Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Forum session login/timeouts

Apr 27, 2009 Apr 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've had some changes made for session timeouts. Are people still having to constantly log-in throughout the day? Today I've managed to stay logged in without any forum activity for up to 3 hours or slightly longer. Has it improved for others? The login session should now be about 4 hours. It was supposed to be two hours previously, but for some accounts it might have been shorter.

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 234 Replies 234
Advocate ,
Apr 29, 2009 Apr 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't look anything like that, Phillip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should know what should have been there. You were a part of the system. So I'll not argue the point. I accept your opinion.

John is and was in charge so yes, he knows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

Yes he does and I said as much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

Kath-H wrote:

No, you said that you accepted his opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a screen shot of the login page handy, but I do have one of the registration page. This was basically the same thing, except the login page only asked for name and password...

current_registration.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Cornicello wrote:

I don't have a screen shot of the login page handy, but I do have one of the registration page. This was basically the same thing, except the login page only asked for name and password...

current_registration.jpg

Thanks! That all I asked for. I remember now seeing this when I first signed up to the adobe forums back about 2003 or earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

PjonesCET wrote:

No, you said that you accepted his opinion.

Well If I accepted what he said That was excepting his opinion ,based on his knowledge of the subject.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From www.dictionary.com:

>Opinion, sentiment, view are terms for one's conclusion about something. An opinion is a belief or judgment that falls short of absolute conviction, certainty, or positive knowledge; it is a conclusion that certain facts, ideas, etc., are probably true or likely to prove so: political opinions; an opinion about art; In my opinion this is true.

And I'm assuming you meant "accepting" where you wrote "excepting".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

From www.dictionary.com:

>Opinion, sentiment, view are terms for one's conclusion about something. An opinion is a belief or judgment that falls short of absolute conviction, certainty, or positive knowledge; it is a conclusion that certain facts, ideas, etc., are probably true or likely to prove so: political opinions; an opinion about art; In my opinion this is true.

And I'm assuming you meant "accepting" where you wrote "excepting".

correct!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what would you like that image for? I had to log in so few times in the old forums, that I'm not even sure how that window looked like,and I coudn't care less anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to see what he said it was supposed to look like. You ever have any curiosity about you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Cornicello wrote:

Hi Claudio.

Are you using any browser tweaks to change forum behavior or to change how cookies are handled?

Thanks!

John

Hi John,

No, no tweaking of any kind, except for changing from Arial to Verdana, which I do manually in every message (sort of personal crusade to convince others and finally the higher quarters to have the type changed by default in the forums).

Situation today: on switching on my Mac/Firefox 2 this morning, I was still logged in, but had been kicked out when I came back after a couple of hours of being out. In Vista/Explorer 7, I wasn't logged when I switched on shortly ago. In both cases, after loggin in, I received an error message (sorry, no screenshot) saying something about being unable to find the page. Never seen this before.

Hope this helps.

Addition: I wasn't taken to my message after posting it, but to the top of this page. And the software insists in removing blank lines between paragraphs in my messages.

Message was edited by: Claudio González. Reason: addition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 07, 2009 Jun 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Cornicello wrote:

But, as you say, that system is gone.

Here is more info from Jive on the session time out...

The session time out is controlled by the application server, but there is a cookie on the user's browser that ties them to that session. If for any reason they'd like a new session they can delete that cookie. This would make it appear to the app server that they're a new user, and require them to login.

An Update: 6/7/2009 I've still been logged out a time or two in mid sentence. The have to relogin.

If I go back to email announcements right away and click on same link dumps me back to same message, I login, and click on the yellow bar at top after clicking to reply and my typing to point I was logged out appears. Hasn't happened often.

Looks like they could fix some type timer system.  starts when someone clicks reply and stops and reset when Post is clicked. Would last up to 10 minutes and when this timer is running could not be logged off.

As it would be reset each time post is clicked Then Logout would happen about 10 seconds or so after Post command to allow for message to to be completely  up loaded.

I don't know how it could be done, though?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 07, 2009 Jun 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing that makes no sense is that if a user is *actively* surfing the site, viewing threads, clicking the reply button ... the cookie should reflect that and NOT log them out in the middle of a reply.  It also should not log one out while surfing the site in general.

It's clearly broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Cornicello wrote:

Please list the steps necessary to make/let it sign you out in the middle of composing a message. Does it happen in the middle of typing? Or does it happen if you type part of the response, go away for a couple of hours, and then come back and finish typing the response and then try to send it?

For me it has always happened at (failed) posting, after finishing the message. When it had happened thrice in a row a while back, in a post with multiple links which I had to gather every time, I wrote the message in a more stable application and just pasted it at each attempt until the posting succeeded.

And every time I have worked on the post without delays and pauses, right after reading the thread in question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Cornicello wrote:

Please list the steps necessary to make/let it sign you out in the middle of composing a message. Does it happen in the middle of typing? Or does it happen if you type part of the response, go away for a couple of hours, and then come back and finish typing the response and then try to send it?

Thanks!

Well as others have said it when you post you discover you are logged out. I also find myself logged out just browsing going from one forum to another. I go to hit the reply button and its gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 28, 2009 Apr 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I have not noticed it getting any better. Every time I come back from working I have to login. Its getting tiresome and I'm finding myself coming back less and less. This new forum is a PITA and helping out just isn't as much fun. So not coming here is turning out to be the best option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I almost hate to mention this, but in all the time I've been using the Jive forums (beginning with the Preview version), I have been unexpectedly logged out during an active session exactly once (before this recent change) and it was during message composition.

I typically clear all cookies and cache files often during the day if I'm helping in Web development groups and/or forums. But there have been just as many times that I've left everything alone - overnight or not - and was still logged in. Sometimes over computer off/on sessions at that.

Permanent login is a feature available only to the few, the privileged, the auto-repeat email posters

Of course, now that I said that, it will start happening to me. I will try to pay attention to the steps to repro.

[Edit: Fixed jumpy cursor copy/paste positions]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my last report about the problem, posted on April 21 in another thread about this:

In my case, logins are behaving in a most variable and unpredictable way. At times, I stay logged for two or more days, including nightly shutdowns, on both my Mac and my Win machines. At times, I remain logged in one (either) of them but I am kicked out in the other. At times, I am not logged when I start one or both my computers, but I will stay logged all day, sometimes in one (either) but not in the other. Sometimes I have to login in every time I try to come in (at least three times a day). But, fully agreeing with Dave and several others, the most infuriating experience is being kicked out from this box while writing a message. Unbelievable.

As the situation didn't change in many days, I had stopped paying attention to the logout problem, so that all I can say beforehad is that I remember having had to log in at least a couple of times a day, every day, but this may have been as random as before. I'll start paying attention again tomorrow, and report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm definitely staying logged in longer, but the quote from Jive seems to suggest I could only get logged out going from one forum to another by deliberately clearing cookies and choosing to start a new session. Not so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

the quote from Jive seems to suggest I could only get logged out going from one forum to another by deliberately clearing cookies and choosing to start a new session. Not so.

Not really, Kath.  All jive cookies have an expiration date (which some users have changed on their own ) but Jive seems to be saying you can shorten your session by clearing the cookie.  Sure, I can shorten the wait at the doctor's office by walking out too, but I miss out on the consultation. 

Anyhow, I'll report if messing with the cookies has helped or not. 

AAAAAAAAdobe_forums_jive_cookies.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the doctor is walking out just I start telling him my troubles and advising me to make a new appointment

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

Nope, it doesn't help. The one cookie named JSESSIONID gets overriden by the server with a new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramon....

There is no method to the madness... unless, that in itself is the method.

JJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 20, 2009 May 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

AAAAAAAAdobe_forums_jive_cookies.jpg

Man we shouldn't have to do this crap to get basic functionality to work, and... I refuse! (Maybe, unless I get even more annoyed by this...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines