Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Forum session login/timeouts

Apr 27, 2009 Apr 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've had some changes made for session timeouts. Are people still having to constantly log-in throughout the day? Today I've managed to stay logged in without any forum activity for up to 3 hours or slightly longer. Has it improved for others? The login session should now be about 4 hours. It was supposed to be two hours previously, but for some accounts it might have been shorter.

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 234 Replies 234
Mentor ,
May 31, 2009 May 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JSS1138 wrote:

[Remembering login state is] a 'cookie' function set by the website Which is where the trouble lies...

That was my understanding as well.  So why the hell can't Adobe set a login cookie as before?

My understanding the adobeforum does not at this time have a cookie. So if that is the case. Its useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was not able to Login without allowing "adobe.com" to set cookies.  If this posts, then I am able to work without "forums.adobe.com" having to set it's own, additional cookie.

But how the hell hard can it be to set that up and end this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JSS1138 wrote:

I was not able to Login without allowing "adobe.com" to set cookies.  If this posts, then I am able to work without "forums.adobe.com" having to set it's own, additional cookie.

But how the hell hard can it be to set that up and end this issue?

Unlike with webX system which was whole independent, had there own Password/username Server. With ethe new software there is only one Password Server. Yes you heard that right.

For Marketing reasons Adobe wants only one server for that purpose. In webX they had a cookie set and long as you didn't log out on purpose, or the cookie didn't get hosed. You could be signed in for 30 years. (however long the cookie was set to expire).

With the new system it would be a security risk to be signed into the store indefinitely.

So they are trying to come up with a cookie system that would allow limited length sign say for a week or Month. But not affect the store.

The reason why the system now is that the MacrMedia forums which were taken over when Macromedia took over Adobe .... Uhh I mean Adobe bought Macromedia. They were use to having to sign every time they they left the forum . Adobe acquiesced to the MacroMedia people. rather than respecting ther adobe forum users wish, despite adobe forums running years before there was glimmer in the eye of Macromedia to have a forum.

So we have to make the best of a terrible situation, until they come to their senses. And to add insult to injury. The log out doesn't even respect the fact your are typing a reply and will log you out mid sentence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Marketing reasons Adobe wants only one server for that purpose.

Bloody idiots.  Even a moronic web designer can tell you that a web site with both a forum and a store NEED to have different servers.  You can easily set it up to use the same login/password for both, but signing in to one should never connect to the other.  Nor should logging out of one, by timing out or on purpose, log you out of the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JSS1138 wrote:

For Marketing reasons Adobe wants only one server for that purpose.

Bloody idiots.  Even a moronic web designer can tell you that a web site with both a forum and a store NEED to have different servers.  You can easily set it up to use the same login/password for both, but signing in to one should never connect to the other.  Nor should logging out of one, by timing out or on purpose, log you out of the other.

Sorry to disappoint you, but you're not saying anything that hasn't been said many times already, even in this same thread. Or being specially creative in your choice of the language you use. Which I would guess does not help in getting us any nearer to a solution, if there is one. In my experience, aggressiveness only produces more aggressiveness. as shown in this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 01, 2009 Jun 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screw having one login for the store and forums!  Screw it all! I don't give a rat's ass about that rubbish. Just fix logins!

Bring back permanent logins now! No @#$%ing excuses!

Just because we are technical does not mean we should be willing to accept technical reasons that something can't be done.  "Oh, well we can't do that anymore because there are security concerns related to the Adobe store subsite."  @#$% that!!!!

Adobe needs to think of us as their "regular users", and "regular users" don't give a hoot about some lame techical excuse for why authentication doesn't work the way it should.  All they know is that it's flipping broken.

That just had to be said, sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

My understanding the adobeforum does not at this time have a cookie.

Well, it doesnt have "a" cookie.  It has bloody five of them:

Adobe_forums_Cookies.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

PjonesCET wrote:

My understanding the adobeforum does not at this time have a cookie.

Well, it doesnt have "a" cookie.  It has bloody five of them:

Adobe_forums_Cookies.jpg

Okay, I misspoke, I meant that they didn't have a Permanent Cookie Like webX did.

Adobe is caving to Macromedis Crowd, but was use to be signed on every day, because they didn't know better.

How is That for a Clarification

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PJ, I've been largely ignoring you, but you have twice now made some rather disrespectful statements. I will not cover all of the points, but...

PjonesCET wrote:

Adobe is caving to Macromedis Crowd, but was use to be signed on every day, because they didn't know better.

How is That for a Clarification

You've made it clear in this and in your previous post that you have no clue at all (nothing new there). The "Macromedia Crowd" were practically all NNTP users. The NNTP server required no login at all. No, we did not "move to NNTP because of the terrible FuseTalk" as has been suggested by others. The forums.macromedia.com NNTP server was popular and in use years before the Web forum began dumping its http translated garbage on it.

To the best of my knowledge, the majority of the very few people from the "Macromedia Crowd" who were aware that there was a change in the works were very much against this change over - though not necessarily due to the log in specifications. But to say that those who used the FuseTalk Web forum as if they didn't know better is arrogant, ignorant and disrespectful. Especially since we DID have to login every time we wanted to post to the Adobe news server! (Of course, our client programs did that automatically.)

Adobe acquiesced to the MacroMedia people. rather than respecting ther adobe forum users wish, despite adobe forums running years before there was glimmer in the eye of Macromedia to have a forum.

Please provide the evidence that lead you to both of those strange conclusions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First I was refering to NNTP.

Second I bought and still use Studio 8  while Macromedia was still a Company (may still be I still haven't figured whom took over whom).

When I was there if you left the web Forum and went back you had to sign Back in.  But I never saw anyone complain.  I assume everyone thought that's the way it was. And when I posted some newby Dreamweaver Question I received nada answers and had to figure out for myself. A slow Painful Journey. So I didn't see any benefit.

I now wish I had not signed up for the Macromedia account, because now, I have two accounts, and only one the one I am using now. Adobe will not or cannnot figure out how to merge the two.

And also, for your information, I too was vehemently against the Take over as well.  I thought Adobe only reason they wanted Macromedia, wanted the ever popular DreamWeaver, and Flash and the different players. Kind of like when MS takes over some company. Just to kill competition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Edit: Deleted content with apologies. Not relevant to forum comments or improvements.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark A. Boyd wrote:

PjonesCET wrote:

First I was not refering to NNTP.

No login was required on the macromedia news server.

When I was there if you left the web Forum and went back you had to sign Back in.

If you were referring to NNTP, why are you even logging into the Web forum? Yes, that FuseTalk required a login for each session. I imagine that was rather inconvenient for Web forum users.

I don't see how anything in your reply serves as evidence that could lead to your conclusions in 178. At least not using any logic I understand. I will leave it at that, though. Last word is yours if you like.

Sorry left out a word I will change it in your quotation above and bold it.

I used both and Until we went to this new system I still had the Macromedia newgroup server still listed in SeaMonkey.

I stopped using the web version (FuseTalk?) a long time ago Since they were unresponsive to new user questions. Mine were not the only were not answered. There were many new user questions ignored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will ya'll stop being such Jives and start complaining about forum timeouts again already? Geez.

What IS the status on this anyway... is it even on the "todo" list to ever get fixed, or is Adobe simply accepting this 24 hour timeout lunacy as the way it's going to be forever?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

one of the adobe employees either John or Keegan(?) said they were trying to work on a Permanent type cookie that word for the forum but not affect the Store.  of course that was a few weeks ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2009 Jun 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote:

Will ya'll stop being such Jives and start complaining about forum timeouts again already? Geez.

What IS the status on this anyway... is it even on the "todo" list to ever get fixed, or is Adobe simply accepting this 24 hour timeout lunacy as the way it's going to be forever?

Have you read JC's opening post? This thread is for gathering information that may help in solving or at least alleviating this problem. There are other active threads where you may post your complaints, and your belligerance cannot help to obtian an answer to your legitimate question. We need collaboration here, not bullying or whining.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

Ansury wrote:

Have you read JC's opening post? This thread is for gathering information that may help in solving or at least alleviating this problem. There are other active threads where you may post your complaints, and your belligerance cannot help to obtian an answer to your legitimate question. We need collaboration here, not bullying or whining.

I know. The thread seemed to be going on this NNTP/Macromedia blame game type of discussion instead of login timeouts.

And my belligerence (most of which is just in good fun in case you never noticed) will not stop until these Jived up forums are FIXED!!!!!

That was like my first semi-constructive post in a while, and I get flamed for it... oh well, guess I have to go back to my old ways!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is your answer:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2007908#2007908

And no, I hadn't noticed, perhaps because I'm one of those who are fed up with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote:

And my belligerence (most of which is just in good fun in case you never noticed) will not stop until these Jived up forums are FIXED!!!!!

No, I hadn't noticed, perhaps because I am one of those who are fed up with it.

And, may I ask, in what way do you think that annoying fellow users is going to help in getting the forums fixed? You are not addressing Adobe here, just fellow users. And Adobe probably will never know of your belligerence, and I'm sure that, if Jive ever did, they couldn't care less so, what is the point?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course Adobe sees our complaints, they post here don't they?  Last I checked, I'm not the only one upset here.  Once all the other complaints and threads die out, I'll stop too.  As for the wisecracks, it's all good and fun.  You're too serious!  Come on man, don't be such a Jive!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote:

Of course Adobe sees our complaints, they post here don't they?  Last I checked, I'm not the only one upset here.  Once all the other complaints and threads die out, I'll stop too.  As for the wisecracks, it's all good and fun.  You're too serious!  Come on man, don't be such a Jive!

No, Adobe (or at least the people who are responsible for this disaster) do not post or read here. Only employees like JC and company, who have no power to change wrong decissions, only to mend and patch what they can or are allowed to.

As for your "good and fun", may I quote from another thread?

...well, you have to read it to know you're not interested in it.  It has really changed the way atmosphere around here.

People used to help out for entirely other reasons, now those are all obfuscated by distracting, superficial, trivial hogwash.  It's a different forum.

And yes, I very seriously regret and dislike the change in atmosphere all these "wisecracks" have introduced. I am not in the least happy with this new version of the forums, and I have expressed my dissatisfaction loudly and clearly several times, but our styles are evidently quite different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 03, 2009 Jun 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have such a problem with my own comments, even though everyone else is doing the same, there's always the block feature (assuming this POS supports that).  You can also just skip reading posts by people who tend to vent in ways you do not approve of. Unlike point begging, you can tell pretty quickly who wrote a new comment.  I will not be forum nannied and bullied into toning down my expression of dissatisfaction.

Unfortunately I cannot block posts asking for points or "marking answered" or any other such rubbish, so good try, but not the same.

And the forum timeout thing sucks too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just out of interest, do you post anywhere else?

Or do you just like making a noise in here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, although for now, mostly here..maybe until the forums function well enough again. But honestly I'm getting bored lately.

I used to actually, you know, answer questions and such...but Jive put an end to most of that huh?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote:

I used to actually, you know, answer questions and such...but Jive put an end to most of that huh?

You've got a point... following threads has just become so painful... reasons as i see it – and not necessarily in order –  are:

1/ General speed of the forums

2/ Inability to go to last see/read post

3/ Lack of NNTP -> multiple losses from this such as people, participation, etc. For instance, i used to follow the DW forum from NNTP. You can't go there any longer. So many posts... such slow times... No simple ability to bookmark the threads you're interested in... departure of numerous stalwarts,,, in this vein, the replies virtually read like a David P, Murray, Nadia P... with occasional seasoning by others... Where are the Massimos, Als, Flevs, the Thierry's, the Nancys. the Joes, the et al? That's just one forum... what about others? Am sure they've taken an equal hit?

All of it has just become so pedestrian now...

PS: Jive A$$? Hell! More like drag A$$!!

NB: Would you believe, they edited the 'SS'? Nuts.. Gonads... Spericals... Bollocks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JayJhabrix wrote:

2/ Inability to go to last see/read post

Probably my bigger complaint out of the three, since Chrome seems to actually make the speed manageable for me.  I know it's still an issue for many though.

I can't remember how WebX allowed you to do that (did it even?), all I remember is that it seemed easier and faster.

Has Jive improved anything without simultaneously causing associated problems?  Yeah we have a rich text editor now, but look at how buggy and hard to use it can be, how slow, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines