• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I manage Premiere Pro Plug-ins?

Participant ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem every time I get a new major update to PP. Some plug-in from either SmartSound or Plerleyes is not up to date and I get an transitory error message dialog box on every WAV file I import. Here's a screen shot of the dialog box: 2017-06-11_1620 which reads:

"Premiere Pro version 11.1 is not compatible with the Premiere Pro Plug-in version 5.8.5".

If PP knows the plugin is incompatible they why does it install it during the update? Why can't this dialog give me a hint about which plug-in it's complaining about? Is there an error log somewhere?

Now I have to go on a hunt for how to manage the plugins for PP, which is not documented anywhere very clearly that I can find. (This isn't a VST plugin so the existing VST plugin manager in PP isn't useful.

Can anyone shed some light on how to track down these plug-ins? Oh and Adobe, please improve your update installations. They break other things too. On this last one I couldn't get Windows 7 to let PS open graphics files. I had to open PS and then have it open the files. Took awhile but I fixed it. It would just be nicer if the installation took care of that.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Feature request filed!

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although you use those plugins within PrPro, they're not really Adobe's responsibility ... they make the API's available for the plugin makers, but it's up to the makers to keep their plugins up to date with PrPro. So, as a user, anytime you update PrPro you need to get the latest updates from the folks you get plugins from.

I've got some Red Giant stuff ... same thing. It's my job to see that my Red Giant works in PrPro (or Resolve) when I update either app.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ R Neil Haugen, I get your point.

My point is that Adobe should want to make their customers have a smooth experience. The first time that dialog box pops up they could have a check box to disable or even delete the offending plugin when I click the OK button to dismiss it. I'm not a pro and don't really do that much editing any more so every time this happens it take me a half a day to track down the info about how to find and uninstall the offending plugin and/or seek out the newest replacement plugin.

So I'm hoping somebody at Adobe will read this and say, "Hey, this is a two hour job to fix and only a 30 day job to test and verify. Why don't we just go ahead and do it?" But I'm not holding my breath. It's been 4 years or so since I requested an enhancement to fix PP's inability to treat spanned files as a single clip for MOV format. At Adobe's request I've even supplied them with sample files. But no joy in Mudville.

Okay, now I'm whining so that's all for this session. I've figured it out on my own before, I can do it again.

Thanks for your consideration. Peace, Love, Laughter: Rob:-]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand ... they don't always seem to follow my obviously correct suggestions either ... what's up with that?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2019 Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, you truly are one of my favorite forum personalities. Wasn't sure I'd like ya at first but you grew on me. That having been said (and given this is a two-year-old thread), I'll just say that you are mighty generous to let Adobe off like that. You're 'obviously correct suggestions' were probably absolutely spot-on but I feel like you may have been a bit too generous — almost in a bow-before-the-throne sort of way. Might be hard to believe but I honestly don't gripe much. Hell, I'll eat the burnt, cold pizza before I call to complain. But that's in my rise-and-shine life. Adobe holds the patent on the tools of my trade. And that's a lot of trade because I'm a filmmaker, drummer, composer and designer. I use Adobe exclusively for three of the four trades. That's point number one. Here's number two:

Back in the day, I used only pirated Adobe products before CC. Now, I can afford the monthly hit now so I went legit. But I also pay monthly for Pro Tools, East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Libraries and Native Instruments Libraries. So, Adobe better be worth the effort. Even though it's not Adobe who forges the plug-ins, it absolutely is Adobe's responsibility to make life easy for their bread-and-butter customers (particularly the ones who hadn't been paying them before). Have you taken the pulse of the Millennial and younger generations? They don't even think they should have to pay for things they cannot hold in their hands. With that in mind, now Adobe has to justify their prices not just once but every month to a generation that can't seem to remember what they had for breakfast let lone why they are paying for subscriptions "again this month". To you and I...duh. But 'duh' clearly hasn't made it into the Urban Dictionary yet. If Adobe think piracy was an issue back then they are going to need smelling salts in a year or so. Just ask Mark Zuckerberg. Which leads me to my final point.

Adobe isn't just a cute, little boutique developer. They run the world's creative assets. At this stage, the government steps in to babysit. If they'll drag The Zuck onto the Senate floor because he is the top dog of social media, Adobe ain't immune. After all, I'm still sore that they gobbled up the whole of the Macromedia franchise. And Quark X...what?? There's your anti-trust right there.

Look, I love Adobe products. Their engineers and developers deserve to get paid. But they need to take care of their customers and stop throwing things around under the hood with every update. Yes, I'm excited about vanilla Warcraft, too, but World of Warcraft raiding should get done at home after work.

Feed the plug-in goblins first.

— John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2019 Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The folks on the development teams for any app, whether it's from Adobe, BlackMagic, Avid, Filmlight, or Apple ... may choose whether and what to give access to within that app for outside developers. As that program is theirs, that is their natural right.

ALL of them place limits on 3rd party apps using their program, largely to attempt to enforce stability. And at times for other reasons.

BlackMagic has a different model ... they develop Resolve to get you to buy BlackMagic hardware. So they are willing to allow a few other control panel companies to hook into Resolve, but ... BlackMagic does NOT allow the 3rd party company or the user any say whatever as to what tools and functions of Resolve are mapped to the control surface. Or where.

And the mapping they create is a rather limited one. To the point it pisses me off. I use that surface for speed of operation and to build a more intuitive physical workflow. But in Resolve, well ... way too many controls on my Elements panel have no function mapped to them.

They have different things pop up depending on what button you just tapped  ... but most of the time half of my panel is useless.

Well, it pisses me off, but that is their right. They want me to spend another thousand bucks for their mini panel or maybe even $30,000 for the big boy.

Again, that's their right.

I've been pushing the Adobe team hard for years to get more of their controls mapped for both general editing and especially audio work out to the API that the Palette and Tangent folks could map to their various devices. It sounds like they are now communicating with each other how to do so.

And for plugins it's a totally similar situation. The entity owning the main app has the right to set the rules as to what is allowed to "connect" and how it does so. And also the right to continue to develop their products.

And absolutely no responsibility for how applets owned by other people are affected by those updates and changes.

We users pay a 3rd party for plugins and therefore it is THEIR responsibility to make sure THEIR customers have a properly functional product.

When any of us has Saphire, Red Giant, or other such 3rd party plugins it is the total responsibility of those companies or entities to see to it that "our" experience is good with their products.

So I'm not being any more gentle with Adobe than others. It's just reality. Not that reality always pleases me but their's nothing I can do about that. Which at times also pisses me off.

But what can anyone do about reality?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Rob+Shaver  wrote

So I'm hoping somebody at Adobe will read this and say, "Hey, this is a two hour job to fix and only a 30 day job to test and verify. Why don't we just go ahead and do it?"

File a feature request:

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feature request filed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SmartSound says you need plugin version 6.0.4 for Premiere Pro (assuming you have Sonic Fire 6). Download; install; reboot. (I'm using Premiere Pro CC 2018).

This launches SmartSound without an error, but now the SEND button in SonicFire doesn't do anything. I have a support ticket out about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If PP knows the plugin is incompatible they why does it install it during the update?

i don't believe PP is installing the plug-in.  Normally they all get installed to a common folder which won't be affected by an update.  So after the update, PP is just reading the already installed plug-in, which is no longer compatible.

I do see your point on the missing data, though.  It would seem obvious for PP to tell you the name as well as the version of the troublesome plug-in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines