• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This file requires the HEVC codec which is included with a Creative Cloud membership. To upgrade...

Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, Adobe Premiere Rush won't import a small H.265 clip. It gives me this error when it opens the folder where the clip resides:

"This file requires the HEVC codec which is included with a Creative Cloud membership. To upgrade to a paid plan, go to..."

I have purchased Rush. I have uninstalled it then reinstalled it. I have signed in and out of Creative Cloud on the Web as well as the desktop app. I still get the error.

Also, the thumbnail of the clip, when trying to start a new project shows "Unable to Load Preview." When I select it and click Create, I get another error message:

"The importer reported a generic error."

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

TOPICS
Desktop version , Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

I believe I found a fix! I reinstalled an older version of Rush. Version 1.5.54 works. The most recent (1.5.62) and the second most recent (1.5.58) both gave me the error.

You can reinstall older versions from Creative Cloud. Click the three dots beside Premiere Rush and then 'Other versions'. Install 1.5.54.

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Macgeekppc,

Sorry! As I understand it, you are working with drone footage. The drone can shoot HEVC in a .mov wrapper or an .mp4 wrapper. If on Windows, please try shooting in the .mp4 wrapper and see if that works for you. If not, you can also try transcoding the footage in Media Encoder or freeware Shutter Encoder.

Edit: @Macgeekppc, are you using HEVC 4:2:2 10-bit footage? It's not supported. That could be the issue. Let us know. The guidance is to transcode to an editing codec or H.264 usi

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 282 Replies 282
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Larry2583672859j7,

Please try this solution suggested above, and let us know it it helps:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-rush-discussions/this-file-requires-the-hevc-codec-which-is-...

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't work for me although I think I saw in the thread it worked for
SOME others

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work before, doesn't work still. 

intercede007_0-1674056921515.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, no, nooo! Nothing! Still the same problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work for me either. This is ridiculous. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried version 1.5 which worked for a while til Creative Cloud updated for me, downgraded again and now it doesn't work any more. I pay for the photograph pack which includes Rush.

Mod note: Edited for content. Profanity removed. Please abide by Adobe Community Guidelines here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2023 Jan 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to Windows 11. Premiere Rush works again. 

That shouldn't be neccessary. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I wonder if this is because of the codec.

"Does Windows 11 come with HEVC? In most cases, the HEIF and HEVC codecs will already be installed on Windows 11." [source]

But on Windows 10, as noted earlier on this thread, you need to install the HEVC codec manually from the operating system... See this post above from 2021.

So anybody on Windows 10 who is having this issue, you could try installing the "HEVC Video Extensions" from the Microsoft Store app and see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not that. You get the codec with the Premiere Rush package. But no, I had the Windows HEVC codec installed aready. And then I reinstalled it. And I rereinstalled it. 

Didn't matter a bit to the problem.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well the "fix" of upgrading to Windows 11 lasted all of one use. Guess I'll need to reinstall Windows 11 each time I want to use Premiere Rush. 

intercede007_0-1675142614703.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can see that the problem is not the presence of the HEVC code. Adobe Media Encoder, and Premiere Rush, handle this video just fine. 

Why is Premiere Rush like this?

intercede007_0-1675143242280.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere*, not Premiere Rush. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

....is this it? Is it fixed? Could this be the end of our 1 year, 7 months, 28 day adventure together?

intercede007_0-1675878644537.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not for most. I believe I saw a couple of people that this worked for but
generally no. This problem is 3 years old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2.7 was released today though? And it went from not-working to is-working with the update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good question. Could be encouraging. Does the new version 2.7 of Premiere Rush address the issue for anyone else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you upgrade to Premier Rush, you can put it together on PC, sync it to the mobile app, then export it from there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really frustrating that now instead of saving money by going with my photoshop & rush plan, Adobe is practically forcing me to upgrade and pay another $20 just to edit videos. I'm switching to another editing software. This is ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, the new 2.7 update seems to have fixed it. Have you tried it yet? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that didn't work for very long. 

Again, Premiere Rush throws an HEVC error but Adobe Media Encoder and Premiere can ingest and export the video just fine. The codec works on this machine. 

hevc1_premiereRush.jpg

hevc1_mediaEncoder.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Posted  by another user. Logging out and back in immediately resolved the issue for me.  Windows 11 - Rush as part of Photography package.

Open Rush.
Click "Help" in upper right corner.
6th option down "Sign out... (username)."
Close Rush.
Open Rush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's temporary relief, like when I upgraded to Windows 11 or installed the new version of Rush. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on MacBook Pro (2021) and Rush 2.7.0. and a full Adobe subscription. The HEVC clips shot with my iPhone only play sound and not the video stream in the program. Premiere Pro and Quicktime play the clips just fine.

I'm supposed to give a Rush training tomorrow for video editing newbies, telling them how to easily edit videos shot with a mobile phone. Thanks again Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump. 

Why is this still a problem? Clearly the codec is installed - Rush wouldn't have decoded and displayed the video prior to this prompt if it wasn't. I can run this through Adobe Media Encoder just fine. I don't get an HEVC error with it or Premiere. But I use Media Encoder anyway because I don't nead the features of Premiere - I just want to cut a clip. 

Please Adobe, can you fix this once and for all?

intercede007_0-1679754910512.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines