• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This file requires the HEVC codec which is included with a Creative Cloud membership. To upgrade...

Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, Adobe Premiere Rush won't import a small H.265 clip. It gives me this error when it opens the folder where the clip resides:

"This file requires the HEVC codec which is included with a Creative Cloud membership. To upgrade to a paid plan, go to..."

I have purchased Rush. I have uninstalled it then reinstalled it. I have signed in and out of Creative Cloud on the Web as well as the desktop app. I still get the error.

Also, the thumbnail of the clip, when trying to start a new project shows "Unable to Load Preview." When I select it and click Create, I get another error message:

"The importer reported a generic error."

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

TOPICS
Desktop version , Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

I believe I found a fix! I reinstalled an older version of Rush. Version 1.5.54 works. The most recent (1.5.62) and the second most recent (1.5.58) both gave me the error.

You can reinstall older versions from Creative Cloud. Click the three dots beside Premiere Rush and then 'Other versions'. Install 1.5.54.

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Macgeekppc,

Sorry! As I understand it, you are working with drone footage. The drone can shoot HEVC in a .mov wrapper or an .mp4 wrapper. If on Windows, please try shooting in the .mp4 wrapper and see if that works for you. If not, you can also try transcoding the footage in Media Encoder or freeware Shutter Encoder.

Edit: @Macgeekppc, are you using HEVC 4:2:2 10-bit footage? It's not supported. That could be the issue. Let us know. The guidance is to transcode to an editing codec or H.264 usi

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 280 Replies 280
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still utterly broken.

Glad I'm paying for this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgraded to a new M1 MacBook Pro. Reinstalled Rush. Same errors. Still no fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another issue recommended updated Nvidia Drivers. But this still happens after today's update on Windows 11. 

Tried opening a support ticket since I'm paying for Creative Cloud. Not sure if I should try Premier Pro since this seems to be affecting that as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with blanked out thumbnails and unable to import file due to HEVC codec required.

I went to Edit....preferences and ticked 'enable hardware accelaration encoding and decoding'

The thumbnails were then rendered and the file was imported, playable and able to be edited.

This is on a desktop with additional graphics card, Cloud membership (Photography) and the 99cent codec previously downloaded from Microsoft store.

Hopefully this may help some people with the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_20211201_155532.jpg

Hello. Premiere Rush refuses to export the project to a file, showing a message that the HEVC codec is needed, but I have a paid subscription for more than a year. What could be the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As this problem seems to be persisting, I just filed a bug report through official Adobe channels...

So all customers who have this issue, please vote/comment/follow the new ticket here:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/916423-premiere-rush/suggestions/44518785-premiere-rush-err...

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may not be the solution for everyone but may be for some. I came to this page having experienced exactly the same problem when trying to import a H.265 from a DJI drone. Same error message and upgrade advice but have since been able to get thumbnails rendered, imported and editable.

My setup...... Creative Cloud (photography) membership, desktop computer with a GeForce graphics card, the HEVC codec previously installed for another program from Microsoft store, an earlier Rush install but just updated to Premiere Rush 2.0

The solution for me was to go to Edit...Preferences. Select...Enable hardware acceleration encoding and decoding.

As stated above the thumbnails are then rendered and the file can be imported, is visible and can be edited. This is on Rush 2.0 currently but I had the previous version functioning with H.265 clips as well.

If I return to the preferences menu and disable hardware acceleration, then restart Rush the clips are not rendered and I receive the error message "This file requires the HEVC codec, which is included with a Creative Cloud membership. To upgrade to a paid plan, go to: www.adobe.com/go/video    OK

The solution for me was to have hardware acceleration enabled.....it might be for you if your setup is similar.

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution for me was to go to the Edit menu > Preferences. Then select Enable hardware acceleration encoding and decoding.

Thanks so much for sharing that, Ian!

Have others here tried this to see if it works for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine was already enabled - doesn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried downgrading from 2.0 to 1.5.54 with the exact same issue and it worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No dice. Still broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last couple of suggestions:

Anyone with hardware older than around 2015/16 will be unlikely, to be able to run H.264 or H.265 (HEVC) codecs.

Sourced from: https://www.tomshardware.com/reference/h264-h265-hevc-codec-definition

Also found on my system (which is no longer having the problem) I replicate the error by changing the following Windows 10 setting:

Settings...System...Graphics Settings ----Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling. Reduce Latency & improve performance

Turning this off brings the 'HEVC Required' error back and turning it on with a system restart stops the error.

note: if you turn this setting off in Windows settings it also deselects the Hardware Acceleration option in Rush preferences so make sure to reselect it in Rush.

Lastly double check graphics card performance options and up to date firmware.

That's the last I can suggest to check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I built my PC around late 2019 - MSI MPG X570 AMD board (AMD Ryzen 7 3rd Gen 3700x chip) with an ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1060 6GB video card.  I just checked the setting and enabled it, rebooted.....still getting the HEVC codec issue when trying to do 5k video, and I just updated the graphics card driver as well to the latest version (2 days old actually).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an eight year old pc and graphics card. I got this error when I turned on cLog on my Canon R5. This setting changed the H.265 file from 4:2:0 8bit to 4:2:2 10 bit. Turning clog off and returning to 4:2:0 8 bit made the error go away. I posted a link in another reply that gives examples  wifi cameras that create 4:2:0 vs 4:2:2 files and what settings on the Canon R5 cause this change. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the typos in the last reply. I meant to note that I'm using Rush 2.0 on the photo plan with no error messages from the small test videos I took with cLog turned off. I turn cLog on, and I get the error message all the time. I think the issue for me didn't start with a Rush upgrade but with my turning on a setting that started to create the 4:2:2 10 bit videos. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been 6 months and Adobe still hasn't fixed this. When I contacted  support they kept claiming that Rush isn't included with the Photography plan, which is not true since Oct 2021. I kept getting asked to purchase Rush separately. So frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To everyone who is impacted by this issue, please vote/comment/follow the official bug report here:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/916423-premiere-rush/suggestions/44518785-premiere-rush-err...

These forums are primarily user-to-user, so elevating that ticket is the best way to get it in front of the Rush developers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that the error went away if I turned off my camera settings that caused the creation of 4:2:2 10 bit H.265 files. For example, I use a Canon R5 and turned off cLog. 

Here is a Youtube video that describes the difficulty of getting hardware to edit 4:2:2 10bit.About six minutes in, he includes a chart showing what Canon R5 settings to get 4:2:0 8 bit. This may explain why some people are not having the issue (ie, their camera does not create 4:2:2 ).

How to Easily Edit EOS R5 4K and 8K Video | 4K Shooters

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, have the same issue. I used just Rush for now. In a desesperate attempt, I upgrade the the Rush + Premier subscription and it solve the issue.. , maybe a sync with old abo sub issue? don't know.... but no errors anymore....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I was on a chat with a support rep for about 2 hours today and basically they told me the issue was on their end but the only solution to it was to have the full Creative Cloud which is like 3x more than the services I use now. Basically, he said that their is a conflict between the Photography Package and the Rush subscription. Why that is my issue and why their hasn't been a fix for this yet, I'm not sure. Cancelled my Rush package. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JustuScapes 

I think you got inaccurate information from the support rep. Either Rush is premium or it's not. The message is happening to premium paid customers, but only for some videos (like GoPro). Other videos are working fine for those same customers. And sometimes, rolling back to an older version of Rush (e.g., 1.5.54) fixes the issue.

So really, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with which subscription plan. It's looks more like a technical issue somewhere. Some people suspect it has to do with the age of the PC used, the video card and drivers, or the processor. So make sure those are all as up to date as possible.

In any event, please vote/comment/follow the official bug report here:

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That request has been open for a while. Adobe is fine letting us continue to pay for a program that doesn't work. 

I have a brand new PC, BTW. 12700k with a RTX 3070. I'm also on Windows 11. Not sure any of that matters. Some people have had this error on a Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I filed that official report only last month – so it hasn't really been a while yet.

Still, it would be nice to hear from Adobe that they're investigating the issue.

So the best thing to do is add a comment and vote it up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would also be nice if Adobe offered some kind of compensation, but alas...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They did give me a credit for my photography plan for 30 days

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines