• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change footage link from one Production to another Production

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks, thanks in advance for your help.

We have been working across two studios for 8 months thanks to lockdowns and state closures, a joy I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with. Now, we are all finally all back in a single studio completing the offline on a feature length documentary.

Using the Productions workflow to manage multiple projects with multiple editors has been fantastic, however we're hitting a snag I can't think of a work around for.

We have two Productions, one maintained in each studio location, one two different servers. Now we want to work from the master Production that has the most up to date rushes and selects. Using the project import function, we have imported and reconsiled all the projects into the one single Production.

We have within our Production monthly projects for rushes and selects, and then we cut scenes (as individual projects to keep things small and manageable) from these rushes and selects projects.

Here's my problem - any timelines from the old Production keep relinking back to the old Production's rushes and selects project, which makes sense as there isn't a way to change this detail, so why would it. But how do I change that link? Short of the old method of opening the Prem Project as an XML (which is now far more difficult thanks to gzip encoding), I can't think of a way around. Conform shouldn't be affected as the RAWs directories are the exact same between both, it's more so a housekeeping problem and, also, I'm curious as to the solution. Also, it's a pain when hunting back through selects that a whole new project needs to open when its twin is already open in front of me. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm really happy with the Production worlflow so far, although some additional training from Adobe would be appreciated to standardise a pipeline. Working out this kink would only continue to prove the viablility of this tool in the long-form bluechip market.

TOPICS
Editing , How to , Import , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

@bobbih First of all glad to hear Productions has worked well for you! The good news is that there is a built-in function to do exactly what you're asking for. I'll start with that, and then end with how to avoid needing to do this in the future.

The command you're looking for is called "Reassociate Master Clips..." and it's in the Edit menu. If you imagine a production with a Proj A with master clips and a Proj B with a timeline with those clips in it, the Reassociate command would break the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Hi Matt, thanks for the quick response!

Firstly, thank you for the workflow doc, exactly what I needed.

Secondly, I'll be running our timeline through the master clip reset right now. Great tip for archiving projects too.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bobbih First of all glad to hear Productions has worked well for you! The good news is that there is a built-in function to do exactly what you're asking for. I'll start with that, and then end with how to avoid needing to do this in the future.

The command you're looking for is called "Reassociate Master Clips..." and it's in the Edit menu. If you imagine a production with a Proj A with master clips and a Proj B with a timeline with those clips in it, the Reassociate command would break the link between the clips in the timeline in Proj B and the clips in Proj A. Instead it would "reassociate" them with those clips in a different project. The Reassociate command gives you a file browser to select a .prproj. Premiere will open the project you select, and if it can find matching master clips, it will reassociate your timeline clips to point to that new source project. So you can select all the clips in your timeline, and run "Reassociate Master Clips" and point to a project containing the clips. Any that don't match (aka not found in the new project) will be left alone. So if you have, say, 10 source projects, you can select all the clips in your timeline and just run the command against each project, and they should all match up.

Tip: make a backup of your production folder before starting this, just in case (easiest way is just ZIP up the production folder and put a time/date stampe in the filename).

How can you avoid this in the future? Have Editor A import new footage into a project, organize it, then send that project to Editor B. Don't have Editor B also create their own project. That way both Editor A and B are cutting from the same exact source projects, and then later when you merge the production you won't have to do this Reassociate step.

Also in case you weren't aware, there's a full-length PDF documentation of Productions and various workflows here: http://bit.ly/PremiereProductions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt, thanks for the quick response!

Firstly, thank you for the workflow doc, exactly what I needed.

Secondly, I'll be running our timeline through the master clip reset right now. Great tip for archiving projects too.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bobbih, did the "reassociate source clips" work for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sure did. On another project we had a similar issue where we rebuilt our rushes projects for speed and ease of use, reassociatong the clips worked but it took a while to do. We would select everything in an edit project, and then go through all the shoot block projects one by one and reassociate, eventually all of the rushes were pointing to their new shoot block project.

Time is money, we probably lost a week in offline doing this, and it wasn't seamless. Best to set up a workflow from the get go, but we don't always get that luxury hey!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I still haven't been able to make it work, no idea why. I select all the clips in a timeline (command+A), select Edit > Reassociate Source Clips..., choose my original Footage project, it opens, but then nothing changes. These are two projects that originated in the Production and one that's newer than the other.

I'm working in a Production in Premiere 2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines