• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Possible defective image file

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2019 Aug 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the process of downloading an image I licensed, several error windows displayed. However, I was eventually able to download the image, but it is only 158 k (minus the white space and lettering) at a resolution of 72, which makes it virtually unusable for printing. Effectively, the image I downloaded is the same size as a preview minus the watermarks. I have re-downloaded with the same results. My question: Is the small resolution due to the errors, or was this just a low quality image. I have not been able to find an avenue to contact adobe on this or the original stock creator. Thx.

The image is 159134019​

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Drew_in_Albuquerque  wrote

Yes, I opened it in AI, and have been able to place it in the PS layout I'm working with. You've answered my question about low res vectors. Thank you.

Vector assets do not have "resolutions", they can be scaled to nearly any size. But if you create a pixel design out of it, the resolution is fixed AFTER you have converted it to a pixel graphic. So my recommendation here is to do that as late as possible in the design phase. If you have a current Photoshop, you could eve

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I licensed and opened the file at my end and it works absolutely fine. Since you have been struggling with this image it might not be of any use to you. Kindly update the thread and let us know if we can give you an additional image license which you can use instead.

Thanks

Kanika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Kanika. No need for a replacement--I like this image. What res is the file you opened?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew,

In Photoshop: Width - 1868 Pixels and Height - 1966 Pixels

Thanks

Kanika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What program did you use to open the asset?

As it is a vector image, it is quite normal that the used asset storage size is low.

You need to use Adobe Illustrator to open it. Eventually a different vector editor will work too, but that really depends on the asset.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I opened it in AI, and have been able to place it in the PS layout I'm working with. You've answered my question about low res vectors. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drew_in_Albuquerque  wrote

Vector assets do not have "resolutions", they can be scaled to nearly any size. But if you create a pixel design out of it, the resolution is fixed AFTER you have converted it to a pixel graphic. So my recommendation here is to do that as late as possible in the design phase. If you have a current Photoshop, you could even put the asset on a smart layer, keeping it as a vector graphic.

Important is that you open it once in Illustrator and use save as to save it under a current Illustrator format with "PDF compatible" enabled.

Photoshop can't render the Illustrator, but understands the PDF data.

If you keep the illustrator as a smart layer, you will be able to edit or resize without loss of quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did convert it to pdf to use in Photoshop, but didn't understand the resolution issue of vectors. Using as a smart layer is a good idea. I appreciate your explanation, Abambo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, it‘s simple. For vectors, you have the information of a type like: Draw a line from point A to point B of size X on the artboard. If someone puts that on a bigger artboard, everthing needs to scale accordingly. It‘s rastered at the time of the output (or for Photoshop, when you rasterize the layer). The current resolution of the output device will define resolution for the rasterization. So do that at the very last moment...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started