• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Just one question about basic performance

Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2009 Feb 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will the free flow of unified threads be retained, with successive posts filling the entire width, and with simple forum lists of threads, or:

A) Are we going to be put in boxes with forum member information to the left and possibly buttons to the left/right/bottom, so the flow is broken up and takes up far more space?

B) Will the threads be branched, so everything may become fragmented, and so subjects deserving their own threads will be buried deep?

C) Will the forum lists of threads be furnished with dividing lines and possibly arranged by subject rather than latest posts?

I believe those are the most fundamental question about the new forum; most other issues can be solved within the right frame, if needed.

Several times, strong pleas for mercy have been raised concerning threats A) - C).

It is so nice to easily find and pick a thread with new posts in the forum list, and then to run/read through and partake in a coherent and focused thread of successive posts, without things fading away in different directions, without the disturbance of having to cross unnecessary lines and perform unnecessary scrolling because of disturbing information, which might as well be reached by clicking the poster name or some popup button next to it in the line containing the poster name and time of posting.

Question(s) asked while anxiously waiting to see a preview.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 117 Replies 117
Feb 13, 2009 Feb 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John.

I wonder why they decided to do this on Friday the 13th. :(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2009 Feb 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe Friday the 13th did it to them.

John, thank you for taking the time to answer. You did a great job in creating and manintaining the present way.

Will it be possible to have a/the simpler appearance (maybe something like the print preview you mention) set as default so that we can keep a simple look?

And will it be possible to archive threads in the simpler appearance so that will appear when opening the thread later?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

test (as I have guest access, but see a text box)
Ah, guest access, but I was able to post under my own name... I don't know if it is cool or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John C/Forum Ops, your message 14 could be made as a sticky post, it resumes the future situation, the reasonning behing your choices.

The nike+ forum seems the cleanest seen so far. We are affectionnate here, because we feel at home, but let's not forget that the wealth of this forum is the combined knowledge of its posters, not the way it is shown to the world. Message is the Medium, in this case.

I see a mementum with Photoshop.com online, to host the images, there are scripts to resize images when posted, common sense rules the choices. For once, folks, let's believe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hadn't even thought about Friday the 13th! Thanks for pointing that out (though I usually try to treat 13 as a lucky number).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Triskadecaphiliac, ehhhh?

😉 :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that, too...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2009 Feb 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will the linking to Adobe ID be (part of) the solution of the issue of shifting posters evading banning?

Or is something else underway?

The unlimited login will return? Usually, I open two or more forums in parallel and switch between them, for easy access, to ponder over an answer while looking elsewhere, and/or for switching back and forth between screenshots/other information and posting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to hove multiple forum windows open now without issue. You should even be able to have multiple browsers open to different parts of the forum. You should stay logged in until you restart your browser. If you keep your browser session, you should be able to navigate away and back, too, without having to log in again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an FYI that the cookie issue is only indirectly related to the account migration piece. The account migration piece has been in place for 3 or 4 weeks. But you only see it when you log in. So most users would not ever see it. Hence the need to change the cookie type from permanent to browser session based so that more users would be able to migrate their account and have their messages associated with the right account in the next generation forums.

Once you have done the account migration it will not show up again. From there on out continue using these forums as you always have, using the same login name and password.

When the new system goes online you will log in with your Adobe ID and its associated password. Your forum user name will be the screen name on your Adobe ID account. All of the messages from your account here will appear in the new system with your screen name.

Can't comment on what people will try to be able to log in with multiple identities. Nothing secret, just have to see what gets tried before I know if we can combat it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, I've ended up with 2 store accounts with product registrations under both. It might not ultimately be a problem, but it's confusing for me, since they are very similar. I was wondering if they are able (and available and willing) to work with people so they end up with just one account, and, hopefully one log in. Any idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know. I think that accounts can be associated with each other, but not sure about actually combining them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah... I'll wait and see if it's a problem first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dorothy,

Customer service can merge all your Adobe accounts if you call them on the phone. They did that for me a few years back, because I ended up with several accounts for variations of my name (with and without diacritics, with and without middle initial, and combinations of all of the above.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After looking at those example sites, I have one request: please, don't put a flash UI on top of it or on an intro page. Due to some as-of-yet-unfixed Flash bugs, those were painful sites to visit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

POP ART CANVAS

The term Pop Art was coined for art characterized by themes and techniques drawn from popular mass culture, such as television, movies, advertising, comics, and consumer products. The movement impacted not only painting and drawing, but extended to sculpture, graphics, advertising, product packaging, photography, and most recently - computer generated images. It coincided with revolutionary social changes on both side of the Atlantic as well as the rise of a more youth-oriented culture and the pop music explosion.

POP ART CANVAS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> please, don't put a flash UI on top of it or on an intro page.

may i add, PRETTY please?!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is that spam, right above me there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, and only Forum Operations can fix it at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2009 Feb 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to be able to start up the IE6 browser several times and enter the forums differently/separately without logging in, and that has been a great thing.

Now, when I do that, I have to log in to post, and sometimes even to enter a forum (Web Design in the latest case).

I do not know whether it is possible, and, if so, how to start IE6 up only once and then open different windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please: No avatars. All they do is waste a lot of space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Avatars aren't too horrible, because they'd be pixel-dimensions-constrained.

Signature files, on the other hand, even when constrained (either so many characters for text, or pixel dimensions/file weight for images) quite often push the annoyance factor to the limits.

Additionally, most contemporary forum scripts give each user the option to either view these things or hide them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd vote nay on Avatars as well...

I'm really not interested in seeing exactly how ugly the people I'm dealing with really are! 😉 (Not to mention that I'd never put up a picture of me...)

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not aware of any Flash on the planned forums pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about if we PLAN to leave the forums alone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines