• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Scrolling / panning in the Program Monitor

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moderator: This thread was originally titled "Premiere Pro 24.4 Program Monitor Scrolls". It's been updated to make this thread easier to find. We appreciate - and are listening to! - your feedback on scrolling / panning in the Program Monitor]

I just noted after the 24.4 update, My source & Program monitor up & down rollers/scrolls on the sides just vanished or missing. Not sure if this still part of the zoom in, zoom out or use of hand tool new updates which has cause this to be removed or a bug - but, kindly let me know if anyone has experienced this issue. The screengrab below.

Idea No status
TOPICS
User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 170 Replies 170
170 Comments
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2024 Jul 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was someone in another thread on here (bc yes... I'm spending more time trying to troubleshoot everything....) that said it perfectly!

@fredrik78847280 - "professional editing for me also means being less busy with the editing software itself and spending my time efficiently on creating projects" 

Holy moly you hit the nail on the head!! This is EXACTLY how I feel. I'm also with you on enjoying new features (love the addition of the visual audio fades on nose and tails of clips in this last update) but only when they make sense. Example being when Premiere decided to shift to the different import/edit/export panels and hide workspaces in a menu that made you have to click more in order to change formats. In my opinion, that was incredibly cumbersome for my workflow and I absolutely have not utilized those import/edit/export tabs on purpose - but thats because the developers let me keep my workflow for the most part. I just want to end this post by quoting fredrik again.... I hope the developers who actually have a say in feature implementation see these threads

"professional editing for me also means being less busy with the editing software itself and spending my time efficiently on creating projects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2024 Aug 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to bump this thread again. I've been able to kind of work around this issue with the monitor zooming in from the scroll wheel, but it is still incredibly time consuming and annoying in my opinion. I'd love to see an option to disable this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2024 Aug 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Feature: Continuous Pan and Zoom is absolutely not an upgrade. I'm spending so much time trying to zoom in on one spot of the frame and the pan and zoom function just won't cooperate. It used to take me a second or two to zoom in on a spot I wanted, now it takes at least a minute, and that's even if I can manage do get the function to work properly at all. 

This was a mis-step by Adobe I feel because it just slowed my productivity and gave me yet another reason to start looking at other programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that wonderful explaination. Alas, it does not soothe the savage hearts that adobe has infuriated with yet another functionality quirk that is astounding to the engineer who conceived of the idea. For the rest of us plebs, it is a hassle, a step backwards, and a productivity nightmare. It is akin to to catching water with a thin wrap in linen, futile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But sometimes the middle mouse acts as the hand tool, other times, the middle mouse button does not function as the hand tool in the panel. Why change things that are not broken?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 09, 2024 Aug 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @csscms, @Ann Bens,

@Mike McCarthy OK but why does Premiere have to be different from other Adobe apps for the same function? Premiere is part of a suite of apps, it's your strength!

Mike is an Adobe Expert, not an employee. He's a colleague in the forums here, an editor like you. Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2024 Aug 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the Hand tool (H) not work in this situation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the Handtool works but a modifier would be much easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to reset settings and preferences and reinstalling but it didnt work, so  I ended up installing the BETA version and it finally works! No side bars for paning but with the use of the hand tool (H) and V I was able to move around and refine my masking zoomed in. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 12, 2024 Aug 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a trackpad user, this change is a definite step backward. Now, to carefully refine a mask, for example, I have to zoom, change tools to the hand, navigate to one of the corners of the mask, change tools to the pointer, adjust that corner, change tools to the hand, navigate to another corner, change tools to the pointer, adjust it, change tools to the hand, ... etc.

This is a regression, and I'm surprised it survived beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It survived beta because actually a LOT of users don't do the stuff you do. Which is the frustrating thing for those of us that do that stuff.

Over the whole user base, my guess is that far more like the change than, like thee & me, dislike it.

Which I why I have pushed for an option to do this way, or not. Or at the least, an option to turn on scroll bars.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are three million options, feels like "program monitor scroll bars" is an easy one to have, especially when removing them is a regression.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for everyone's feedback, we understand your frustration and are working on a better behavior. We'll let you know when to expect an improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Palash Sanjay Kotgirwar 

Thank you. As part of this, can please make the hand tool a toggle like every other Adobe app while you're it?

Fixing glarringly obvious differences between the apps is win-win for everyone - right?

Cheers, Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, again, to Hand Tool toggle. While key is down, hand tool, release key - previous tool is selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2024 Aug 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a scrollbar option for the program monitor? This is really screwing with my workflow & productivity. I can't pan using the hand tool & mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You "can't" or you don't like it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Speaking for myself, I tried the hand / pan method and it does not work. I am therefore without a method to pan in the program window.

Additionally, I do not like this situation and it materially harms my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do it, at least i did. You just have to press H (to activate the hand tool), then move the program monitor around, then press V (or whatever tool you were using) to get back to the other tool. 

yes, its a pita. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not true, for many reasons it is very important to be able to go directly vertical or horizontal. For example I work with equirectangular footage. I need to check my horizons. It is not possible with the Hand tool to be precise. Yes the Hand tool allows you to scroll around imprecisely and breaks certain worflows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not precise method of scrolling around. I now have to add guide markers just to make sure I am looking at at the same horizontal or vertical pixels. Prior to the downgrade of the program Monitor I could see what I was looking for, easily scroll to review the rest of the scene, and work efficiently. This is not efficient and it's terrible user expereince for those of us who NEED it. If I dont have my mouse and am using the trackpad its even more painful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're still working on it, check it out over on the Premiere Beta forum. I'm sure some things will be added or changed around still. In the meantime, it's the "H" / Hand tool. and you can set a shortcut to FIT, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very true. Not as precise. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2024 Aug 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 24.5.0 on M1 Mac OS Sonoma 14.3.1 update:
Since updating, I've been using the hand tool instead of scroll bars to pan around the program monitor, but now the hand tool regularly stops working as well. I currently have no way to pan around a shot while it's zoomed in, or zoomed out, or fit to the window for that matter. The hand tool does absolutely nothing.

Exiting and restarting Premiere seems to fix the hand tool temporarily, until the hand tool stops working again and I have to restart Premiere again, and again, and again. This is a waste of my valuable time and money having to wait for larger projects to quit and reload every few hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 19, 2024 Aug 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been absolutely infuriating and it beggars belief that anyone in their right state of mind would think this is a sensical "update".

Hand tool does NOT work for me and I'm left being endlessly frustrated by this stripping down of useful features.

Restore the scrollbars now.

Votes

Translate

Translate