• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Back Button Operation

LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2009 Jan 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the login changes have started, the operation of the back button has changed for some reason. IE seems to go back to the same place, but SeaMonkey fails to do that. I have tried different browsers and web sites. IE does return to the same place, but both SeaMonkey and FireFox go back to the top of the page. This does not happen on other sites, only the forum, leading to the conclusion that there is a change in the forum software (though I can not find anything in the source listings).

In a related manner, a refresh also moves back to the top of the page. This is not typical in browsers and has apparently been added to the forums. Please leave out these moves to the top of the page and leave the page where it was. Let the browser work normally. When one returns to the top of the page with either a back button or a refresh, I then have to just scan down to where I was before again. It gets to be a real pain and I have found it very annoying in the Acrobat for Windows forum.

Since this is a recent occurrence, I assume it is an issue with the changes to the forum structure. It would be nice to have a consistent manner of operating that is consistent with normal use and not something changed by a new forum setup. Designing software oriented only to IE is not acceptable.

I noticed that there are several options now available in the preferences for display, like turning off a lot of the junk. When I go to one of the ColdFusion type links, those preferences are ignored. I still do not understand why there is an instance in a change when the folks that use the Adobe forums are generally happy with them. At least one person indicated that folks on the MM based forums go to a news format because they dislike the MM format. If it is true that many that use the MM format do not like it, then why the change in that direction? If that is not correct, it would be nice to know what is so great about all the wasted space.

I posted here as what appears to be the best place to post about changes to the forums. I am interested to see the reactions from others as they go back to work this week and start seeing the changes, though small at present. So far I have not seen anything that I consider an improvement and the back button issue is annoying to say the least (no, I will not change to IE to avoid it).

Bill

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2009 Jan 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless the powers that be cater to the consumers that use the forums, and not sensibilities of web designers. I afraid that the forums will go the way of dodo birds.

Sadly I'm finding more an more forums are be redesigned to allow the designers to thump their chest and say looky what I've done. When websites should only consider ease of use by the people using the website

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing these problems you are having. Are you talking about the MM forums?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A FULL refresh (Command + Shift + R on Firefox/Mac) is supposed to reload a page as though you are just visiting it for the first time, so being returned to the top of the page is correct and standard behavior. A simple reload (Command + R, or clicking the "Reload" button in the browser's tool bar) will refresh and put you back to where you had previously scrolled to.

If you ARE talking about problems with the (former) Macromedia/ColdFusion-based forums...it's anybody's guess, an all bets are off. Their efficacy is dubious, at best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point is that it was working fine until last Friday or so. The back button never took me to the top of the page before (or with other sites even now). In both SeaMonkey and FireFox, the back button takes me to the top of the previous page. The ctrl-R and ctrl-shft-R both take me to the top of the page.

In IE, neither of these behaviors happen. The back button takes me back were I was before and the ctrl-R (or refresh) leave me where I was, but updates the page. This is the operation of my normal browsers in other sites and I have always used the back button to get back to where I was. It was easy to navigate as a result (and I have been using this forum for about 5 years on a nearly daily basis). The change I am talking about happened last week after the registration process occurred. I find the extra steps in browsing through the topics a real pain with the change, whatever it was.

I have checked different sites and browsers to be sure it is not just me. That has happened on different machines also. I am convinced that it is a change to the navigation of the forums that was created last week. How, I have no idea. However, it is a pain and that is why I posted. I am trying to get information out since it appears that Adobe is headed down another mess up with the change of the forums. I suspect they are going to get all sorts of flack and am raising a flag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if I'm getting you.

Here's how this one thing works for me on Firefox/Mac (I use nothing else for these (Adobeforums.com) pages...Let's ignore the behavior of the Adobe.com forums for now:

Say I'm on a thread index page, and I scroll the whole way to the bottom and click on the thread title at the bottom of the list. That takes me into that thread.

I read through that thread, then click the button on my mouse that I have configured as "Back" in my browser -- Command + [ -- I am returned to the thread index and my view of the index is at the bottom of that page. That's where I was before I entered that last thread at the bottom of the list on that page.

Is that not working for you?

That's the way it's always worked for me, and nothing has changed recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it is not working that way.

Indeed, that is what is not working. It started right after I entered the reregistration process on the forums. In the past, the back button has always taken me back to the same screen position I left. Now it takes me back to the top of the page every time in both SeaMonkey and Firefox (I use both Windows XP and VISTA with this result). In IE, it does go back to the last position on the screen, just as it used to do for Firefox and SeaMonkey. I'd rather not use IE. As I indicated, I used all the browsers on other pages and the back button worked as you described (as expected). That is the main reason I suspect that something has been changed in the forum pages, though I did not think there had been any changes made as such.

Little things like this can drive folks up a wall. It would be interesting to hear from others that use Firefox or such on a Windows system. Maybe it is related to Windows in some way. I am just concerned if this is a forecast of the changes that are apparently in the wind. Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect instead that there's possibly a (some) corrupted pref(s) in Firefox and/or SeaMonkey.

At least, that's where I'd start my troubleshooting, at least to eliminate that as a possibility.

Save out your bookmarks and then completely douche both apps from your system, including all profile info and whatever else is attached to them. Grab fresh copies and reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only change I'm aware of here is that the forums are storing information about your AdobeID in your profile so that at some point forum logins can be consolidated under one login and not the two logins the forums have now. I can't see how that would affect navigation, but I will bring it up to the folks who wrote the code for updating accounts.

I'm also not sure I totally understand the situation. If I am reading through messages here and I am at the bottom of a page with a lot of messages and I go to another page, when I hit the Back button I go back to the previous page and am at the bottom, where I was when I navigated away. If I'm in the middle of the page and navigate away, I hit the back button and I'm at the same point in the middle of the page.

I'm seeing the same behavior in FireFox and IE under Windows XP. Here is one of the places I tested...

Go to the discussion at http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b7aa64/

Scroll down to the last message and click on the link there to another discussion. Hit the back button, and I'm in the same place as when I left the page. I also tried scrolling down to the very bottom of the page, click on Message Center, then hit the back button. And I'm back at the bottom of the page.

Years ago I remember the situation you are describing in Netscape. Every time I used the back button it would reload the prior page instead of just moving to it. And it was very frustrating. I was able to duplicate this back then in IE. I think that was by changing the option for "Check for newer versions of stored pages:" in Preferences. But I don't remember for sure. It was about 4 years ago, before FireFox.

So, I'm wondering if there is some cache or other preference setting in Firefox that might have got messed up.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to find out if something is corrupt in SeaMonkey or FF go to preference (mac) or whatever they are called on PC go to advanced section > then cache and empty cache files.

if you want to do a deep cleaning close either. locate the profile for the application suspected. find the cache folder move to trash or recycle bin. Empty. now open the application and try.

there are no problem with the webxx forums on mac platform. however my experience though is that the cold fusion stuff takes forever and a day to load, on FireFox, SeaMonkey, opera, OmniWeb, iCab, Safari. Once it initially loads though does load forum items decently, though nothing to write home about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I have the problem on 3 different machines, one being VISTA, I had pretty much tracked it down to the forums. I do not get this behavior with other sites, only the forums (at least that I have found to date). I just went to Google and searched on "test," selecting a random page to view near the bottom. I used the back button and returned to the same place. I also used ctrl-R, remaining in the same place. When I used ctrl-shft-R, it returned to the top of the page. This happens on all the machines which is why I brought up the point. I will just wait around and see if someone else runs into the issue. If not, I will start looking at what I could have done wrong on 3 different machines that causes the problem.

The fact that it does not have the problem on other sites or with IE, is why I suspect the forums, though I agree that I did not think that anything had been done to the forums other than the registration. My may point was to raise a concern after I had traced it as well as I could to the forums by eliminating other issues with multiple machines and browsers. As I said, I will just wait and see at this point. Thanks for the input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>A FULL refresh (Command + Shift + R on Firefox/Mac) is supposed to reload a page as though you are just visiting it for the first time,

no it's not. (always). :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2009 Jan 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

on Mac It Command (Cloverleaf) - R = Reload on PC I suppose its called Refresh.

Empty Cache first then do the reload/refresh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dave:

I knew I phrased what I really meant when I wrote: "...supposed to reload a page as though you are just visiting it for the first time"

My brain was lazy, and I didn't think through how to explain it right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such loooooooooooooong posts for such an insignificant "issue". :/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2009 Jan 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be insignificant to you but the original OP might not consider it so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>but the original OP might not consider it so.

That still doesn't make it significant. One complaint in who knows how many thousands of posts is statistically insignificant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if everyone waited to speak until they were sure that lots of people felt the same - no-one would ever speak up, would they?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He might be the only one brave enough to. Remember Forums from everyone of late have become very nasty and intimidating to new years, and there are lots of folks that don't post for being made to look dumb and stupid. Unlike years ago the visitors felt like they were joining a community.
Forums and boards and forums have gone in cycles. First the board forum operators thought they better than others simply because they operated the Boards Forums. Now there was a sea Change where such were operated by people that thought of the people coming in as simply needing help and decent treatment. Now the Pendulum is swing back the other way. So many people are intimidated from asking questions.

I've been around so long That I've developed a thick hide. I express my opinions, which are just that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón, would you hold your tongue over something you wanted to say, just because no-one else had expressed that view? Didn't think so ;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pj,
>He might be the only one brave enough to.

There is no "bravery" required to express a valid viewpoint, and not just adrenaline-driven nonsense or unsubstantiated "fact" in these forums. Just be able to back up your position, keep your cool, and you should be fine.
>Forums and boards and forums have gone in cycles.

Case in point: Can you substantiate this? Some of the forums here (and elsewhere) are far more vocal or opinionated than others. Some have less social participants. Others are the model of propriety. But, at least for the Adobe Forums, I haven't noticed a strong general shift towards one direction or another.

To touch on another point brought up, those who have an issue or problem are far more vocal than those who are happy with the status quo. How many folks register and log in just to say, "I enjoy using Photoshop."?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pj,
>He might be the only one brave enough to.

There is no "bravery" required to express a valid viewpoint, and not just adrenaline-driven nonsense or unsubstantiated "fact" in these forums. Just be able to back up your position, keep your cool, and you should be fine.
>Forums and boards and forums have gone in cycles.

Case in point: Can you substantiate this? Some of the forums here (and elsewhere) are far more vocal or opinionated than others. Some have less social participants. Others are the model of propriety. But, at least for the Adobe Forums I'm familiar with, I haven't noticed a strong general shift towards one direction or another.

To touch on another point brought up, those who have an issue or problem are far more vocal than those who are happy with the status quo. How many folks register and log in just to say, "I enjoy using Photoshop."?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>How many folks register and log in just to say, "I enjoy using Photoshop."?

I would say that about one in a million.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The purpose of most of the forums are to ask and answer questions, usually with pertinent information. but also an opinions of what they see as deficiencies in the Product. There may or may not be an answer to the problem or opinion. But. If I could afford Photoshop and it served it purpose well I'd brag.

I have a problem of in Acrobat 9 that Page setup won't allow you to set a Printer. I've asked the question twice. received replies one being they have seen the problem but had no help to cure, The other time a couple of follow ups were but the question died. So I figure there is no answer. someone at least made an effort.

But I have seen an occasional half way snide comment either directed to the op or someone offering a reply.

I must say th e Mac, Acrobat group and other groups are reasonably well behaved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath,
>Ramón, would you hold your tongue over something you wanted to say, just because no-one else had expressed that view? Didn't think so

That is precisely my point. If more folks saw this as a significant issue, they would have spoken up. They haven't.

I'm not criticizing the OP for voicing his concern, just for being so darned long-winded over such a minor issue.

In other words, pick your battles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines