Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto Detect Cuts

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2015 Mar 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I don't know if anyone can suggest a workflow or solution; but I'm trying to find the best way to automatically detect scene cuts from one original piece of media.

Essentially I have one video 'mix' down layer with various shots and cuts in and embedded audio.  Is there a painless way to analyse this clip and auto detect where the cuts are to save doing it all by hand/eye - if I want to add cuts to seperate all the various shots again.

I do not have access to original EDLs or cut information, simply this one video clip.

Any help or advice is much apreciated!

Simon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016
I tried Magnum edit but I can't figure out a proper workflow.

1. bring the clip to Ae. (import->file)

2. run magnum with default "split into new layers"

3. copy composition from the project panel (Ctrl+C) to premiere's project panel (Ctrl+V) and it will convert it to premiere sequence with the edited cuts.

if you are already in premiere and want to take a round trip:

1. delete the audio track

2. copy the sequence from the project panel (Ctrl+C)

3. paste in the project panel of Ae. now you will have a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌i have never had a need for it to see what it does, or even at the machine to confirm it, but I believe SpeedGrade has an Auto Scene Detect. I wonder if that could be incorporated somehow to give you what you want in regards to adding cuts at those spots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think even with an automatic solution, you'd still need to go through and check each cut anyway.  Rather than waiting on an answer, the work would probably get done faster if you just go ahead and do it manually.  It's probably the only way to know for sure you've got all the scene cuts in the right place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Si

Interesting that you raise this point because I have had some problems based around what you are describing.

You can create a Speedgrade project and import a flattened video file (say Prores) to then automate the cut up. Under the Colour tab / Setup / Timeline options you should see 'Scene Change Detect' on the right hand side, it takes a while to analyse the content but places edits when it finds a clip change - perfect. The issue I have is that you can't send the timeline into Premiere (because the project wasn't originated from Premiere in the first place) So why not start off in Premiere I hear you ask? Because if you directlink from Premiere -> Speedgrade the Scene Change Detect function is not available, that's really frustrating!

I'm trying to cut up a flattened video file in Premiere with an EDL but so far no luck... lots of question marks on the file icons. If I could get that to work I could then directlink to Speedgrade and properly finish my show. The online and grade relationship needs to be improved between the two applications.

Any tips would be welcome?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌i was afraid of that.

My quickest response is to write down the Timecode from SpeedGrade and manually add into Premiere.

My other thoughts need to be worked at while on a machine, but probably the best way is manual Premiere without writing down data from SpeedGrade. I thought of in Premiere to expand the video track so you see the thumbnails and do by timeline sight. And I also thought of viewing thumbnails through Bridge, but that might only apply to my DNG sequences that I am familiar viewing through Bridge with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 31, 2015 Mar 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌resolve has the best free scene detector.

I use it to get notched files to avid via aaf but I'm sure I managed to do the same to Pr in the past

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌a quick search revealed (notch V1 with cuts on V2)that an aaf from resolve imported to Pr was not enough and I had to use a workaround to get the cuts onto the clip in a timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

would saving as an EDL in Speedgrade work?

I can't get Speedgrade to save as an edl though after running Scene Change Detect. In Speedgrade Setup, right under Save IRCP, my Save EDL is greyed out. But if one could save the edl of the clip cut up by Scene Change Detect it should help.

Can't even copy and paste timecode in Speedgrade like I can in Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2016 Sep 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a news editor who works with news agencies material, I would hugely benefit from such a feature. Maybe the OP should post a feature request ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fred: The OP posted this In March 2015. Why don't you request it now?

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

magnum edit detector in AE dynamic link into premiere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2016 Sep 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I just did the feature request.

I tried Magnum edit but I can't figure out a proper workflow. I send the clip to AE from PP, let Magnum work, it then splits the clip into several layers, I come back to PP, but the splits don't appear.

Edit : I don't know if there is a better way, but I just selected the "trimmed pre-comp" option in Magnum and then exported from AE as a PP project, then imported the resulting project in PP and there I do get separated nested clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried Magnum edit but I can't figure out a proper workflow.

1. bring the clip to Ae. (import->file)

2. run magnum with default "split into new layers"

3. copy composition from the project panel (Ctrl+C) to premiere's project panel (Ctrl+V) and it will convert it to premiere sequence with the edited cuts.

if you are already in premiere and want to take a round trip:

1. delete the audio track

2. copy the sequence from the project panel (Ctrl+C)

3. paste in the project panel of Ae. now you will have a composition, open it.

4. turn on audio for the layer

5. run magnum with default "split into new layers"

6. copy the composition from the project panel (Ctrl+C)

7. paste it in premiere project panel (Ctrl+V)

now you have the sequence cut to clips. you can delete the old sequence.

guess this is what we have until the good folks at the Premiere team will add the scene detection feature that worked in speedgrade but is virtually quite useless because you can't use it.

if you are reading this please submit a feature request so we will be heard: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, very nice, an enjoyable improvement over the workflow I had described. If we could have audio and video linked, in my opinion it would then be perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I wish importing a sequence with audio from premiere would not mean you get a separate layer for the each audio clip making this messy. the only workaround I know is to delete the audio layer in Premiere before you copy/import (you can undo right after).

If you just copy pasted or imported a sequence, you can of course just delete all of the audio layers in Ae by shift selecting from the first to the last it only takes a few seconds. an don't forget to toggle the audio switch for the video obviously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the only workaround I know is to delete the audio layer in Premiere before you copy/import (you can undo right after).

If you just copy pasted or imported a sequence, you can of course just delete all of the audio layers in Ae by shift selecting from the first to the last it only takes a few seconds. an don't forget to toggle the audio switch for the video obviously.

Sorry, I don't get how you would get linked audio and video in your cut clips in Premiere after the trip to AE doing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I don't get how you would get linked audio and video in your cut clips in Premiere after the trip to AE doing that.

in Ae toggle the audio switch for the video (I wrote "don't forget to...") so it will be ON

2. detect cuts through magnum

3. now when you copy paste the Composition to Premiere project panel or drag and drop or import - you will get cuts and both video and audio tracks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed I do have both tracks, but audio and video in Premiere are not linked, as they were before the trip to AE : for example, if you click on the video, the audio doesn't get selected, and vice versae.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. I missed the "linked" part. it appears it does not import as linked anyway you try to import video+audio Ae->Pr. guess it's manual linking each cut... this should be an already built in feature to bring them as linked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried that out and it works well enough to be worth £32!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just something I realized now but you don't have to delete the audio if it is linked in Premiere  ... Ae will get a video layer with the audio turned on. if the audio is not linked then you would get separate audio layer... and unfortunately as vilrockerdefer mentioned - it does not work the other way around meaning Ae video layer with audio will always come to premiere as unlinked video + audio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

magnum edit detector in AE dynamic link into premiere

can't see how dynamic link would do you any good because you want the cuts and not the Ae composition...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An alternative is using Scene Cut Detection in the free version of Resolve and export the resulting a FCP7 XML to Premiere Pro.

It is either Magnum or Resolve until our friends at the Premiere team add the scene detection feature for Sg into Pr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the Magnum workflow, but it was error prone and took hours to perform analysis. I did try constraining the analysis to 'region of interest' Which speeded things up for simple slide shows etc but still had problems when light changes and picture is soft. Need a direct plugin for Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

www.adobe.com/go/wish - for feature requests

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines