Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Combining Child Projects (Unmerging) in Robohelp2020

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am at a complete loss at what to do and hoping someone can explain this to me in easy to follow directions. I am looking to combine 32 child projects ("unmerge") into 1 project to work easily with Zendesk and Github. With that being said, I had orginally had tried to do this in Robohelp2019 (as my coworker who used to do this left directions for me before she exited the company) and it didnt work. 

I contacted Adobe and was told I needed to upgrade to Robohelp2020 first before unmerging all the projects and putting them into one project. I did that and I tried to follow this article https://helpx.adobe.com/robohelp/using/manage-projects.html.

Unfortunately still no luck and Im running out of time to get this done. Can someone explain this to me easily? Im new to understanding this part of Robohelp . To confirm Im looking to take the 32 child projects, which now each have a .rhph file, and create one project with all that information. 

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this thread help? - https://community.adobe.com/t5/robohelp-discussions/unmerging-merged-projects/td-p/3863550 - sounds like a fairly simple process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only see instructions there on how to merge a project, not import the topics from the children into the parent.

What you have to do is simple enough but a bit painful and time consuming. Open the parent in 2020 and then import the topics.That will bring in the topic, associated CSS and any images. You can import all the topics in any one folder in one operation.

From the Import context menu make sure you choose HTML Topic, otherwise it will not import topics correctly.

After importing the contents of a folder, you need to do some work on them.

• Make sure they are pointing to your parent project CSS, unless you want them using what gets imported. The easiest way is to right click them in the folder in Contents and multi-select them, then right click and choose Properties. Delete the existing CSS first before then applying the correct CSS.
  • Next add them to the TOC.
  • Then look at the reports.
    • Broken Links. This bit will be messy and perhaps left until the end. The relative location of topics will be changing.
    • Unused files.
    • Unreferenced Topics.
    • Topic Properties when done to make sure everything is in the TOC.
    • Style Sheets. I expect at the end you will only want to see one applied to all topics.
  • You will also need to check any tagging and update your presets.

Above all, make a backup of where you are now and I would do the same at least daily until it's all working.

It's possible to copy all the Contents folders across in Explorer but I would have concerns about how that works. Subject to frequent backups you could try it but I think it will create more issues than it solves.

BTW. How many topics in all roughly? Whilst there is no maximum number in theory, you don't want to create a monster.

Good luck in sorting this out. 

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Peter, I'm also considering merging sub projects into one project. Here based for the moment on chm's in output. I would gain a considerable time in compilation and it would be lesser prone to errors. From what amount of topics on, you would create a 'monster'? Best regards Olivier Toebosch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Olivier Toebosch It is not a number based criterion. Merging can be because of the shear number of topics but it can also be logical structure reasons. Reasons for Merging Help (grainge.org)

I appreciate you asked about unmerging but the reasons apply either way. I would say don't merge unless you need to but when one of the reasons I cover applies, then consider it. What you merge or unmerge, the next guy along will do the opposite.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Grainge : I lose a considerable time in compilation. Have 3 separated translated language versions, have to compile them, include them as a luggage file in the 3 main projects (replacing old ones), refresh the toc and compile again.

For every change to our software I have to compile 6 times. And check in the results in our source repository...

I've not looked into 'automatic' language transitions in our case, as our software is using a naming conventions to determine the language. That's food for future thoughts. But unmerging would half my compilation time.

That load time issue you mention in the reasons to use a merged project, is that still an issue with the actual software and actual processor performances?

Just wondering, if I merge, if links to external chm's (in luggage files)  will be functionning. I guess not...How could I solve that? Or could that be a reason NOT to unmerge (what you meant with logical structure)?

Thank you for your support

Olivier

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That load time issue you mention in the reasons to use a merged project, is that still an issue with the actual software and actual processor performances?

Is More manageable projects what you mean by my reference to load time? That was a project of 14,000 topics on a much older version of RoboHelp and when processors were much slower. Usually people are changing to merged help where that is an issue. Whether or not it will be an issue going the other way is something I cannot tell you.

Just wondering, if I merge, if links to external chm's (in luggage files)  will be functionning. I guess not...How could I solve that? Or could that be a reason NOT to unmerge (what you meant with logical structure)?

When you unmerge all the content will be in one project. Thus a link to what was in an external file will now have to be a link to the topic in the same project. As such the path will be wrong and need to be changed. I covered that here. https://community.adobe.com/t5/robohelp-discussions/combining-child-projects-unmerging-in-robohelp20...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp