Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Commercial use of 3D Asset library

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I work at a video game studio and we are looking to purchase a license to use Substance 3D Asset Library in the game we are developing.
What I need to clarify whether we are legally able to use any of the materials in the library in our game, as a commercial product?
Is there a page that covers this that I can point our egal team at or a contact?

Many thanks,
T

TOPICS
Discussion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Hi Toby,

Yes the assets can be used commercially! They can be used as-is if they are used in a "larger work" or in a "modified work", which is completely the case in a video game (the 3D assets just can't be sold as is without modification for example).
The 3D assets follog the general Adobe terms of use, as well as dedicated additional terms of use.

Please let me know if you have more questions!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Toby,

Yes the assets can be used commercially! They can be used as-is if they are used in a "larger work" or in a "modified work", which is completely the case in a video game (the 3D assets just can't be sold as is without modification for example).
The 3D assets follog the general Adobe terms of use, as well as dedicated additional terms of use.

Please let me know if you have more questions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excuse me.

You mentionaed that uses in larger works or in a modified work for commercial uses are allowed.

I just want to confirm that if the situation bellow is allowed.

If  I make a 3D sculpture with blender and meterials from Adobe substance 3D Community Assets, then sell the image of this sculpture, would I violate any terms that I should followed?

Thank you for reading my question.

By Tina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No that is perfectly fine, this would be both a larger work and a modified work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excuse me for interrupting,Marion3D

I have a question about Adobe Substance 3D Community Assets.

But there was no answer I could find in the thread of questions I built.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/substance-3d-assets-and-community-assets/questions-about-adobe-substa...

Are they still available for free for personal and commercial projects?

I have checked the URL below and the Adobe Substance 3D Community Assets PDF.

BORN DIGITAL Support

https://support.borndigital.co.jp/hc/ja/articles/4402770744729-Substance-Share%E3%81%AB%E5%A4%89%E6%...

PDF

https://wwwimages2.adobe.com/content/dam/cc/jp/legal/servicetou/Adobe-Substance-3D-Community-Assets-...

However, it is still too difficult to understand the PDF,

so I would appreciate your confirmation.

If you could please respond, it would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Yuyunono - I do not know the content of the Born Digital document and can not say if it is accurate or not.

However as stated in my previous comment the assets from Substance 3D Community Assets can be used commercially for free.

They can be used as-is if they are used in a "larger work" (a video game, a render etc.) or in a "modified work" (a material has been applied on a 3D model, or the material has been used as a base to add more things to it etc.)>
The 3D assets just can't be sold as is without modification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response.

Thank you very much for your answers.

I would like to confirm something for you.

・Substance 3D Community Assets materials can be used as they are.

・3D assets can be used after modification?

Are these two perceptions correct?

It would be grateful if you could read and answer the questions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They can be used as they are, but they can not be re-distributed or sold as they are. They either need to be modified or they need to be used in a larger work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for answering my question.

Does the answer mean the following?

・Materials and 3D assets from Substance 3D Community Assets can be used without modification.(Can be used in "large works" or "altered works")

・Materials and 3D assets from Substance 3D Community Assets may not be redistributed or sold as is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, some sentences were wrong.
I would like to correct the sentence.

・Materials and 3D assets from Substance 3D Community Assets can be used without modification.(Can be used in "large works" or "modified work" ?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry to keep coming back.

I would like to correct the sentence.

・Materials and 3D assets from Substance 3D Community Assets can be used without modification.(Can be used in "large works" or "modified work" )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

modified work means that the asset has to be modified, so this is not correct.

Sorry for repeiting myself but the assets can be used either 
- no modification but in a larger work

- not in a larger work (redistributing 3D assets directly) but once they have been modified

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I'm so sorry.There is one part of the English you answered that I didn't understand.

To which part of my question does this answer refer?

- Not a large work (directly redistributing 3D assets), but after being modified once

If you could give me a Easy to understand answersr, that would be very helpful.

Sorry it took so long for the Q&A.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- Not a large work (directly redistributing 3D assets), but after being modified once

By @Yuyunono

As I said a few times, this is allowed as you would have modified the assets

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I correct in my understanding of your response as follows?

・Once a 3D asset has been modified, it becomes an asset modification

and is allowed to be used

It would be grateful if you could read and answer the questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2023 Nov 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Am I correct in my understanding of your response as follows?

・Once a 3D asset has been modified, it becomes an asset modification

and is allowed to be used"

They already answered that multiple times, if you modify the model then yes it can be used

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, for me, the person who answered the question had a bit of difficulty with the text.

Your answer made it easier to understand.
Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just to clarify do the community assets also following the same ruling? E.g. can be used commercially as they long as they are modified or used in larger work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The license is not exactly the same, but it is not far. You can see the details here, but here is a sub section

2. License Grant.

Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, the Contributor grants you a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, fully paid up, royalty-free, and irrevocable license to:

2.1. Use, copy, and modify the Work;

2.2. Create derivative works based on the Work solely in the form of a Modified Work or a Larger Work;

2.3. Copy, publicly display, publicly perform, and distribute the Work only as modified into a Modified Work or as incorporated into a Larger Work; and

2.4. Sublicense the rights in section 2.3 through multiple tiers of distribution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2023 Dec 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To clarify,verify & confirm things up for:

[Assets from Substance 3D Community Assets can be used commercially for free.]
to put it on perspective, let say you have a material downloaded from "Substance 3D Community Assets Library" for a commission,freelance,industry work & etc. and you will use it in an "3D Model of an EGG(for example)" for commercial purposes.  Then, You are FREE to do so without worrying about licensing while selling or commercializing your EGG 3D Model. 

What you CANT do is:

Directly Sell, Re-Sell or Re/Distributing the downloaded asset from Substance 3D Community Assets Library

without even using or applying it to anything.
(Let say, You get a free magazine from the train station. You can't sell it as is.  What you can do is make something out of it like a paper boat,a plane or eiffel tower out of it, then sell it.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources