• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Jochem van Dieten must be relieved of his Hosting duties

Contributor ,
Aug 17, 2009 Aug 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not saying anything about his skills as a coder, because they appear to be fairly prodigious. That's not the issue. But I feel very strongly that his social reasoning as it pertains to hosting duties does not fit the nature of these forums.

Please don't sling mud, because that would give him a reason to lock or otherwise make this thread inaccessible. As it stands, this thread stands as a gathering of opinion; for him to shut it down simply for that would be evidence of tyrannical behavior—exactly the sort of thing we wish to not see here.

Simply reply here with a "Yes" or a "I Agree."

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree. This forum is much more fun now. The sense of community is back. And built around the negative, as any community should be. We're united in keeping Jochem out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you folks dont see are the PMs some of us hosts receive thanking us and specifically  Jochem for finally cleaning up the rude behavior around here.  The silent majority  generally finds the behavior of the some of the "regulars" to be rude and arrogant.   The feeling is; finally people are starting to not be afraid to post questions without a "regular" biting their head off and explaining to them "Thats not how we used to do it", or "dont ask questions unless its a really hard question".    .  Its time to embrace everyone, even people with [Shock] basic questions.

No; I cant post examples of the PMs; cause all these folks want to remain anonymous so they are not attacked by the "regulars".

You can choose to moan about the sw.  You can choose to moan about how it used to be.  Or you can use the system (like the vast majority of people) and be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vapour. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Umm... Curt. Uh, I can't answer anything but the most basic questions about Photoshop.

Maybe you are missing something: Phos doesn't post anymore. JJ has the most points earned in his fora (save Ramón, who we know we're all talking about anyway). Quit complaining about the complainers and go help somebody.

"Vapour" seems a little kind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J Maloney wrote:

Umm... Curt. Uh, I can't answer anything but the most basic questions about Photoshop.

Maybe you are missing something: Phos doesn't post anymore. JJ has the most points earned in his fora (save Ramón, who we know we're all talking about anyway). Quit complaining about the complainers and go help somebody.

"Vapour" seems a little kind.

Perhaps this is why users are now saying they feel they are finally able to post a question without being belittled.   Its was sad state of afairs that a product forum had developed a culture to the point where new users were afraid to post questions.  I see that slowly changing for the better.  Which is good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unlike most of you. I get to see the deleted post within the email announcements, even if the threads has been yanked.

Many of the text in the announcements should be banned. On the other hand though there are many that are attributed to a "Very Thin Skin", or a personal dislike for the person posting. Some don't even mention JVD's name.

Curt You need to get SeaMonkey if only for a little while then have the email announcements set. Might open your eyes.

I know a little bit about being  a Host. Because I am one of several on The Intuit-Quicken newsgroup on Yahoo.

If a post has some stuff that shouldn't be posted, I simply edit it out and there is a tag line added that edit by moderator. If its spam its sent to spam bin. But most post  even if its a strong diatribe against Quicken, I let slide. And I've noticed the other moderators do about the same as I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you folks dont see are the PMs some of us hosts receive thanking
us and specifically  Jochem for finally cleaning up the rude behavior
around here.

Rude behaviour like Claudio's thread about the Spanish forum (locked with a rude remark from JVD)? Rude behaviour like posting a "Happy Camper" thread (locked by JVD with a brusque comment)? I mention these as two threads that JVD locked for no (IMO) good reason. Any response to those two specific instances of JVD's (IMO) highly inappropriate actions?

Really, got any response? Or are you here (still) just to lecture and be (IMO) arrogant and rude?

No; I can't post examples of the PMs; cause all these folks want to remain anonymous so they are not attacked by the "regulars".

No need to post the identities of the people doing the messaging, I would think; why not instead, if you wish to be credible,why not post the text (or extracts) of the messages?

And still no response, I see, to my two (I could find more, as I am sure others could) specific examples of JVD's highly innappropriate abuse of his moderator's powers. I await in polite anticipation. (At least until I plonk you.)

Berating people for being rude and telling them to get to work helping out (as you and the most sapient Mr. Powers have done) seems rather ill-advised to me: no one is being paid by Adobe corporation to come here and help out here, and to expect that they shall do so after your insults and arrogance seems rather fatuous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kami Bambiraptor wrote:

What you folks dont see are the PMs some of us hosts receive thanking
us and specifically  Jochem for finally cleaning up the rude behavior
around here.

