• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This file requires the HEVC codec which is included with a Creative Cloud membership. To upgrade...

Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, Adobe Premiere Rush won't import a small H.265 clip. It gives me this error when it opens the folder where the clip resides:

"This file requires the HEVC codec which is included with a Creative Cloud membership. To upgrade to a paid plan, go to..."

I have purchased Rush. I have uninstalled it then reinstalled it. I have signed in and out of Creative Cloud on the Web as well as the desktop app. I still get the error.

Also, the thumbnail of the clip, when trying to start a new project shows "Unable to Load Preview." When I select it and click Create, I get another error message:

"The importer reported a generic error."

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

TOPICS
Desktop version , Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

I believe I found a fix! I reinstalled an older version of Rush. Version 1.5.54 works. The most recent (1.5.62) and the second most recent (1.5.58) both gave me the error.

You can reinstall older versions from Creative Cloud. Click the three dots beside Premiere Rush and then 'Other versions'. Install 1.5.54.

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Macgeekppc,

Sorry! As I understand it, you are working with drone footage. The drone can shoot HEVC in a .mov wrapper or an .mp4 wrapper. If on Windows, please try shooting in the .mp4 wrapper and see if that works for you. If not, you can also try transcoding the footage in Media Encoder or freeware Shutter Encoder.

Edit: @Macgeekppc, are you using HEVC 4:2:2 10-bit footage? It's not supported. That could be the issue. Let us know. The guidance is to transcode to an editing codec or H.264 usi

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 282 Replies 282
Explorer ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do hope it is soon. Looks like it's been almost a year since my original post!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is infuriating!!  It took me 2.5 hours to edit all of my media together and now I am going on 4 plus hours just trying to figure out how to save it!!!  Saving it should be the easty part!!  I've tried every suggestion I have found and none of them work.  I have since upgraded to Premiere Pro hoping that would help and it does not.  I even upgraded plans to ensure I had the most adobe offers, but nothing will work at all.  This was an important presentation and now it appears I have to abandon it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reached out to Adobe support today on Twitter trying to get attention on this, hoping for an answer about when a patch may be available. 

intercede007_0-1654551164503.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to fix this by cancelling my Rush subscription. Once that billing period ran out and the inclusion with the Photography package kicked in exports work again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found a solution if you don't care about uploading your file to the cloud. 

From the Home page, click Project Options (3 dots) of the project you want to edit, then click Turn Sync Off.

sync off.png

Wait for the icon to change from the PC and cloud, to just the PC.

no cloud.png

Then close Premiere Rush so that it applies the setting. Open Premiere Rush, then open the project. You should now be able to add HEVC videos to the project because it is no longer using the cloud.

Like this reply if it works for you so others can see it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disregard the above. When I try to share/export the video, the HEVC files come up black in the new video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I GOT IT WORKING! 

So I downgraded the version to 1.5.50 but it said my project was edited in a newer version and it wouldn't open. So then I installed version 1.5.54, shared/saved the to my local destination (my computer hard drive) and it worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After doing a bunch of trial and error, getting myself all frustrated I about gave up.  Tried support and they had me log out and log back in again WHICH WORKED! 🙂

I hope this simple tip helps save someone some time/frustration!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah it worked for a whole 15 minutes and we are back to the same issue again, sorry 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After frustrating for a while over this issue, I reached out to Support and officially got the answer that I had been slowly dawning through this thread and clicking various subscriotion links.

The answer, at least for me, seems to be that I am using the free version of Premier Rush, and it does not support HEVC.

This despite the fact that my CC Photography 1TB plan claims to include Premier Rush. Yes, confirmed Supprot, it does: the free version. 

This is highly confusing and frustrating on Adobe's part. And I do realize that some of you have an honest-to-goodness Premier or All Apps subscription and still get the error. I am just speaking to those who, like I, have been led to believe that our subscription include Premier Rush when it really does not. It says that it does, but it does not. So it's not a technical issue, it is a marketing/documentation issue.

Now, a more interesting challenge is: how to add a (paid) Premier Rush subscription to my CC Photography 1TB subscriotion. The support person said that an account management team will reach to me to solve this and asked me for a good phone number and time of day for them to call me. At that point, I was so disappointed I just dropped the chat. Apparently, if I were top opt for this option, it would not be straighforward and would require a call. 

I am currently trying to learn DaVinci Resolve. It is more powerful than Premier Rush, and free, but it is more sophisticated, more like Premier Pro. Premier Rush has a lot going for it. I am still deciding. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2022 Sep 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit ridiculous that this is still a problem for sure. I thought I had it fixed by ending my Premiere Rush subscription and letting the Photoshop subscription take over which comes with Rush now. Nope, was only temporary relief. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this issue and having a paid subscription with Rush it asks me to upgrade this is frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, the solution was to sign out of my adobe account within the Adobe Premiere Rush program itself rather than the Creative Cloud App.

Open Rush.
Click "Help" in upper right corner.
6th option down "Sign out... (username)."
Close Rush.
Open Rush.
Sign in using your Adobe account information.
Problem solved.

I think signing in from the app itself cleared whatever account issue it was having with Creative Cloud.
Hopefully this helps others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, thank you for sharing. Could it be that simple? Adobe says that signing in/out anywhere will sign in/out everywhere. So that would indicate a glitch if signing out & in had to be done specifically (only) from within Rush itself.

What version of Rush are you running, and on which version of operating system? Also, what paid Creative Cloud plan(s) do you subscribe to? It would be very helpful to know those answers as well. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me! I have version 2.6. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many years and this MAJOR bug still isn't fixed?! Wow.........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rush v 2.5 - How is it now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No change. Same errors with this latest version (2.5)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, i’ve tried several release versions

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeap, they want you on the premium package probably, it is more profitable for them. Without Rush, you will have to go for the Premiere. 
I tried today latest version 2.5 something today, still same error. I had to go back to 1.5.54 again in order to be able to edit common MP4 files... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My roll back version 1.5.54 which was working with hevc now giving me blue screen of death and rebooting windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per suggestions I've found here over a year ago, I downgraded my Rush ver, to 1.5.54.  By the way I have a Photo subscription(Lightroom & Photoshop AND a Rush subscription).That solved the problem for a day or so, then it came back.  A chat with Adobe support today uncovered the following...apparently there's a "basic" version of Rush embedded in either Lightroom or Photoshop that conflicts with the "premium" version of Rush I pay for.  Support suggested I log out of Creative Cloud and all other Adobe apps, restart pc.  After doing that the "HEVC codec" error disappeared and all worked perfectly with ver. 1.5.54.  I have not reinstalled the latest ver. of Rush to determine if it also will function properly.  But...problem solved for now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for letting us know. @Droningon49 above also reported that signing out and signing back in again (from the Help menu of the Rush app) addressed the problem:

For me, the solution was to sign out of my adobe account within the Adobe Premiere Rush program itself rather than the Creative Cloud App.

Note this wouldn't change the version of Rush installed on your computer. But perhaps it still helps somehow.

Please let us know if you have any further issues should you upgrade to the latest version of Rush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is 585 days old. It prevents basic functionalty. What is the plan technical support?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines