• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC: can blue text interface be changed back to yellow?

Enthusiast ,
Oct 06, 2014 Oct 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wondering if there's an option in preferences to change the color of the interface text. It used to be yellow and now it's more difficult to see.

I notice the blue text across the entire range of updated programs: AE, PP, Photoshop, etc.

So is it a setting in the cloud itself that would allow me to change the color back to yellow?

If not, not big issue, I'll just have to get used to it. Love the new interface in any case. Much more responsive with no issues.

Thank you, Adobe!

Idea No status Locked

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 337 Replies 337
337 Comments
Contributor ,
May 15, 2015 May 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Soshamn/Grizzly ...can you not Save to Previous Version in Premiere?  Sorry, I'm really an AE guy who has been watching/commenting this thread (as well as the AE thread on this).  I use Edius almost exclusively for NLE (and have for many years now), but occasionally pop into PP just to see if there is anything to lure me back ... so far, nothing even close.

Annnnyway, with AE, there is the option to save back (ONE, yes one, and only one version).  So, in my case, I have all the way back to version CS5.5 installed ... so I can go all the way back to that if need be..  (Well, NOW I can't because my CC subscription ended).  It's a pain, but at least you can do it in AE.

-Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Tim!

Thanks for your answers!

OK ill give it a try. Do i have to uninstall PP 2014 version 8.0 i just reinstalled after i uninstall CS 6 ?

I already have encore 5.5 installed right now and wonder if 6 is much better and worth the effort

Cheers,

Soshman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. I've

TimmyCrackCorn wrote:

Soshamn/Grizzly ...can you not Save to Previous Version in Premiere?

Nope. I've been requesting that feature for YEARS. I think I remember reading that they kind of accidentally included that "feature" with the latest update (you could open 8.2 projects in v8.1), but it'll most likely be patched out in the 2015 updates. If you're so inclined, you can apparently modify your project files in a text editor to make them more-or-less backwards-compatible --- each project contains a header somewhere that specifies which version of Premiere it was created in; Premiere won't let you open projects that were created in newer versions of the program. In fairness, it makes some degree of sense... newer versions have features and data that completely change the way the program works, and there's a good chance an older app would freak out if it encountered, say, mask tracking data or something. The inability to save in a format compatible with previous versions (like in AE, Illustrator, etc.) is BS, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JSS,

I can't get mine through either.  Between these forums and that submission page, I think we have enough to say that whoever is running the web coding for Adobe needs to be fired.

Sorry about that. I'm working on this. Agree that it's unacceptable to be blocked to file any feature request.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cullipher,

I have tried at least 20 times, maybe 30, to add my feature request on this issue, but always says captcha is incorrect. I'm sure this is just me not being able to read the captcha

If it won't work for you sorry about that. I'm working on a fix for that.

Please accept this is my feature request.

Sorry, I can't make a customer feature request. We already do have a bug filed.

The blue text and handles in the effects controls are nearly impossible to see.

Thanks!

You should see some options which will relieve this issue in the upcoming version. Thanks.

simply change it back to what was acceptable.

Please give users a few color options

We're working on improving the UI legibility with options for users as we move into the future. Again, with the upcoming release, you can see our incremental steps.

simply change it back to what was acceptable.

Sorry, that won't be happening. Just know that I'm an advocate for you on this issue and am doing my best for you all.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey,

Just change the hot text back to gold, and the current issue is solved.

You can see the direction we're moving in with the upcoming release, so no, we're not going to "change back" to any previous UI. That's the decision that is made going forward.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File away on the bug/feature reports. I've spent enough time at NAB talking with the dudes on the teams that they I can say they do read those ... and um ... even remember some of them too ( ) ... and things that get a lot of mention do get moved up the mile-long list of things. I've got enough things I'd love to help move up.

Being able to take an exported project back one "ish" would be a great thing ESPECIALLY for those working in CC versions. Now that a lot of houses have adopted the practice Kevin-M & shooternz pushed of NOT updating PrPro during a major project, you have a situation of editors in the same house being on 2014.2, 2014.1, and even the earlier CC release. And having work-fits about being on different releases with the difficulty of sharing parts of projects. This would be an obvious and major benefit to the user base ... a very large usability fix. Hmmm. Good idea!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Claude,

Ergonomic seems to be a foreign word for some people around the planet!

I'm advocating for this issue. Hopefully, you'll like the direction we're going in the next release.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Soshman,

I have eye issues with blue light and have a hard time focusing on it ( eyes and mental focus ).