Rude behaviour like Claudio's thread about the Spanish forum (locked with a rude remark from JVD)? Rude behaviour like posting a "Happy Camper" thread (locked by JVD with a brusque comment)? I mention these as two threads that JVD locked for no (IMO) good reason. Any response to those two specific instances of JVD's (IMO) highly inappropriate actions?

Really, got any response? Or are you here (still) just to lecture and be (IMO) arrogant and rude?

Yes.  The majority of the rude behavior many users complain about is in a couple specific product forums, not here.

No; I can't post examples of the PMs; cause all these folks want to remain anonymous so they are not attacked by the "regulars".

No need to post the identities of the people doing the messaging, I would think; why not instead, if you wish to be credible,why not post the text (or extracts) of the messages?

I have.  My post was sumary of what most of the user messages convey.

And still no response, I see, to my two (I could find more, as I am sure others could) specific examples of JVD's highly innappropriate abuse of his moderator's powers. I await in polite anticipation. (At least until I plonk you.)

Sry, I didnt respond fast enough for you.  I have a few other things to do that to hit refresh on the forums.  Just read the forum guidelines.  They very clearly explain why posts are moderated,

Berating people for being rude and telling them to get to work helping out (as you and the most sapient Mr. Powers have done) seems rather ill-advised to me: no one is being paid by Adobe corporation to come here and help out here, and to expect that they shall do so after your insults and arrogance seems rather fatuous.

You are under no obligation to help out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post (#11) by wrigley seems to be one long quote in this rubbish jive forum software.

I can't make out if he's answering anything. Not that his answers carry any weight with me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 25, 2009 Aug 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad to see active moderation in this forum -- it should make the forum more useful for communicating with Adobe and each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 25, 2009 Aug 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johnrellis wrote:

I'm glad to see active moderation in this forum -- it should make the forum more useful for communicating with Adobe and each other.

If done in moderation, yes.  But this particular moderator randomly and wistfully deletes posts, but lets replies to the deleted posts remain, making the replying poster looking most stupid.  How can you effectively communicate when posts are randomly removed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 01, 2009 Sep 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johnrellis wrote:

Moderation is all very well, but I think the moderator should be as the shepherd is with his flock rather than like the butcher in the abbatoir.

(And, if this deleted, it can only be because the cap fits.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Jay, this is the designated Van Delete'm complaint thread.  Please abstain from creating new Van Delete'm "Mad Locker" etc. threads outside of this designated "free speech" zone. 

Obey the forum thought police.  Violators will be locked, deleted and banned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, posts and threads are being deleted at a frantic rate! Incredible!!! 

Saving some though for later posting... Can't get over it... <sad shake of head >

PS: Just deleted one post here and several threads in he forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You two in a duel or something?  The forum is going nuts. 

Obey the forum thought police.  Violators will be locked, deleted and banned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phos±four dots wrote:

I'm not saying anything about his skills as a coder, because they appear to be fairly prodigious. That's not the issue. But I feel very strongly that his social reasoning as it pertains to hosting duties does not fit the nature of these forums.

An interesting choice of words, 'social reasoning'. Is that what it is called nowadays when you post profanity, I remove it, and you repost it again, and again, and again? Is that social reasoning?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phos±four dots wrote:

<snipped>

Simply reply here with a "Yes" or a "I Agree."

I agree...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree

And PJ, removal of the portion of a post that is offensive (or whatever) is definitely a better form of moderation and I agree it should be used more.  With a deleted post someone may forget they even wrote it, and without a visible [removed due to X reason] they'll never learn what they did wrong, so they'll keep on posting the same way...

Just might get a little tiresome for the mods, IMO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 29, 2009 Aug 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. With knobs on. This is no way to moderate. He's locking threads and deleting posts like there's no tomorrow.

Moderate? Immoderate is more like it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2009 Sep 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's wrong with this guy?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2220022#2220022

Some poor person had a problem and posted in the wrong thread. The moderator in question shifted the post and changed a new topic. The OP very politely apologised for the wrong post and asked to be guided.

The poor person literally got his /her head chewed off!!

These forums are really frightening!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 03, 2009 Sep 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Stubborn refusal to see the error inherent in his methodology is leading to more and more confusion.

What was wrong with the old way of dealing with it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines