• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is the point system broken? [Jive is gone, there are no points]

People's Champ ,
Aug 04, 2013 Aug 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always been slightly amused by the point system and the little crosses since I came back to the forums after a few years away.

I imagine that knowing that someone has answered a lot of questions that have been marked as Correct or Helpful could be a handy indicator to someone new to the forums. Like Bill Hunt for example. It isn't the points as much as the percentage of points as a ratio to the number of posts. It indicates that people have often marked his answers as useful.

Well, the other day I noticed that I had reached 996 points and I was about to get a third marker. Try as I might to be nonchalant about it, since the points are not all that important, it still kind of threw me off when I got stalled at 996. I have had two correct answers lately and yet my points no longer increment.

So, is the system broken? Are my points being held up for review for some reason? Or, is there some other reason? I guess I am just curious about it. I keep telling myself it doesn't matter. Yet, what can I say? Pride is just one of those vices that is hard to shake. Throw a little vanity in there and ....

artofzootography.com

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2013 Aug 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven,

It still appears that the total is going up, but then down?

Have no clue, or possible explanation for such behavior.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Aug 06, 2013 Aug 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is back down to 991.

This is pretty odd if you ask me.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Aug 07, 2013 Aug 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is like riding a roller coaster. Wheeeeee!  Back up to 1101 points!!!!

I can only imagine how this would feel if I was one of those people who are really mad at Adobe right now over the subscription issue instead of being pleased as punch about being let back into the game so inexpensively. Yikes! This would be like rubbing salt in the wound instead of being funny.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven,

At 7:12AM PDT, I am getting 1081... enjoy the ride!

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven,

Well, at 3:20PM PDT, you are back to 996...

What is the half-life of an Adobe Forum Point? Your decay rate is pretty high!

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Up to 1006 right now ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is that 1006 is probably the most accurate number of points that I have had lately. We'll have to see what happens in the never ending saga of "Points", the Roller Coaster!

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could try to remove the "Correct" in your post #13; that will either down you back to 996, or up you to 1,016...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well. Perhaps. But it didn't add any points when it was marked correct, so taking them away would be.... I guess it really doesn't matter if you want to give it a try. I can always earn more.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Uncorrected" it; so far you are still at 1,006.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2013 Aug 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for bringing the explanation, Dave.

I (believe I) have only managed to get rid of points once, when I pointed out (almost literally) that someone else had given the right answer before I.

But then, I may have been lucky enough to stay out of dark corners where people vacillate or behave in ways that attract adverse attention.

It seems that we are lucky that Reputation Points are only one way, Bill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 11, 2013 Aug 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well over the weekend Steve Gotz has gone up to 1,106 points si ti ius just a questioin sometimes for the system to update but it appears it is doing what it is suppose to do. I think if you do not see the update right away it that is to be expected but that  it will evenually updat a few days latter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Aug 17, 2013 Aug 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that either Joe got mad at me again, because I was up well over 1100 points due to some "Correct" posts lately, and my score is now at 1076, or the Adobe folks cleaned up after Joe recently.

But since I am safely over 1000 points (I think) it should not matter anymore.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2013 Aug 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven,

But since I am safely over 1000 points (I think) it should not matter anymore.

Until it gets serious next time, and unless there is someone out there still/again with a stock of joke points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2013 Aug 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven,

I recently saw a thread on "housekeeping" in some forums, where old "Correct" answers were being changed, since a newer version of the program had changed things, so what WAS Correct, was no longer considered to be so. I could see that happening in PrPro, since CC changed the way many things now work. Not sure that housekeeping is the right way to go about it though.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems that you are at 1136, as of Aug. 22.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been busy answering questions and have been lucky enough to get a few right. Assuming that the OP actually marked it such, I should be safely above 1000. We can worry about 10,000 in a few years, I suppose, if the system hasn't been changed by then.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Aug 25, 2013 Aug 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[ removed my moderator ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, it is time for the moderators to deal with this. He is calling me insulting names and posts insulting pictures. I gave him a pass for messing with my points, but this is obvious harrassment that needs to be dealt with. He posted a picture of the guitar player "Dick Dale" in order to insinute that I was the rude form of the man's first name.

I realize he can't be banned because of the nature of the beast, but he should not be allowed to present himself as an expert in anything, when he continues to abuse the forum rules.

There does not seem to be a way to report abuse on this particular page, or I would have done so.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[ removed my moderator ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Says the guy who hides behind an anonymous name and avatar...

Nobody knows if you are a man, a woman, or a child. While the third seems more and more likely ....

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK folks, this is how it's going to work.

Personal insults are not tolerated, PERIOD. It doesn't matter if you are trying to be funny; other forum users can't tell if you're sitting there with a smile on your face and will assume that if you can be rude, everyone else can too. Yes, we have the Lounge areas for general chatter, but overall this forum is for use by the Adobe Community. It is an official support website whose content represents both you and Adobe to the world, and which is displayed in the product help application. It does none of our reputations any good to see threads deteriorate into name-calling and streams of copyright-infringing photos.

Nobody is too big to be banned. Play nice or pay the price.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think being called a "child" is an insult.

Nobody is too big to not have their posts removed.

Seems a bit like taking sides.

"...he should not be allowed to present himself as an expert in anything"

An insult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joe bloe premiere wrote:

You are entitled to think that a smiley can hide anything. However, I for one do not think that tampering with the personal data of another participant is either ethical or funny. And name calling does not belong in this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joe bloe premiere wrote:

"...he should not be allowed to present himself as an expert in anything"

An insult.

Very good.

Will the insulting remarks be removed?

I have used the magical "Report" button.

Claudio González wrote:

I for one do not think that tampering with the personal data of another participant is either ethical or funny.

I checked Forum Guidelines first.

No mention of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines