Highlighted

Organize for multiple projects

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm struggling to organize in Premiere Pro for multiple future projects. I'm a teacher and I shoot footage all year long. Let's say I make video for the basketball team. During that process I star rate the clips and put comments in. I use the good clips to make a season highlight video. Later in the year I record the talent show, as a seperate PP project, again star rating the clips and adding comments. By the end of the year, I'll have 20 such projects and I'll want to make a video showcasing the whole year. How can I go back and find the best clips from each project? The only 2 options I can think of are ...

1. import every single clip from all year into the "end of the year" project.

2. open each project individually, writing a note to myself about which clip I actually want to include in the "end of the year" project. Then go back and manually import each of those. 

I'm used to Lightroom, where I can organize pictures into folders, rate them and easily find them later because there is only one Lightroom Catalogue. It's really annoying to have to open and close all the video project from all year long, just to find the clips I want to use.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sam

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Organize for multiple projects

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm struggling to organize in Premiere Pro for multiple future projects. I'm a teacher and I shoot footage all year long. Let's say I make video for the basketball team. During that process I star rate the clips and put comments in. I use the good clips to make a season highlight video. Later in the year I record the talent show, as a seperate PP project, again star rating the clips and adding comments. By the end of the year, I'll have 20 such projects and I'll want to make a video showcasing the whole year. How can I go back and find the best clips from each project? The only 2 options I can think of are ...

1. import every single clip from all year into the "end of the year" project.

2. open each project individually, writing a note to myself about which clip I actually want to include in the "end of the year" project. Then go back and manually import each of those. 

I'm used to Lightroom, where I can organize pictures into folders, rate them and easily find them later because there is only one Lightroom Catalogue. It's really annoying to have to open and close all the video project from all year long, just to find the clips I want to use.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sam

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 13, 2020 0
Advocate ,
Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

let's say you export your seaon highlight clips as mp4 h264 full HD ( highly compressed for viewing ).

Let's say you have 6 highlight clips.

You want to make a clip showcasing the whole year ( bits from all the seasonal stuff ).

I would just put all the mp4's into the 'end of year' highlight timeline and pick and choose which portions to use.

You'll lose a little quality since you're not using original material ( assuming original isn't mp4 ) but save all the time. Then just export as another mp4 for your end of year thing.

Otherwise you already know the solution(s) as you indicated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most people think the new Productions workflow is only for massive projects ... which is absurd. It is ideal for small shops and individual users whether you put your entire year's work into one production or say use a Production to house each major ongoing project.

I'm a one-person shop, using a single Production for every job or project I do this year. It's awesome, because all b-roll, sound, graphics, everything created in the year is available for reuse quickly and easily. And it does so without incurring complex combined projects, duplicated assets in multiple projects, or any of the mess of using assets from multiple stand-alone projects together.

In your case, create a Production folder on the root of a drive NOT your system drive, of course. Add a subfolder for Assets perhaps. Then open Premiere, create a New Production, and tell Premiere to put the Production folder inside the named top-level folder for this job.

Now, you have a Production folder, it has a Premiere Production subfolder, and an Asset subfolder. Add your media organized by subfolders to your taste within the Assets subfolder structure.

From the Production panel in Premiere, right-click New Folder, and add a folder for each event. Within that folder, right-click New Project, and create a new project file for that specific event. Import media into that project file from the asset subfolder where you stored the media for that event.

They actually suggest that rather than using bins to organize assets, you may be better served using a new project file for each group of assets. If you do that, you may have a subfolder for say May 21 event, with maybe three project files inside, one for Arri files, one for Sony files, one for Other Assets. This does make searching available only within each of those project files however, so ... I'm still using bins in some projects.

Now as you go through the year, your Production panel will show the folders for each event nicely organized, and within each folder are the project or project files for that event.

You can open mulitple projects of that production at the same time, and select media from one and add to another without any duplication of assets in the project files, as Premiere will simply reference them from the other project. It keeps the current overhead vastly lighter while running Premiere, so you get better playing performance within Premiere ... it's not loading nearly the assets into RAM/cache at any one time.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for these thoughts. So basically, you have one Premiere Pro Project file that you use for all of your projects (at least for a time period). For some reason that seems too simple, but in a good way though. For me as a teacher, I could make one Project for each school year.  I'd put the footage from one event (say basketball game) into it's own folder, then talent show footage in another folder. After the basketball season, I would make a sequence for the basketball highlight video. Then make another sequence for talent show video. While editing those videos, I could star rate the clips to organize and maybe use a special comment for the end of the year highlight video. Then at the end of the year, I could find all the clips I want by doing a search for the special comment and it should show me all those clips from all the events from the whole year. Am I getting that right? I think that would work. It scares me a little to have everything in one project. Are there any downsides to this approach? I'll have to be well organized to keep my Project panel from becoming overwhelming. But that's doable. And what did you mean "create a Production folder on the root of a drive NOT your system drive"? For my school videos, I just have a "2019-2020" folder on my desktop, with folders inside for each event. Is that the root or the system? Thanks so much. I think this is going to help a lot this year (assuming we even have events this year for me to record). 

Sam

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 24, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Teachersam,

Well ... the process is actually not quite that. A Production is not a project file ... it's a system or process within Premiere. A production folder/process is based on folders not project files. So organization is built into the process from the start. And within each folder/subfolder "tree", you can have many, many individual project files.

In fact, you may in your case have your one, overall production folder for the year.

Then you have a Fall subfolder in that production folder. Which has subfolders for each say sport or activity of the fall. Maybe you have seven or so major activities for the fall, each has its own folder tree.

Within each activity's folder you may have multiple perhaps project files, one that only 'contains' the media shot for the activity, another one or two that contain your sequences for that activity.

So it's very different than you're thinking about. And by its very nature, really helps make organization clear and effective.

And because all project files are pretty small, it means they can all load and run with very little load on your computer versus doing everying in one massive project file.

Set up an overall file probably at the root level of a drive, say "20_21 Hex School Year".

Inside that folder create a subfolder for Media and Assets, and also create a Premeire Production folder parked in that overall folder. This way you have one set of folders that will be your Production and its subfolders, and another set of folders that will house your media and other assets.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 25, 2020 0
salvo34 LATEST
Advocate ,
Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you can keep stuff simple and just save the source stuff you use, delete the rest from your HD after editing you hero seasonal stuff... and then at end of year make your final cut. It's really one project rather than a bunch of them.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 25, 2020 0