Really sorry this is happening to you. Since I discovered that users have been having visual issues with the UI, I have been advocating for a change.

I loved the yellow and it was great....why dont you ask your users?

Sorry about that. We're making adjustments to the UI so you can see it a lot better in the upcoming version. I hope it's OK for you.

Or at least give us a choice to make it whatever color we like.

Thanks for the idea. A lot of people are requesting this feature, as well.

Come on...give us what we had.

I want the yellow back!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, we probably won't be going backward as far as UI design goes. I hope that we can offer you more and better choices in a future version of Premiere Pro, though.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derjis,

Nope. I've been requesting that feature for YEARS.

You can always export a XML file to open in a previous version. Not perfect, but at least you won't need to start over from scratch.

I think I remember reading that they kind of accidentally included that "feature" with the latest update (you could open 8.2 projects in v8.1), but it'll most likely be patched out in the 2015 updates.

How it works: You can open minor releases in previous major releases: In other words, you can open an 8.2 project in 8.1. Since 8.1 was a major version, you can't open it in 8.0, which was also a major version. However, you can open an 8.0.1 project in 8.0. The main thing is to keep track of are the main versions, usually a dot zero, as the upcoming version will become. 8.1 was the anomaly here, where this major version was not a dot zero version.

Hope that clears that up.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin!

Thanks for advocating for us.

It is amazing that users having issues ( the few who know how to respond or care to ) don't have more pull that the fancy designers at Adobe

I always felt like Adobe was about usability and listening...thus my switch over to them.

These designers have no clue about the psychology of design. This may seem like a small issue now and just a bit of a bug but i can tell you over the long run i promise you it wall cost Adobe money.

Besides Video i also have done therapy and brain research for over 25 years. I also had a sunglasses business selling brown lenses to block certain frequencies of blue. So i did a lot of research on the blue spectrum and how it can effect the brain and eyes in a negative way. And Yes blue can be wonderful for certain types depression by some forms of natural blue light. But over all concentrating on blue for a long period of time can cause massive eye fatigue and loss of focus and concentration with lapses in memory...aka forgetting.

Notice the lighting in Las Vegas and how it is a white / Blue diffused lighting...It helps people forget time and get confused... so they stay at the slots and games and gamble longer ( just what a video editor wants right..confusion and forgetting time???). There is also the conditioning over the life of the web that blue text is a LINK...more brain confusion!

So while the designers can see this as beautiful for short periods of time...they are not considering the long term users with the psychology of Blue light and text!

And when you have a contrast of something more subtle like the last PP colors and are then thrown into the chaos on the brain... of blue....it will become more apparent over time that the fix of giving us "Choice" will be much cheaper in the long run than trying to push folks into the blue their brains naturally don't like....at least for intense concentration activities like video editing.

I have been working for the last hour in the older version with the amber and white text...and a natural big smile came over my face as i felt the relief.

Some folks will never make the conscious distinction of how the blue effects them ...but trust me the unconscious mind will buck like a wild horse over time. And the negative feelings they experience in their eyes and brain will be associated with...guess what company?

And time will tell 🙂    I am ok with being wrong but i'll bet it eventually effects the bottom line... and maybe someone might see this post and wise up.

Thanks for listening Kevin!

Soshman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree Kevin .we should not go back....we should go forward with a new version of the Amber that folks like...LOL!

Soshman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Soshman,

It is amazing that users having issues ( the few who know how to respond or care to ) don't have more pull that the fancy designers at Adobe

I always felt like Adobe was about usability and listening...thus my switch over to them.

We came up short with the UI redesign when it came to visual acuity issues, in my opinion. However, fixes and improvements based on user feedback are being made right now, so you can see we are trying our best to get it right for all users, including older guys like myself. My eyes are really not that great these days!

Notice the lighting in Las Vegas and how it is a white / Blue diffused lighting...It helps people forget time and get confused...

In looking at the new UI changes for the upcoming release, our designers have added controls for the items that cause the most problems for visual acuity. I hope it helps.

And when you have a contrast of something more subtle like the last PP colors and are then thrown into the chaos on the brain... of blue....it will become more apparent over time that the fix of giving us "Choice" will be much cheaper in the long run than trying to push folks into the blue their brains naturally don't like....at least for intense concentration activities like video editing.

The changes coming up for the next release will likely continue to be refined along the lines of more choices related to better vision of the UI.

Thanks for listening Kevin!

