• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Arabic SRT captioning file not working in Adobe Premiere 2021

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was working in Premiere 2020 on a show with an SRT Captioning file in Arabic.  Everything was great until I upgraded to Premiere 2021.  The file will go into Premiere.  In the captioning editor it shows arabic.  However, what is out put is a pattern of squares on the screen instaed of the Arabic captions.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Export , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

See this answer from staff (Trent Happel via Kevin Monahan):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/srt-import-with-right-to-left-language-e-g-hebrew-arabic-text-is-reversed/m-p/11909031#M335759

"Do you have South Asian and Middle Eastern set in your Caption Track Settings? Right-click on the Caption track header, choose Track Settings... and then under Styling Options > Text Engine, click button for South Asian and Middle Eastern. Then click Ok button."

Interestingly, I don't think you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this answer from staff (Trent Happel via Kevin Monahan):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/srt-import-with-right-to-left-language-e-g-hebrew-arabic...

"Do you have South Asian and Middle Eastern set in your Caption Track Settings? Right-click on the Caption track header, choose Track Settings... and then under Styling Options > Text Engine, click button for South Asian and Middle Eastern. Then click Ok button."

Interestingly, I don't think you need to set the regular preferences to South Asian and Middle Eastern as long as you set the caption track. But when I set the regular preferences to that and created a new track, it set the caption track to the same.

Also, once, I got the boxes with X's, and then realized I did not have an Arabic font - even though another time, a non-Arabic font worked.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan, thanks for the suggestion, but this did not work.  I still have Squares on my screen for output.  

Again, it was working in Premiere 2020, now it is not in Premiere 2021.  

Any suggestion is welcome.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have experimented a bit more. I think the secret is at the end of my last response: "Also, once, I got the boxes with X's, and then realized I did not have an Arabic font - even though another time, a non-Arabic font worked."

A font like Arial has a LOT of characters in its character map. So it will rarely not have the character you want. Other fonts have relatively few characters, and, to our point here, they are missing Arabic characters. So when one is entered, they show their default "missing" character symbol - a box, a box with an X, etc. I see no control for us to select the font for the Text Panel, and the programmers appear to have picked a robust font that appears correctly, even if we have  selected a more limited font in the Essential Graphics Panel - what we see in the Program Monitor and what actually exports when burned in.

What font do you have selected in the EGP? As a test, select one caption and change the font to Arial, or Adobe Arabic.

What do you see?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines