• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to disable overwriting on the timeline?!!!

Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2015 Sep 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, whenever I drag another clip on top of another clip in the timeline, it deletes it or a portion of it. I want to DISABLE this option. How do I do this please? I don't want a work around, I want an option stating, don't do this stupid thing and then click it.

Thanks

Also, great. Thanks. just scrolled through my timeline and got this

3ZPf4u9.jpg

Thanks Adobe. This has really helped my workflow and now before the deadline, I'm having to go back and fix this. This has saved me time, thanks. I'm really glad I got CC. Top stuff /s

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 09, 2015 Sep 09, 2015

Holding down the Ctrl key (Cmd key on a Mac) will allow you to do an insert operation instead of an overwrite operation when you drag. Also make sure your Source Patching and Track Targeting are set correctly.

Cheers,

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, the issue is -  when moving a video track to seperate 'layer' or track we cannot control any linked audio, Adobe chooses to dump it on another audio track rather than choose to place it in many available free audio track

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold down shift when dragging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2023 Nov 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar deal... if I decide to slo mo or add a freeze frame.. it just deletes the rest of the clip if that clip runs into another one... really annoying FCP never did that... just moved the other clips backwards to compensate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2022 Jul 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is this still an issue? is there a fix to this? switching from vegas to premiere and everything seems so super inefficient, most annoying part being this overwrite feature..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, the "replace" feature is the most unintuitive and annoying feature I have encountered in any software for the last several years! I just dragged a long clip on my timeline, the end of it was not even visible and it's easy to overwrite something on the end of that clip. I then scrolled further in the timeline and noticed that some of my older clips were removed. That's awfull design. Adobe you have to fix the default behaviour. Just let the clip that was placed last stay on top of the older clip and disable the old clip from playing. That's it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same issue. The drag overwrites the clip, which is a REAL PROBLEM. CTL does not fix it, it still overwrites!! Adobe what to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe do something!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also need help with this. It is very very anoying I have to redo all my work because is deleting the overlaping audios.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To disable overwriting on the timeline in various video editing software, the specific steps may vary. Here's a general guideline: Identify the editing software you are using (e.g., Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, DaVinci Resolve, etc.). Locate the settings or preferences menu within the software. This is typically found in the top menu bar under "Preferences," "Options," or "Settings." Look for an option related to timeline behavior, editing modes, or overwrite/insert modes. The exact terminology may differ depending on the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2023 Nov 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, this is absolutely terrible.

Just realized, when yesterday I was doing some quick edit with the logo layer, I accidentally put it on the layer where some of the b-roll were. Normally in other software, I'd just put the logo layer up, revealing what's under it, and what used to be my b-roll footage. Now it's all gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See, I'm saying this all the time - this feature request thing is useless, they never listen to the users when they ask to change the VERY BASIC features to intutitve and normal ones, instead of nonsense default settings. What did they even add this "Ideas" tab for lol? It's useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines