I'm editing on a Mac a feature film project with a lot of rushes saved on an external hard drive.
2 days ago, when I was working on t, I realise that audio from some clips in the timeline suddenly became audio from other random clips.
When I open previous projects using the exact same clips, the audio of these clips in previous timelines have also been mysteriously "swapped".
When I try to re-import the relevant footage from the source, the same issue occurs in these clips.
Strangely enough, I can solve the problem by restarting Premiere Pro (sometimes). But this audio "swap" then happens to other clips.
I've always only copied and saved rushes from the original SD cards onto the external hard drive (using unique names of course). The footage are all shot in AVCHD so there are no MTS files in the SD cards to pull and save (not that I would have done so even if there were).
The only thing I could think of is that MTS as a codec has often caused problem to me in the past in Premiere as it is a crappy consumer codec. So if you do not get better suggestions here think of reencode them to a proper codec like prores, xdcam (mxf), dnxhd (mxf) or at least h.264.
Did you ever resolve this issue? I run a media lab at a school and this happens all the time. It drives me crazy because I can't find a fix. The only thing I've discovered is a preventative measure whereby I try make sure to have students rename any duplicately named media files before they import them. For instance, the problem seems to be associated with imported media files that have the same name such as the default 00001. If there is another file so named, the issue will be more likely to occur. So, if the student is shooting additional footage on another day and is likely to import another clipped named 00001, I try to remind him to rename that clip 00001A before importing it. This seems to work to keep the problem at bay, but I'd love to find an after-the-fact fix because students don't always remember to do the re-naming.