• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Now have to sign in every time to forum

Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2009 Feb 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use several fora, but these days I'm mostly in the Lightroom forum. I've been saving the URL when signed on so that by clicking on favorites I automatically end up in the forum already signed on.

I got prompted a few days ago to associate my Adobe userid with my forum id.

Since doing that I always end up in guest mode and have to sign on every time. I tried resaving the URL (once signed on), but that doesn't seem to work either.

I log into the forum daily from the same computer and it's irritating to have to continually supply my id when it was not previously required.

Is this the way it is? Can be be fixed? Or, am I doing something wrong?

Thanks very much,

Selby

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2009 Feb 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the OP, I thought I should update this as I discovered something that may explain some of the variation in behaviors that people are seeing.

I connect to the forums through 2 machines. On the machine on which I associated my Adobe id with my forum id I now always have to log in.

However, on the other machine, I continue to be automatically logged on every time. So I'm guessing that on that machine the cookie remained undisturbed since I had already been through the dialog re my Adobe id.

Selby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not my experience, Selby. Associated the two on one machine, and after a while I now stay logged in on three unless I quit the browser. What is bizarre is that switching off the machine does *not* have this effect, even though presumably the browser, like everything else, quits before shut-down.

However weird it sounds, it's true. The machine I switch off every night stays logged in. Another one didn't when I had to quit all browsers to do an install (yawn).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kath!

Your tales of shutting down, then booting back up and returning to the forums without having to log in inspired me to try something.

I was just here in this thread, and logged in and reading your Reply #50. I did a Command + Option + ESC to bring up the "Force Quit" window. I chose to force quit Firefox.

When I relaunched Firefox, the little window comes up asking whether I want to restore the previous session or start a new session.

Choosing "Restore previous session" brought me right back to this thread, and I was logged in, ready to type this reply.

Nice little workaround!

:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After seeing how the "Force Quit" & "Restore Previous Session" works, I have to wonder about what's happening to those folks who shut down their browser properly, and return here without having to log back in.

Is it somehow a case of their session cookies not being written to as being "expired at end of session"? And if that's true, then there might be some way of tweaking the cookie file so it works that way on purpose, for those of us who DO get logged out if we close our browser application properly.

Hmm...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know - I just don't get how shutting down the machine doesn't log me out, but quitting the browser does. Also, I use Safari more than Firefox, so I didn't think about that. I just snarled a bit about that silly business of quitting browsers to install the latest version of Flash, wasn't thinking about forums.

But maybe there's something in that - the automatic shut-down of apps when you shut down the machine, maybe it's more of a force-quit and that's different from a quit ??????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be on to something, Kath: I always quit-out of each application individually before shutting down.

It's just an ingrained habit I suppose but it does mean that if you changed have settings they will still be that way when you relaunch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> "I always quit-out of each application individually before shutting down."

Yep. Me too. Always. 2 decades of ingrained behavior.

I suppose force quitting Firefox leaves some of the session-specific preferences in place...

Launch browser
Navigate to Abobeforums
Log-in, and session-limited cookie gets inserted.
Force quit browser
Cookie doesn't detect that the session actually ended.
Relaunch browser, restore session.
Navigate to Adobeforums
Cookie is read by the forum script as though the session hasn't ended, thus it still allows user to engage forums as though user never ended session.

I know all of that is kind of stupidly obvious, but I don't know enough of how cookie writing works to really understand what's going on though. I just know that it works!

:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I haven't associated my two accounts in any machine.

2. In my laptop with Vista and Explorer, every time I come in to these forums, I am received as a guest.

3. In my Mac (details above), I am always logged in automatically.

4. I have just discovered that in my wife's laptop, with XP and Explorer, I am also logged in automatically.

Go figure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since logging in is just two extra clicks, what's all the fuss about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2009 Mar 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't that be just two extra clicks, plus remembering and entering correctly your ID and password in a slow site?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 01, 2009 Mar 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Extra? yes. Remember? no need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2009 Mar 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The whole point of my message #56 above is that I really do not what to do. In two different machines I stay logged in in spite of closing my browsers and even through complete daily shutdowns. In the third I am always received as a guest and I am always shown the "invitation" to associate my two accounts, which I haven't done.

Can someone in the know explain to me in plain words what can I expect to happen with my accounts if I associate them in the only computer that kicks me off? Or if I should perhaps do it in one of those in which I am always logged in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Associating the accounts should have no effect on the current forum system for you. It doesn't change any cookies. It doesn't change your name. It doesn't change your password. All it does is sets an internal flag on your account that says that you (XXXX) are the same person as (YYYY) in the Adobe ID system so that your messages will have your name on them when the new system launches.

If you do not associate your accounts all of the messages you have posted here in the Web Crossing system will appear in the new system as being posted by a "Guest" user with no way to attribute them to yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the fact that I remain logged in one computer but not in another is irrelevant?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

It probably means you didn't log in during the change window and you missed having your cookies re-set on the computers that now keep you logged in. I bet if you clear all cookies in those computers now, you would be logged every time you quit your browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What RGC said in #63

This all started (in my time zone) on a Friday after I left work at 5pm

I got home and checked the Encore and Premiere forums... and had to associate my login... and ever since, at home, I have had to log in after every time I exit my browser

Here at work, where I checked the Acrobat and Photoshop forums on the following Monday... I have never had to log in

It seems clear to me (as I have said before, in another thread) that my home computer had the cookies set to Zero time, which the cookies where I am now were not changed

I will presume (hope!!!) that the new forum software will use persistent cookies

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks JC, Ramón and John. One of the computers in which I stay logged hadn't been used for a month, and the other was on all the time, but Firefox was never launched during that period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to say that I have no idea on the cookie issue. Some days I have the totally opposite experience, at least on my Windows machine with IE6. I can have a browser window open and be logged in and then I open a second window and I have to log in again.

The first day of the change (Black Friday as we might want to call it), the cookie was changed from Permenant to Time based. But there seemed to be some issues with the server cluster. So they changed it to browser session. All I can think of echoes back to what Ramón said. Maybe those of us who tried to log in while it was set to time based all got forced to log out and back in, but you were not online at that time and started up again since the browser based and you have not been forced to log out. But that is only a guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My work computer with IE6 still stays logged in without a problem. I suspect it is because I didn't use it during the Black Friday weekend.

My home computer with Firefox was NOT remembering my login between sessions (and by that I mean between closing and opening Firefox). I suspect it is because I WAS using that PC during Black Friday weekend.

I tried deleting cookies on the Firefox machine but no change. They always re-appeared as session-only cookies. I think I have it fixed now but to do it I had to install a cookie editor plugin for Firefox and manually set the expire on the adobeforums cookies to a year from now. So far, so good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2009 Mar 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I've found, is that if I close Firefox with open tabs and have it save my tabs, I stay logged in when I open it again. If there's no tabs open and/or I just close without saving tabs, I get logged out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have a page of tabs that I access frequently every day set as my homepage in Firefox, then have it set to restore the previous session when I close it for whatever reason, and have it set to remember my logins (helps to live alone and have sole access to computers both here and at work). Don't know how much all that helps keep me logged in, but it sure hasn't hurt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re: Black Friday

I hope that was a lesson that Friday is not the best day to make a change (for when the whole thing changes). Better to put the new pages up earlier in the week, so that the addicts amongst us can get our fix over the weekend. No sense making a change and then having all the people who can fix something broken going away for two days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John pointed out at the time that he had asked exactly that. He's obviously learned lots of lessons, but it is a complex system. Best laid plans and all that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2009 Mar 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have easy access to three computers. Only one of them was used for entering these forums on Black Friday, and I have constantly been received as a guest since then in that one. I have permanently remained logged in the other two.

Well, I finally associated my two accounts in the "infected" computer. And now I still remain logged in the other two, and I am received as a guest in the Black Friday one. At least, now I log in using my usual adobeforums data but I am no longer "invited" to associate my accounts.

Can I be certain that my two accounts were associated correctly and that nothing terrible is going to happen the day we have to start using our Adobe ID to log in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2009 Mar 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since there is no confirmation anywhere, I believe we are all a bit anxious; but your case sounds really strange, Claudio.

It should be nice to know somehow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines