Highlighted

Premiere Pro CC 2019 can't import .mp4 file

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Schermafbeelding 2019-02-01 om 17.07.21.png

As you can see from the image, the file doesn't import correctly. The first couple of seconds are as they should be but after that I get a green image. The audio still works. There's a red bar over the timeline as well. How can I fix this?

Could you try two things:

1) Switch your Renderer to Software Only. Go to File menu > Project Settings > General > Video Rendering and Playback > Renderer: Mercury Playback Engine Software Only. If that fixes the issue, try updating or rolling back to another driver to see if that fixes the issues with GPU Renderer.

2) If that does not resolve the issue, try turning off hardware acceleration. Go to Premiere Pro Preferences > Media > uncheck "Enable hardware acceleration decoding (requires restart)." Then Save, Quit Premiere Pro, delete your Media Cache folders, launch Premiere Pro and import your files again.

More information on Media Cache: FAQ: How to clean (delete or trash) media cache files?

If none of that helps, could you please send us some sample files for investigation?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Premiere Pro CC 2019 can't import .mp4 file

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Schermafbeelding 2019-02-01 om 17.07.21.png

As you can see from the image, the file doesn't import correctly. The first couple of seconds are as they should be but after that I get a green image. The audio still works. There's a red bar over the timeline as well. How can I fix this?

1) Switch your Renderer to Software Only. Go to File menu > Project Settings > General > Video Rendering and Playback > Renderer: Mercury Playback Engine Software Only. If that fixes the issue, try updating or rolling back to another driver to see if that fixes the issues with GPU Renderer.

2) If that does not resolve the issue, try turning off hardware acceleration. Go to Premiere Pro Preferences > Media > uncheck "Enable hardware acceleration decoding (requires restart)." Then Save, Quit Premiere Pro, delete your Media Cache folders, launch Premiere Pro and import your files again.

More information on Media Cache: FAQ: How to clean (delete or trash) media cache files?

If none of that helps, could you please send us some sample files for investigation?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 01, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change extension to mpg and try again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 01, 2019 3
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After HOURS of trying everything I could find, this simple fix was IT! Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 03, 2019 0
New Here ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do i do that?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 14, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rename the file: {filename}.mpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 14, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one really works!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 19, 2020 1
New Here ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do i do that???

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 14, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MP4 is a wrapper, what is inside YOUR wrapper - Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing - For Windows Internet Explorer press the PRINT SCREEN button on your keyboard, and then do CTRL-V to paste the screen print from the clipboard into a forum message

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

- when you analyze your file in MediaInfo and post a screen shot in the forum, do so in TREE view

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 01, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 01, 2019 1
Advocate ,
Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trent beat me to the punch. What he said!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 01, 2019 0
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm running Adobe Premiere CC that I downloaded a couple of days ago. I'm trying to import MP4 files made by screen recording video from PowerPoint on an iPad Pro 12.9. The file is 30 MB. I can import the video but dragging over to the timeline gets me full audio but only the first image from the video, no feed. I can't select the Renderer Mercury option like Trent suggests because it's in grey. There's nothing I can click. I turned off hardware acceleration to no avail. Can anyone help? I'm just a chemistry teacher.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similiar problem, where only audio worked.
My fix: On the video/audio timeline, to the left of the lock icons, there will be a highlighted V1 on the video portion and A1 on the audio portion. For some reason, if the V1/A1 are not on the actual V1/A1 lanes when importing mp4, it won't load. To reiterate, it only loads for me with the V1/A1 lanes selected.
I don't know if it will work for you since I'm on Windows.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 01, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI last 4 posts are a different issue then the original question.

Original question is a gpu issue

Last 4 post are a fix to an error.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 19, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked for me as I coud not import a .mp4 movie either

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 26, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I am foolish. It was importing I just hadn't noticed that there were more video tracks than I thought and should have scrolled the timeline up. I found out that the file had been exported from Premier by a colleague in the first place so should't have been a problem. 😞

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2020 0