My pleasure.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Soshman,

agree Kevin .we should not go back....we should go forward with a new version of the Amber that folks like...LOL!

Soshman

To have it as one of the choices you'll have in the future is something I could surely live with. We'll have to live with blue for a little while at least, however, we'll have more controls over the intensity of that color.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft resolved that problem several versions ago, and the old versions can open even the latest versions of files. Imagine that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does get rather more difficult to open a project involving complex graphics effects that weren't in existence in the older version. Just in acknowledging there would be limits ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin, you are an advocate? Yet in the same sentence you state that it "won't be happening". So, just what are you 'advocating' for then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil,

I once, long, long, ago, ran a division for a Fortune 100 company doing IT outsourcing for other Fortune 100 companies. We'd laugh at the mere thought of subscription-based, continual roll-out SW. It's a nightmare to manage in any kind of organization where file sharing is important (pretty much anybody), and these companies wouldn't consider putting corporate secrets up on Adobe's 'cloud'. One major customer spent nearly $100 million to STANDARDIZE and lock down their 40,000 user environment. This 'Agile' method of SW engineering is good for engineers and scientists who might be building models, and need fast turnaround, etc., but for a commercial SW product that must be stable, reliable, and predictable, it is a marketing ploy gone wild. Somebody at Adobe apparently bought it without really understanding the downstream effects on their users, like unlimited bugs and a whole new learning curve release to release... every 3 months. What you get is a SW product that moves closer and closer to chaos (i.e., second law of thermodynamics).

It's a nightmare that's just begun for us.

Griz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, but in the case of Pr, the project files are just XML with pointers to all the assets, timeline details, where things go, where they are, and any effects that are applied. Making these backward compatible should be a no-brainer, and a freshman programmer could do it. Adobe just doesn't want to. They'd rather force you to keep paying rent. I've noticed a trend in the SW market in general to force users to upgrade with each new release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep pushing for the backward ability ... that would be useful as noted even or especially within CC users. And I'm listening to your other thoughts also.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft resolved that problem several versions ago, and the old versions can open even the latest versions of files. Imagine that!

Hmmm.....I have older versions of MS Office that can not open .docx or xlsx files.  I had to find a 3rd party converter at the time.

In saying that..I also agree.  MS have made some incredible OS's that ensured a stability/consistency  of useage of products such as adobe ones.  Unlike Apple O.S/s over the

same period.

Yet ...advances/changes  in video technology are far and away more significant than words and maths processing where few changes can be expected.

The video apps are not even near catching up to that stage of advanced development.  ie anyone still developing Word Processing, Spreadsheets???

Not sure that it is so simple to offer the video tech advances with a backward compatabilty function as well.   I would also wonder who wants or needs to go backwards in a world that is moving forward?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shootenz, if you go WAY back in MS office, MS bundles a converter, but the from 2007 on, you should be good to go (2 major versions back).

If you really think about what Pr is/does, it is basically just an 'assembler'. Video codecs are out there, Adobe doesn't create these for Pr, they just use the ones that already exist, so video technology / processing comes along for the ride, and new codecs don't come along every day. What a Pr project is is an accounting of all the assets you have imported and where they are on your file system. When you put them on a timeline, it keeps track of where these appear on the timeline using timecodes, like a card catalog (if you're old enough to know what that is). If you adjust volume or pan or keyframe any effect, it just keeps track of those using timecodes as well (i.e., at this timecode, turn volume on clip X to 50% and pan to right 30%, etc.). The project has no underlying 'technology' attached to it (or at least it shouldn't), it just keeps track of everything related to your project. Making this backward compatible should be fairly straightforward. Like Microsoft's office, if you open a new project in an old version, the new features in the project file can just be ignored, like extra tags in an XML file. Of course, that requires that you build in that 'ignore' capability into each version, so that 3 versions from now, it will work. It requires forethought and planning, something Adobe has apparently mothballed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

shootenz, if you go WAY back in MS office, MS bundles a converter...

I'd like to keep this thread open for when the new feature arrives. Is that OK?

In order to do that, we're going to have to keep off topic info away from this thread. If you want to talk about off topic stuff, take it to the Video Lounge or elsewhere. Otherwise, I'll just lock the thread.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm... I remember being told (more than once) that this is a 'user-to-user' forum... I guess not.

"I'll just lock the thread?" Seriously?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't like to, but please stay on topic at the very least.

Please check out our community guidelines for best practices: Adobe Community Guidelines

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate