• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing image sequence: option greyed out

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2013 May 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to import a sequence of numbered images as a video clip into Premiere Pro CS6, but it won't take the files:

I've got 9480 JPEG image files named like BlahXXXX.jpg where XXXX goes from 0000 to 9479.

Now when I go to File > Import... and select all those files, the checkbox in the bottom of the file choosing window (image sequence) gets greyed out. If I just select a single image, I can check it, but when clicking "Import" then, Premiere will only import that single still frame.

What am I doing wrong?

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 08, 2015 Jan 08, 2015

Hi Digihill1,

This works as expected for me. Try this:

1. Choose File > Import (not the Media Browser)
  2. Navigate to the folder with your image sequence in it
  3. Click the first image in the image sequence (only select the first image, not all the images in the folder)
  4. Click the Image Sequence check box at the bottom of the Import dialog box
  5. Click the Import button
  6. Your image sequence is imported as a clip

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...when I go to File > Import... and select all those files,

Only select the first file,

Premiere will recognize the rest if you check the box.

If I just select a single image, I can check it, but when clicking "Import" then, Premiere will only import that single still frame.

Be sure all your images are sequential,

and I always start on frame 0001.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried selecting a single one with the 0000 file as well as the 0001 file - same result, imports a single frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested with an image sequence starting @0000.

No problem.

Be certain all your images are identically named,

and sequentially numbered.

sequence.PNG

in Premiere:

import.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They all are identically named and sequentially numbered, without any breaks. I've generated them with another application.

Could it be possible that Premiere simply can't cope with so many files?

Meanwhile, I found a (lossy) workaround by letting Media Encoder - which strangely enough takes the image sequence without any problems - convert them to a video file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've generated them with another application.

Could it be possible that Premiere simply can't cope with so many files?

How many files in your sequence... 9479?

And, why .jpegs?

I just imported a 9,500 frame sequence (5:16:20 @29.97)... no problem.

LongSequence.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I've exported the image sequence from the other application again and for whatever reason it works now... but thanks anyway.

Why JPEGs? Well they have a fairly good compression/quality ratio compared to the other export alternatives I had in that other application (BMP, PNG) so I took JPEG with the highest quality setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For better quality I would definitely choose .png over .jpg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had limited disk space, else I'd also choose PNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disk space is cheap,

compromised quality is forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as I don't see artifacts in the still frames, it's good enough for me... in this case. Was no important project and something I won't ever use for something else, so no need for perfect quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any clue to what tripped up the original image sequence? If there is a problem, I'd love to know more about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I've tried to export a number of files (1800) from Lightroom (5) and import them into Premiere CC (2014). I pick the first file and then check the "image sequence"-box but it just import the very first images. Nothing else.

In Lightroom I name the files as 000x.jpeg, ex 0001.jpg, 0002.jpg and so on. I use 100% image quality and the resolution is set to 1920x1080. Filesize is about 2-2,5 megabytes as exported jpeg. The wierd thing is, if I pick another folder with images from another Lightroom-export it works like a charm (8-900 files). Same settings, but the size of these files are 1,5 megabytes. Can't Premiere handle bigger files or what?

Someone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wierd #2. I tried to export them again from Lightroom, now with 90% jpeg-quality and now it seems to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 07, 2015 Jan 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with premiere cs6. Can choose first PNG image in sequence  and only the one frame will import with image sequence checked, can not choose more than one image. Image sequence is always greyed out. Will have to use another program to get this job done! HELP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2015 Jan 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the images are not consecutive it wont work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 08, 2015 Jan 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of my PNG images were consecutively numbered. Like I said before the process worked flawlessly in AE CS6, just not in Premiere Pro CS6. Only a single PNG image was allowed to be sequenced with the Image Sequence Checked. If over one was selected the Image Sequence was grayed out and not selectable. If one was selected and imported only one image was sequenced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 08, 2015 Jan 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Digihill1,

This works as expected for me. Try this:

3. Click the first image in the image sequence (only select the first image, not all the images in the folder)
  6. Your image sequence is imported as a clip

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 16, 2015 Jan 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followed your instructions exactly on Premiere Pro CS6:

6. Not working in Premiere Pro CS6. Only the first consecutively numbered image is sequenced, after selecting only the first consecutively numbered image & checking the Sequence Box. Works fine in After Effects CS6 without any issues. Are there any problems with PNG images in Premiere Pro CS6 and sequences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2015 Jan 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restart computer, hold down shift + alt while opening Premiere.

See it that will help.

If not

Make a new project and try to import the image sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to necropost here but the suggestion above does work. As in the "click the first of the sequence, tick the box then Import". I'll admit it's a bit counter-intuitive in that you'd imagine to click a series of images which itself would be a sequence so I understand the confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2016 Feb 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was my problem. My first image was 4546 and the second was 4549...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2016 Feb 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So basically figured it out, and it was my own darn fault really...I did use OS X's batch rename to make the filenames a little easier to deal with...ie project description_sequence0001.png So I do think that helped. But anyways I was too used to using Photoshop/Lightroom etc where importing/opening lots of large files takes a while since it's not a proxy system. But since Premiere Pro is, the opening of files takes a second or two. Also, it looks like PP only imports one file, but scrolling over it shows the whole sequence. This is the first time I have seen this, so that might have been the problem all along.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Media Encoder is what worked for me too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2019 Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did it, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines