Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please Preserve Folder Structure on Import

Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can Adobe add a function or option to preserve folder structure on import? CMD+I to import and the folders are deleted, and my media is brought in as a mess of clips.

I saw a post saying this was used for newsrooms working quickly. An option to "Preserve Folder Structure on Import" would help immensely as I create a strict folder structure on my hard drives and shared server.

- Joe

[Moderator note for clarity of request: this is during import processes (especially) using the Project or Media Browser panels.]

Idea Under review

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

We're looking into how we can handle this better. Part of the challenge is importing files from memory cards - or copies of memory cards - that have a complex folder structure that would be very rare to want to duplicate in the project. But, regardless, we're considering how to improve this process. 

Status Under review

Votes

Translate

Translate
9 Comments
LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the correct part of the program ... simple if certainly not obvious.

From the New Project/Import "page" ... type a project Name, select a Location, make sure nothing is selected in the middle media import section or the right-side options section.

Click on Create Project. You now have your project open up for you.

NOW ... import as you always have, using the Project panel/Import or MediaBrowser panel.

As far as the devs are concerned, the only 'real' change is they removed options no one ever used with ones that actually are used by thousands of users a day, plus a bit of cosmetic changes. Whatever.

It would certainly be nice if after typing a Name, setting a Location, we could tab/enter to create a new project.

Without having to mouse all the way across the screen.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil,

That is the standard way I import files. I didn't add a clarification: this only happens when importing folders with 1 file in them. If there's more than 1 file, Premiere will preserve the folders, but if there's 1 file Premiere will import the clip without the container folder.

This is especially frustrating since my workflow -- and many other workflows in TV & advertising -- involves multiple editors working on one project, and having your project reflect your server folder structure is essential to avoid confusion.
Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 12.29.38 PM.png

- Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That clarification is rather ... major. In a couple ways.

As yes, you are correct, with either Project panel or MediaBrowser panel imports, Pr defaults with one-file folders to importing asset not folder. It didn't usd to do that. And it's an annoyance!

I think it came about by at some point "unifying" behavior with spanned files which are often created on the camera card with one bit of the file per folder ... the same clip actually being in many folders.

Personally, I would love to see it be able to import folder structures even if there are no items in the folder. Then we wouldn't have to make say dummy clips in template projects.

And I quite happily upvoted this!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, forgetting that part was a misstep.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, if you import a folder that only has 1 folder inside of it, the root folder is not imported, only the folder within the root is imported.

Example:
Folder structure on server
STEMS --> Hold Em --> [stem files for Hold Em track]

After importing into Premiere
Hold Em --> [stem files for Hold Em track]

To reiterate for Adobe: maintaining folder structure is imperitive for sharing projects between editors and assistant editors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're looking into how we can handle this better. Part of the challenge is importing files from memory cards - or copies of memory cards - that have a complex folder structure that would be very rare to want to duplicate in the project. But, regardless, we're considering how to improve this process. 

Status Under review

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fergus,

When you can get this sorted there are many of us that will be so incredibly thrilled!

Even just to having an option to import all folders as bins as-is would be useful. Especially if "sticky", that would probably fix this for the majority.

Or ... having the ability to set a Default choice, but with the behavior that if you deselect the option for "this" import, it's just a one-time change. Which would be even better.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fergus,

Thank you for the explanation. Disregarding superfluous memory card folders is a huge help.

+1 to Neil's point on having the option to turn that function on or off. Or adding a Default to "maintaining folder structure" or something like that.

Thank you for your response!

- Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Fergus,

I think this was addressed in the recent Premiere update (2024). My folder structure is now preserved on import. 

Are you able to add any context or update?

- Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate