• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Separate section for installation/activation/etc. issues

Explorer ,
May 24, 2009 May 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd suggest to add a separate section (subforum) for each (or most of) the software products, dealing exclusively with issues pertaining to installation/deinstallation/activation/deactivation/installing 64bit version on.../using product with ... graphics card/etc.etc...

For example, since the launch of Photoshop CS4, the main Photoshop forum section has been cluttered with installation/activation issues to a point, where other issues go unnoticed and people lose interest in the forum. During the last days, I've read at least 2 comments in the Photoshop section, that they have decided to stop using the forum for exactly this reason.

I'd have to look, but I can surely retrieve these comments, if need be ...

kind regards.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2009 May 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

Dave, do you think you could explain something to me ...?

i could try... i can't say i'll do better or worse than any of the other way more knowledgeable people here but shoot...

Thanks, that's very kind of you Dave. Sorry for asking so directly, but I'm feeling a bit helpless as I had already postet a part of that issue a year ago in the old forum and couldn't get it solved. I have been thinking about ever since, but couldn't find any answers by myself and the PS manual is mute on that point. Now with the new forums, I wanted to try my luck again, trying to explain things better this time. The question is here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/437254?tstart=0 It's so basic (about layer groups' blending modes), that I really do think there are many folks here who know the answer. But I get the impression, that for some reason I don't know, the regulars here don't like me and so won't tell me ... But I honestly don't know what I've done wrong .....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I think the old forum was also accessible via NNTP, which is no longer the case, right?

At least the search system is better than the old Web interfaces (sans dejanews.com)

As for your idea for a separate Installation forum (please allow my $0.02), there are already close to 530 forums to choose from. And notice that (as of this date and for at least the past couple of months), there is a big section on installation support right on the main support page, http://www.adobe.com/support/

Users who fling past the already available and easily searchable support pages, knowledge base pages, devnet pages, etc. are the same ones posting such questions in the product forums. No amount of new forum sections or FAQ pages will curb that type of user. Of course, some of them have done their due diligence and are still experiencing problems. I don't think many regulars would keep visiting an Installation Issue forum to look for such questions, though.

[OT]

Of course, the best cure is for Adobe to overhaul their installer/licensing system. Such posts could fade away by CS7 or so if CS5 is better

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, the best cure is for Adobe to overhaul their installer/licensing system. Such posts could fade away by CS7 or so if CS5 is bette

or they could do the right thing and remove DRM all together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark A. Boyd wrote:

Of course, the best cure is for Adobe to overhaul their installer/licensing system. Such posts could fade away by CS7 or so if CS5 is better

LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2009 May 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, I already said that ....

Christian Davideck wrote:

I gave my point of view, you guys gave yours, I think I'll leave it at that.

But if you continue to debate the point, I might end up responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a side-note: The email notifications say

"To post a reply to the thread message, either reply to this email (recommended) or visit the message page:"

But replying doesn't work, the e-mail is rejected by adobe servers
Is it working for you guys ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bad bad idea.

edit: which probably means the new section will be up tomorrow morning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm seeing 3 threads about these kind of issues on PS Win in the first 30 threads out of which one is about PS bought on ebay, one about problems installing the rar files (guess what that means) and one legitimate problem with deactivation, not what i'd call "cluttered"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the yellow thread titles in post #3 were from the forum's first page. You see how many these are.

But anyway, I made a suggestion that's all. I won't argue about that anymore.

Any ideas, why the email replies are not working ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any ideas, why the email replies are not working ?

Start a new thread... and hand ot points

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bear in mind that the Photoshop Windows forum currently gets a lot of newbies asking about different software simply because it has "Photoshop" in its name -- Photoshop Essentials, Photoshop Album Starter Edition, and some even more introductory version from the early '90s.  With even more subforums for them to ignore, things will become less organized rather than more so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael D Sullivan wrote:

With even more subforums for them to ignore, things will become less organized rather than more so.

A) Either more subforums lead to a more organized forum ==> then an additional subforum for installation/activation issues would be required.

B) Or less subforums lead to a more organized forum (what you suggest) ==> then following your logic, there shouldn't be even separate forums for separate products.

You're trying to have it both ways

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christian for Christ's sake give up!

You are out-voted and ploughing a lonely furrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael D Sullivan wrote:

With even more subforums for them to ignore, things will become less organized rather than more so.

A) Either more subforums lead to a more organized forum ==> then an additional subforum for installation/activation issues would be required.

B) Or less subforums lead to a more organized forum (what you suggest) ==> then following your logic, there shouldn't be even separate forums for separate products.

You're trying to have it both ways

again, i don't think it's "organization" that's the problem. it's "page navigation".

you know come to think of it i havent' even been in the feature request section since the fall of the forums. with all the sub forums out there on the right, they're easy to forget about..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

you know come to think of it i havent' even been in the feature request section since the fall of the forums. with all the sub forums out there on the right, they're easy to forget about..

You missed the Corel freak?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

John Joslin wrote:

You missed the Corel freak?

yes. i vaugly heard about him. i'll have to go look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right, Dave, page navigation could certainly be improved, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines