Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH2020.2 Images of linked file are not updated

Enthusiast ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am not sure if this is a bug or if it works as designed. I have a topic that I use in two projects. So, I create and maintain this topic in one project and have it linked into the other project. If I change anything in the topic, I see that I have to sync it in my other project. However, if I change existing images in the source topic, the linked one still uses the old images. Also, newly added images are not taken over to the linked topic.

Apparently, the images are being copied into the second project once I include the link, but after that, this folder is no longer updated.

Any opinions on this?

Regards
Karin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

I have had confirmation that only the file gets linked, not images or other assets linked to it. You will therefore need to link those separately as I suggested.

I suggest you raise this as a bug. 

https://tracker.adobe.com

Post the link to your bug report in this thread and others can vote for it. The more people who do so, the higher it gets prioritised.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not the same as the old Resource Manager.

I can't quite recall what I found when I did a proper test on this. If you change the image in Project 1 I believe it should then show as out of sync and you have the option to sync it back. Is that not the case? I can't check right now.

The other way of working might be to edit the image in the linked folder so that both projects show as out of sync.

For the next bit, do make sure you have a back up of your project first. What is in the Linked Folder does not get updated for new files and, I think, removed files. Try unlinking and linking again. Do the images used still retain their links.

Post back what you find and we can take it from there.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, as you say, if I change the image in Project 1, Project 2 says "out of sync". Then, when I sync, it says all fine, but the image is still old (resp. for new ones, not there at all).

I got the impression something got broken in RH2020.2 I broke the link and re-created the topic link, but no images came with it at all. I will investigate this further tomorrow. As far as I can recall, this has been working as you say in 2019 new UI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you changed the image in Project 1 and synced it. What was shown in the source?

Logically if Project 2 is unchanged, then so is the source.

If you can just clarify what happens where, I will take this up with Adobe again.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, here is what happens in RH2020.2 and in RH2019.0.14:

- Project 1 (source): I create a new topic and insert an image in it

- Project 2: I link the topic from Project 1 to this project

The result here is, that in Project 2, the image is not displayed. I would expect that the image can also be shown here. I am almost positive that this also was the case in previous RH versions.

Being the case that the images are not imported (or linked) at all, this explains why I did encounter the problem of my initial post with the images not syncing. But, as I said, I believe this has already been working and thus is a bug. Or is it not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had misread the issue but I will set up some tests later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you change any text in the Project 1 and then sync, does that update in Project 2 when that is synced?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, any text changes do update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I set up Project 1 with a topic that has an image in it. In project 2 the image did not show from the start, just a square to indicate there should be an image.

Please test with another topic. 

I think I can see a workaround for now but it shouldn't be necessary. I'm just about to test that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked. After linking the topic I deleted the square and then in Project 2 I linked the image separately. Next I edited the image in Project 1 and saved. Project 2 then showed the image as out of sync but syncing it updated what was shown.

Whilst that worked, I don't think it should be a separate sync so I will report that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the image in Project 2 actually in Assets and showing it is out of sync?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the image does not get imported into assets - images in project 2 at all. But in my opinion, it should get imported there. And I think, they used to get imported there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have taken this up with Adobe to see what they say should happen.

Meantime were these projects created in Classic where I think you said this worked? 

In Project 2 please create a second link to the topic in Project 1 in a different folder. Do the images show straight away in Project 2? I am expecting they will not and that applying my workaround will fix things for now.

I'll let you know what I hear from Adobe but I suspect any fix will only work with newly created links and the above will be necessary for anything that is currently broken. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been working in RH 2019 new UI, but not in the latest version.

I linked the topic again to a different folder in project 2, with the same effect. I also tried to manually add the "images" folder, but still, the images used in the linked topic don't get imported. The folder "images" remains empty and thus no images are displayed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On recreating the link, the image does not show right from the beginning, correct?

That's what I have reported. I'll update you when I can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, exactly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had confirmation that only the file gets linked, not images or other assets linked to it. You will therefore need to link those separately as I suggested.

I suggest you raise this as a bug. 

https://tracker.adobe.com

Post the link to your bug report in this thread and others can vote for it. The more people who do so, the higher it gets prioritised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I reported this as a bug: https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/RH-8377

Thanks for your support, Peter! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp