• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Decisions from on high?

Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2009 Feb 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this the bean-counter's folly, or were actual users given preview to offer feedback?

Will we be able to offer suggestions and have them seriously considered before implementation is finalized?

What worries me the most is the track record for this sort of thing. Seems the web team hasn't been able to get much right when left to their own devices. How is this time going to be different?

If the web team and admins have only learned ONE thing, let's hope they finally understand that MORE open dialogue with users/customers is better than less dialogue and imperious decision-making.

(I feel like an abused family member being asked to stick around because the abuser has promised for the umpteenth time that they'll never do the bad thing ever again)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<obi wan>I've got a bad feeling about this.</obi wan>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not alone in that feeling.

Sometimes, there has to be some imperious decision making - because the decision makers have access to information that the general public does not (and should not).

I think that we've learned from past mistakes. I think we're on the right track. But I'm keeping a close, anxious eye on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Sometimes, there has to be some imperious decision making - because the decision makers have access to information that the general public does not (and should not).

Like with the Banking system, you mean?

Elsewhere, it says

>To minimize disruption, we are transferring the last 12 months of postings to the new Adobe Forums.

As well as being active on the Audition forum, I administer another forum related very much to Audition, where we have managed over two major transitions to keep the last 9-10 years of posts. They really don't take up that much room, either. Since a lot of valuable information is contained in any posts of this nature, I don't see how this constitutes 'minimised disruption' - it just means that a load of stuff has to be rekeyed, quite unnecessarily, because information they might be able to find this way simply won't be available. And I really don't believe that this is a storage issue...

>I think that we've learned from past mistakes.

I wish I had your confidence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love ya Chris, but perhaps you should stick to working on Photoshop?

Use your powers for good, not for obtuse, preemptive defense plans.

:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Ability to get noticed: Earn points through participation that demonstrate your expertise in the community.

you can use them at the Adobe Store, right? Otherwise they'd be sort of silly, right?

>I think that we've learned from past mistakes. I think we're on the right track. But I'm keeping a close, anxious eye on it.

I think as long as they keep the speed up and don't clutter the page with junk like avitars and junk, they'll do fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dense, fast, well-organized info.

The rest is lipstick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to ask a "sensitive" question... will there be an option to "ignore" certain posters?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 11, 2009 Feb 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No ignore option (though I have requested it). However, if participating via email you can handle that via filters and not even have to visit the forum pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok. thanks. are you sticking with webx or going with another product? and if another? what is it (if you can tell us).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As noted in the FAQ, we are going to a completely new system. The new forums will be based on the latest Jive Clearspace Community platform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow. cool. :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whew! Glad to hear that response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 12, 2009 Feb 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An example forum would appear to be http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/vam/studio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks a bit phbb. At least there isn't tons of space wasted by each post with needless fluff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The appearance of that forum is not very comforting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are all forums moving? including <cough><s>the photoshop lounge</s> that place<cough><cough>? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Jacob said...

What i like about the current forums (ahem... fora,) is the lack of clutter...

"If it ain't broke, why fix it?"

However, i do notice that there is a distinct difference in the original Adobe forums and the ones that were moved over from Macromedia...

JJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2009 Feb 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this thread is more adequate for this post of mine:

Claudio González, "Why here, not there?" #2, 12 Feb 2009 5:41 pm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> that place

Well, if they don't have a lounge, there will be more off topic stuff in main forums. Best to segregate the insanity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>The appearance of that forum is not very comforting.

Agreed. Definitely a step down from the current look, which is the best I've ever seen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 17, 2009 Feb 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at the link in post 14 and the messages had the same wasted avatar space and such that many have been saying to leave out. I clicked on one of the topics and there were only 3 messages on the first screen with tons of dead space. That is the waste that is not acceptable. Leave the avatar format with a left box for the poster info as an option. Otherwise, post a 1 line bit about the poster as currently used in this forum with a link (the name) to more info if desired.

In reading the other posts about the new look (like expect the change in April 2009), I am not hopeful. I think that the comments about simple, no background, and leaving the avatar and signature blocks as an option will likely all be ignored. Be prepared to have some spare time in April. Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of my considerations is how threads print out if a user would like to make a hard copy of a topic. I'd like to see it print out to nicely fill the page without a lot of wasted space either to the left or the right and not spitting out numerous pages taken up with quoted posts that appeared previously. The new software, even if it does not allow NNTP (still a question) has a reply link to include quotes... as it comes out of the box anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

john c, will the final format be close to this?

http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=640346&messageID=4002089#4002089

(i'm aikodude at the bottom, thanking a poster for providing a solution)

imo, this is a very usable format, with little wasted space. it also shows an example of a code snippet box.

thanks, dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines