• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

increment and save for Premiere

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

allow an increment and save feature in Premiere same as Ae. this way you can easily create incremental versions of your project in cast you want to go back and auto save is not enough. this will solve the workaround of "save as" and adding _number.
Idea No status
TOPICS
User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
15 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Premiere Pro creates increment projects when auto saving like After Effects. You have to go to Premiere Pro --> Preferences --> Auto Save, and modify "Maximum Project Versions".

You can even have a backup project in the Creative Cloud.

Let me know if this is what you are looking for.

Thanks,
Fran

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Fran thanks for reaching out. as I wrote in my request - auto save is not enough. After Effects has both auto-save and incremental saving (as do some other software) for more control over saving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roei,

Incremental Saving is basically an automated Save As function. I can see it is faster, but not sure if there is a great benefit out of it.

Just by pressing Shift+Cmd+S, it will open the save as dialog, and you will be able to save an increment by hand.

Premiere also has "Save a Copy", which will save the current status in a backup copy and will let you work in the current project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks again Fran. yes I am aware I can save as. this feature exists in Ae and it's a huge timesaver and lifesaver. and in Ae you can also "save as" but there's a command that does all that automatically so you wont have to do 3 things:
1. save as
2. change the name to _2.3.4.5 etc. (this can take a few seconds)
3. save
doing that 30 times a session that's minutes of my time. another example is C4D that also has incremental save. again, you could save as - it will just be longer. please consider this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roei is right about this. Increment and Save is a big time saver in AE.

Creative work is about flow, and being able to secure your work in a matter of seconds without diversion or distraction is a great workflow boon. No combination of autosave or Save As is as effective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think Adobe should argue this point but just go ahead and implement it an let people use it if they want to. Provide features that people ask for not what you tell them to use. Not only that, the aim should be for a similar user experience across applications, and if that means having to add a feature that one application has but another doesn't, then so be it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree this has been a great time saver, as well as eye saver. Pushing one button means I have a new version and I don't have to be blinded by a new finder window to do it. I don't have to type anything or even think about what the next version should be. I can continue working.

It's mostly frustrating that Adobe isn't trying to create any consistency between their apps, even at a base function level. But at least we have Character animator...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Processes to Increment and Save in AE:

1) Choose File
2) Choose Increment and Save

(of course this could be even quicker using shortcuts)

Stages for the same process in Premiere:

1) Choose File
2) Choose Save As
3) Click at end of existing file name
4) Delete previous version number
5) Type new version number
6) Click Save

This is something that needs doing multiple times during a typical editing session. Not only is this an ease of use issue, the longer completion path discourages editors from making timely organised saves while they are 'in the flow'.

Please implement this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be across ALL Adobe applications. Such a simple feature but very, very useful.

There is no real reason for it not to be implemented globally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we bring this idea forward again? Been waiting for this for many years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings Fellow editors,

I developed new extension: EXCALIBUR. It has "Increment and Save" command. It does what you need.
And you can assign shortcut to this command.

But it does much more than that, learn more here:
overview: https://youtu.be/ecZ-UA3zavw
manuscript: http://manuscript.knightsoftheeditingtable.com/extensions/excalibur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been sorely missing from Premiere Pro. I'd be grateful if it could be clever as well. If I choose to call my project "timeline 1.3" for example, hitting increment and save would understand the naming convention and create "timeline 1.4" and not "timeline 1.3_1"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fran... This is still not enough. Autosaves are not the same as manual incremental saves by a wide margin. If I am in the flow, a quick shortcut keeps me focused. If I find out that I need to refer back to an old version, it is a hassle to go back into the autosave archives created automatically. It is too much of a mess.
Plus autosaves are incremented at a certain time. With an incremental save, I can decide when I make a new version. This helps with many pipelines I have worked in. If I export an edit as V04, and later by v07, I need to reference something that was changed in V04, with manual incremental saves I know exactly where to go because my project and exports align. To find that in an Autosave archive takes so much more time, and its a lot of guesswork to figure it out. This feature should be in more than just After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently dropped a Free tool Version Raptor to address this exact issue with a bunch more features for version management in Premiere and AE.

Increment and save in one click with any naming convention, even initials after the version number.

https://hyperbrew.co/tools/version-raptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for mentioning the workaround, Froig! But the the auto-save feature doesn't give you control neither confidence that the project was saved at a certain time or point of the project. 

It also can be very distracting when an auto-save pops-up and stops your workflow. 

I like how AE has it at the momment. I switched off auto-save to not have interruptions and have a habbit of saving things frequently enough for me or when I'm expecting a pause in work. Or when I'm starting a new feedback round I load the file and do increment and save with one button. 

Please take a look at the feedback in the thread,

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate