• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I use one of your 'free' stock images commercially?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I was browsing through your 'Free' stock images assuming they'd all be public domain. However, I noticed that they all seem to have the 'Standard License', which to my understanding means they can't be used in a commercial project (in this instance a book that would be commercially available).

The part I'm confused about is there doesn't seem to be any way of licensing these free images on an Enhanced or Extended license - is that correct? If there is a way, how would you get the different license?

Thanks for your help

TOPICS
Licensing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which part of the standard license seems to say you can't use them in a commercial project? We aren't lawyers, but we might be able to point out something you missed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the bit that seems to cover being able to use an image commercially:

'Asset may be used in merchandise, templates, or other products for resale*'

This is only ticked for 'Extended License', so my understanding would be you can only use an image for 'resale' when you have an Extended License. The options available for Standard License cover things which aren't commercial (an advert is used to sell something that's commercial but the advert is not commercial itself because no one pays you for it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Wilson23342775c5ab I think the difference is whether the image is the primary item for sale or the book.  If you are using the image for a book cover, it's not really the primary item for sale - the actual book is.  Note, there are limitations of 500,000 copies too for standard licenses.

Again, this is just my opinion and interpretation.

Rob R, Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind - I'd only looked at the 'License Comparison' table and not the information under it. My mistake, and thanks for your response

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The free assets are available under the standard license. 

Standard licenses

Most Adobe Stock photos, vectors, and illustrations come with a Standard license. With a Standard license, you may:

• Reproduce up to 500,000 copies of the asset in all media, including product packaging, printed marketing materials, digital documents, or software.
  • Include the asset in email marketing, mobile advertising, or a broadcast or digital program if the expected number of viewers is fewer than 500,000.
  • Post the asset to a website or social media site with no limitation on views.
  • Include the asset in some types of products, such as inside a textbook, as long as the primary value of the product is not the asset itself, and the product is not reproduced more than 500,000 times.
  • Share the unmodified asset with your employees and contractors who have contractually agreed to abide by the license terms.
  • Transfer the license to your client or employer.

With a Standard license, you may not:

• Distribute the stand-alone file.
  • Create merchandise, templates, or other products for resale or distribution where the primary value of the product is associated with the asset itself. For example, you can't use the asset to create a poster, t-shirt, or coffee mug that someone would buy specifically because of the asset printed on it.
  • Transfer the license to more than one employer or client, unless separately licensed for each.

Take a look here to compare the license types:  https://stock.adobe.com/ca/license-terms#standardLicenses

If you need the Enhanced or Extended license, you would need to purchase the asset.

I hope this helps, and please remember as @Test Screen Name said, we aren't lawyers, nor Adobe Employees.  Just interpreting Adobe's Free offers and licensing as we understand them.

Rob R, Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great, thanks - I stopped at the 'License Comparison' table and didn't read below it - my mistake!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started