support .MKV in PrPro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MKV is just a container, ie sort of wrap-up around encoded video. Codec is what defines output video quality, not container. Thus you already can get better quality just by tuning your encoder settings. No need to wait for .mkv support for that..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Pr does not read the "wrapper". It issues an appropriate warning about an unsupported file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MKV is just a container, ie sort of wrap-up around encoded video. Codec is what defines output video quality, not container. Thus you already can get better quality just by tuning your encoder settings. No need to wait for .mkv support for that..

By @basil1891 

This is pure sophistry. Sorry, but it is.

We are not asking for anything new here, simply the re-inclusion of a file type that PPro CC2018 on Windows 7 has no difficulty reading the video portion of, although it does refuse to read the AC3 audio (despite the fact I have the SurCode Premiere plugin package, but why make things user friendly, hey?) so it's absolutely not a case of work needing to be done.

I also do not care that I can 'get better quality by tuining my encoder settings' either. That is utterly irrelevant and a classic 'Straw Man' response. All I want to do is have the ability to read files that I have archived, from when PPro still read this file type before someone at Adobe Towers decided to remove it. This reminds me of the same decisions taken when (again, at Adobe Towers) some Mook in an office decided that 'nobody makes DVD any more' and removed all that too.

Why is it in any way difficult or controversial to ask for something that should never have been removed in the first place to be put back again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@neil wilkesDon't do bad argumentation and factual errors in your posts and you don't get that "classic 'Straw Man' response", "sophistry", etc as a result.

EDIT:

So someone at Adobe Towers removed the functionality. Period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What factual errors?

Not in my post - PPro CC2018 reads MKV with no trouble. That is what I want, and I do not care about export to MKV.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am locking this idea, as it is a duplicate of an idea that will soon - by the end of January - be migrated to this forum from the old User Voice forum. Once the migration is complete, I encourage you to add your voice to the existing idea related to your suggestion. 

Thanks,

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate