• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why won't Command D work for cross dissolve anymore?

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just used it last week for a project and now this week I'm trying to use it again and nothing happens when I click command and D at the same time.  Last week it would put the cross dissolve between the two clips that I had my cursor near.  Nothing is highlighted, I just have the cursor near the two clips.  Now when I click command and D together, the sequence menu at the top of the screen highlights temorarily and the nothing else happens.  Any idea why it's not working now when it did just last week?

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

In Premiere you need to have a selection to apply a default transition. You are on a mac but the shortcuts probably translate the same. On PC it's:

Shift+D for a Video+Audio Transition

Ctrl+D for only Video

Ctrl+Shift+D for only Audio

Again - you need to select the head/tail/edit point you wish to apply a transition to.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Premiere you need to have a selection to apply a default transition. You are on a mac but the shortcuts probably translate the same. On PC it's:

Shift+D for a Video+Audio Transition

Ctrl+D for only Video

Ctrl+Shift+D for only Audio

Again - you need to select the head/tail/edit point you wish to apply a transition to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh.  I wonder why it worked for me last week.  That's bizarre.  Well I did just get a new computer and I couldn't update PP on my old computer anymore because it didn't meet the system requirements so it's been awhile since I've been able to update.  But I swear it worked last week.  I used to be able to just have the cursor near the head and command D would add the cross dissolve.  At least that's how I've always done it.  Is that a new feature, having to select it?  

Thank you for replying.  It works exactly as you say.  Still baffled about my experience last week though...

Much appreciated,

Misty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually remember that this was one of the more annoying changes for me when I switched from Final Cut 7 to Premiere Pro, which would have been almost 10 years ago during the great seige of FCX. In FC7 I believe it behaved like what you are describing, and I remember that I couldn't do that in Premiere. I had to click, which I thought was lame. I got used to it.

I'm not sure how you got the other functionality, but if it's out there, I'd be curious to know! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I'll keep searching for it so if I find a way, I'll let you know.  Meanwhile, I guess I'll just have to get used to it too.  It's just an unnecessary step in my opinion and I like to keep it simple.  Hopefully there's a way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So, I'm starting a new project in PP tonight and I thought I'd try to add the transition that way I used to (without having to select anything) and it worked!!  All I'm doing is putting my cursor near the end of one clip and beginning of another and clicking command D and it adds the cross dissolve!!  But 2 weeks ago, I had to do exactly as you said, I had to make sure something was selected before it would add the transition.  WTH?  I feel like I'm losing my mind a little.  I have no idea what has changed.  I guess I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed that it continues to work each week, but if it doesn't at least now I know what I need to do.  Wish I had an explanation, but I'll take it!!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to select the clip (for single sided ) or cut (for double side transitions) in order to apply a transition.

If you lasso several clips you can add default transitions to selection (have to make own kbsc).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying ~

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines