• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I insert "TIME" (i.e: a blank gap) on my timeline?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't get to find this, and yes, I presume it is pretty simple. I've been editing a lot on Premiere Pro, but this really annoys me:

-> how do I insert a gap/blank space on my timeline?
Per example: on audio apps, as Ableton Live, Logic Pro, etc, you just set the space you want between your L and R locators, then tell the app to do that using the menu (insert space between locators, etc).

Any hints?
Tks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016

You can't insert "nothing".  You'll have to manually move the clips over to the right where you want the gap to appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't insert "nothing".  You'll have to manually move the clips over to the right where you want the gap to appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can insert black.  It's the same as nothing in terms of the end user experience

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That depends on how the video is being used. For example, if you're looking to use that blank space as transparency for, say, a video overlay that will be exported to someplace else, you can't insert black as that will remove the transparency on areas with no other content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way I think is to hit the A key and select all from where you want the gap to be, Then use command - right arrow to move the material down the timeline. You can hold the shift key down as well to move things in larger jumps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent...thank you DigitalSpatula.  Works great, except how do you turn off the double arrows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Press 'V'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm trying to follow your instructions, but I'm using Premiere Elements.  I want to insert a new shot into a timeline which already has many different tracks of video and sound layered, without disturbing all the edits I have created.  Do you know if this is possible in Elements?  I have searched through numerous tutorials and can't find any reference to this.

Thanks, Kate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elements works different from Pro.

Post your question in the Elments forum.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-elements/bd-p/premiere-elements?page=1&sort=latest_replies&f...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ann. I will do.

Kate 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for this information - that has helped heaps! Thank you again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines