• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What are forum points all about?

Participant ,
Sep 01, 2009 Sep 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice that when I post, at the top near the title there is something that mentions 5 or 10- points for helpful questions answered....does anyone know any more about this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2009 Sep 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hunt, I didn't say they left because of the points system; they didn't.

Sorry, I just misread the statement. To me, it sounded like it was the reason for their departure.

In several fora that I actively participate in, we've also lost many contributors, but there has never been any discussion on the "points," except for a few running jokes.

Thanks for the clarification,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

.... not a single one of the many great contributors we have lost had a very high opinion of the points system. Just the opposite, I would say.

I have never been a frequent enough visitor in Adobe's forums that I noticed the loss of specific, former contributers. But it's sad that those people are now gone. 😞

the_wine_snob wrote:

Though I would have chosen different phraseology, you make a valid point.

Hehe... After reading your entire post, my personal interpretation of "different phraseology" is "nicer".

I admit that since the imptetus of my post was the countless user laments about Adobe's poor support, I wasn't as kind as I usually am.

the_wine_snob wrote:

thanks man, I needed that.

BTW do I get the points????

Well, I can tell you how you don't get them. Calling a female "man" usually disqualifies you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, I can tell you how you don't get them. Calling a female "man" usually disqualifies you.

Bogus! Bogus! Foul! How was I to know? I am the most "gender-sensitive" person, that you could ever meet. I feel that I have been tricked!

In seriousness, sorry about that.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2009 Sep 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point of points? It's to encourage users to do the job of Adobe's lousy customer support.

Though I would have chosen different phraseology, you make a valid point. On the fora that I haunt, er-r-r frequent, I usually mention that the users will likely give the posters better info and in less time than TS will.

It was not always so, as I once ranked Adobe TS up there with the original WordPerfect, when they were in Orem, UT, USA. Fortunately, I have not had to use them in decades, but do hear the stories from the trenches.

Still, Adobe does provide us with these fora (whatever we might think of Jive), and in turn we do our duty to help other users. If we do a better job than TS, so be it. In the end, Adobe benefits and the users benefit, so it's a win-win deal, in my mind.

I look back in relish at some of the mysteries of Photoshop, Premiere, or Encore, and they read like a good detective novel. Still, in the end, we got the problem solved, and a user on their way to editing images, or video or authoring DVD-Videos. Nothing wrong with giving back to the community. In my job, I get hit up for pro-bono work for various advertising organizations, to which I belong. I do not mind contributing, but have actually gotten more joy out of some of the folk that I have been able to help in these very fora. One grateful poster gave me credits in his indie feature, just because I gave him a few simple answers. Wow, that was a grand payoff in my book. I've shot for free for weeks, and edited into the morning on some PSA award-winning pieces, and not even gotten a mention, when the awards dinner rolled around. Go figure.

You make a good point, and did allow me a moment of seriousness in an otherwise light-hearted topic - thanks man, I needed that.

Hunt

BTW do I get the points????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2009 Sep 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At a point in time, yet undisclosed, the subscriber with the most points will receive an "all expenses paid" trip to have lunch in the Official Adobe Cafeteria. It is rumored that they will be able to order the lobster!

Now, some of the Asian and European subscribers are really anxious for this, but some of us much closer to California are in it only for the lobster.

Hunt

BTW - do I get the big points?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The stupidest thing about this system is the the people handing out the points and marking the answers answered when they are given incorrect answers. We can't hold it against them they don't know any better they can't help it they are Adobe challenged. But also when more of these Adobe challenged people come along and find threads with their problem marked answered, this is a real disservice to let them think they have the correct answer.

this whole correct answer star point system is not a good thing as it also discourages discussion as there is always more than one way to complete tasks in Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buko. wrote:

this whole correct answer star point system is not a good thing as it also discourages discussion as there is always more than one way to complete tasks in Adobe apps.

100% correct!

Buko. wrote:

Adobe challenged people come along and find threads with their problem marked answered, this is a real disservice to let them think they have the correct answer.

100% correct!

This is what happens when they try to adapt a "community" (how I hate that word!) philosophy to a user help forum.

PATHETIC!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the link the "branched to a new thread" at the top and this is what I get:

It appears you're not allowed to view what you requested. You might contact your administrator if you think this is a mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greenjumpyone wrote:

I followed the link the "branched to a new thread" at the top and this is what I get:

It appears you're not allowed to view what you requested. You might contact your administrator if you think this is a mistake.

Quite... what's that all about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a dead end. Thanks for playing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The stupidest thing about this system is the the people handing out the points and marking the answers answered when they are given incorrect answers.

You make a very good point. In a few Adobe fora, I've seen a problem posted, and the first response is "Only a dolt would do that. You must be the biggest fool in the Adobe Universe." That post then gets the "Correct Answer" award. While there might be some truth in the reply (?), it seldom ever addresses the OP's problem and is less than helpful.

I've also seen posts, where the OP wished to "take back" points, but that is not possible.

To me, the points are but a somewhat humorous side light, and fodder for some lighthearted discussion - nothing more.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well heck, you have 4,075 points. Adobe should give you free software of your choice for all the free help you provided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there Hunt

I totally agree and see similar things in my fora. One of the odder behaviors goes like this:

OP asks for help

Another participant goes into great detail and totally solves the OP's issue.

OP posts back to report things are dandy and thanks for the help!

OP then awards their final answer the points.

I pretty much ignore points myself. I find that if I accumulate 500,000 points and take $5 with me to Starbucks, I am able to afford a cappuccino. Oddly enough, they never seem to ask to see my points!

This makes me wonder if they are even aware of the life and death dramas that play out in the Adobe Support Forums every minute of every hour of every day! I've been trying to coax A&E to do a reality show on it. Unfortunately I don't think they are aware of our little universe either. Bummer, that one...

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I pretty much ignore points myself. I find that if I accumulate 500,000 points and take $5 with me to Starbucks, I am able to afford a cappuccino. Oddly enough, they never seem to ask to see my points!

Rick,

You must frequent MY Starbucks! They never care about the points... sigh.

I like the A&E idea. I believe that they did the series Airline on SouthWest Airlines. And I thought that I had seen travel problems.

The points thing is good for a bit of levity and light discussion - little else.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Notice, at the top it says, "Branched to a new thread."

Why? And what's the thread? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jhabrix wrote:

Notice, at the top it says, "Branched to a new thread."

Why? And what's the thread? 

Do you seriously expect a host/mod to waste valuable time in answering such an off topic and naive, but legitimate, question? Then you are even more gullible than I.

Unfortunately, the times of an Ozpeter, a Neil Keller, a ... , are gone never to come back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

Unfortunately, the times of an Ozpeter, a Neil Keller, a ... , are gone never to come back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be worth revisiting this thread, although some of its important links, such as the one in posts #76 & #83 are dead: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/294104?start=0&tstart=0

Among others, the OP and posts #76 & #78 point at some of the more obvious unfortunate aspects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines