• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reorder / Rearrange Video and Audio Tracks

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be amazing to simply grab a track and move it up or down in the order of the sequence. This was something I could do easily back when I used Vegas Pro. Occasionally, I have big, complex sequences and would like to reorder the tracks for organization purposes or for shipping off to audio master. Thanks!
Idea No status
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 141 Replies 141
141 Comments
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this not a thing yet??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 From me surprised there is so many comments on this thread from so recently

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each voter and commenter gets an email notification for every comment which probably explains the increase in comments.

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often create pieces that grow in ways I cannot fully predict at the outset, so will be very glad when this feature makes its way into PP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a suggestion for all in this thread. Let's use social media to get the Adobe folks to fix this problem. I'm pretty sure Adobe has people who monitor their social media accounts. It's been several years since this thread started and so many of us have been requesting it... all to no avail. Using social media just may light a fire under their feet to have them take care of this.
So, for those who use twitter, start tweeting.(@Adobe). Post on their Facebook page.

Just Copy and paste this page to their social media accounts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the Adobe Premier Pro FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1053332041438150

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted on Adobe premiere pro FB page. Everyone who sees this should do the same. If we all do FB posts and Twitter Tweets... maybe... just MAYBE... they'll get it done. Remember... the squeaky wheel gets the grease... So, everyone, start squeaking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've exchanged a couple of FB messenges with the Adobe PremPro. I've asked for the social media people to get this request in front of the PremPro product team. The latest response indicated that they'll be our advocate to get this feature fixed. Meanwhile, they said it's the number of VOTES on this request that also determines their priorities.
So... everyone who knows anyone on PremPr, have them come to this request and VOTE. And, have them ask them to get some of their colleagues to VOTE on this.
Let's bombard them with VOTES to get their attention.
Remember... squeaky wheel.
Don't forget to Tweet as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not too sure I believe that statement about the amount of votes, considering nearly everything on this forum gets ignored, even the ones with the highest votes. Sure several of them say they're "under review", but when you hover over the words it says "Updated over 3 years ago" or more for nearly every one.
This one specifically is on the very first page, which should be good enough to get attention anyway. No amount of votes is going to result in Adobe caring, as evident based on the third top voted suggestion being full of people with good points who got belittled by Adobe employees and then ghosted for over 5 months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Serena, go on their FB page and request this. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1053332041438150
Also, use the FB messenger found on the page and request it.
If you Tweet, tweet it (@Adobe).
Get your PremPr friends to do the same.
Bombard them with this request. If everyone does this, then it will get their attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, I think that feature isn't even that critical as you can do it already. Not by drag and drop, sure and yes, that would be nice to have but it's not critical in my opinion.
The way to do it:
1) open the sequence you want to reorder the tracks in the source monitor
2) patch the sources/tracks in the timeline the way you want
3) insert with playhead at the beginning of your timeline and without in/out markers

The result is the same as drag and dropping tracks directly.
It's not too complicated or tedious and I wouldn't even call that way a workaround. Also I never had to rearrange tracks so often that I need the drag and drop feature this badly. There are other features missing entirely that I'd wish to have on a daily basis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or another alternative way to do this:

Add an empty track where you're moving to
Press A to get the track select tool up.
Shift click at the start of the track you want to shift (highlights everything on that track)
Press V to get arrow tool
Shift click highlighted clips (prevents them tracking forward or backward)
...and drag drop to the empty track

You could even do a macro to do the first part of this (I have a streamdeck which would make this a one press operation)

100% agree still not as intuitive or easy as drag / drop and IMO I still think we need this feature for real.

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some users have suggested this feature is unneeded since you can easily move or copy/paste or insert/patch existing clips onto different tracks to rearrange their order.  These methods may work well for folks who haven't yet added custom track names or gobs of track mixer fx and buss routing, but if you've ever been down the rabbit hole of a complex (and well organized) audio mix within Premiere you'll understand the dire need for a drag-and-drop track arrange feature.  🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻  The ability to reorder tracks without losing track names and track mixer settings would be a godsend!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Robert Beyer - it sounds like you're talking about changing the order of clips horizontally.  We're talking about re-ordering audio TRACKS vertically.  When you do move all the clips on one track that you've renamed "Background Music", the name of "Background Music" stays on the original track, and all of the moved clips (which are background music) are moved to the new track, but retains the same name as what the destination track had before the move.  What I'm looking for - and I think is the subject of this thread - is a way to move a full audio (or video!) track with it's attached track name.  Other wise we're wasting time renaming tracks after getting the clips in the vertical order we want them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@OldDesertLizardYeah, I was talking about patching the tracks content to another track. But as you and others said, this wouldn't change track names and as @Danaproducer mentioned the mixer settings and volume or panning automations (I didn't even think about those until your comment). Especially the second makes me reconsider my statement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since the OP brought up how this is possible to do in Vegas, which honestly was my favorite video editing software and used it primarily during the aughts, I also wanted to mention how I miss the ability to not only drag and drop tracks to change their order, but also the timeline wasn't divided into a video section and audio sectio. You could have them stacked any way you want. You could have a video track, then an audio track and then another video track, etc. If you make the video and audio tracks distinct enough, it really helps in many cases, to have some audio tracks directly under corresponding video tracks.

Votes

Translate

Translate