May 14, 2009 May 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big improvement!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 15, 2009 May 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone else tried Google Chrome here yet? Speed wise at least, probably due to the massive javascript heavy (aka CRAP) nature of this forum, Chrome does seem to do fine here. Which leads me to further believe that it's mostly JavaScript that's causing everyone pain here. (Login is still painfully slow in Chrome, however.) Not that I'm saying anyone should need to switch browsers to use these forums...

The problem is probably just so fundamental (the fact that they use intensive javascript I guess) that the only way to fix slowness in most browsers is going to be ditching or re-engineering the entire thing from the ground up (lol).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury, I know there are several ways to get better connection speeds with these forums, just as there are for reducing the clutter in their windows. I could use a perhaps better suited browser, I could change to a faster broadband plan,  I could even buy a faster computer (although I think this would produce just marginal improvements, if any). However, these are just workarounds, and not solutiions to the problem.

What many seem to fail to understand is that the real problem is that I, like probably almost everyone visiting these forums, have seen my connection times increased by a factor of more than 15 without having changed anything in my setup. And that this change came with the new forums and hasn't affected in any way any other of the many and varied websites in different parts of the world that I frequent. This problem was created by Adobe, not by the users of these forums; and it's not up to us users to look for partial paliatives. It's up to Adobe to provide a solution that makes these forums usable again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio-- Oh I hear you (and agree), believe me, I've been extremely critical of these crap forums here plenty of times, probably to the point that Adobe ignores my posts now!   But the "Chrome workaround" has helped me keep my sanity so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I browse the web forums, I'm usually using either Chrome or Chromium.

It's fast but I don't see much real difference between the 4 browsers on

these forums. All are relatively quick for me. So I don't think it's just

the AJAX stuff slowing things down for you people having speed problems.

My issue with the forums is more the poor user experience. Not being able

to find where one left off easily is a major minus for me. 2nd is the

flag issue; Not being able to see updated or new posts easily. So I

prefer e-mail or NNTP (if it was available).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the messages in the status bar, a sizable fraction of the delay is in connections with wwwimages.adobe.com

I can confirm that here. It is especially noticable when clicking on Last Post in a long thread when it takes me to a page with 20 or more messages. The page finally jumps to the bottom when it stops waiting for those images - and/or when the boxes in the right side-bar are drawn. I can't tell for certain which triggers it, but I do see that side bar flash on just before the page jumps to the bottom message.

[Edit]

Sorry, not Last Post, but clicking on the date or time of the last post in the discussion index pages. The link above the name of the last person to post in that thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio -  you're confusing the topic.   We're not comparing old and new in any way.  We're talking about the CURRENT forum software and why some people are seeing extreme delays and others are not.

And 15 seconds was better than I expected for a VNC connection to Australia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I can say at this point is the the forum servers are not being overly taxed. Data is running through the forums to/from servers with lots of headroom to spare. No signs of slowdowns or distress in any server logs so far. It really looks like the issues are in the delivery stream. Jive has asked the adobe.com folks to change some caching time outs on images and style sheets and the like. Some of those changes have been made. But more needs to be done.

At this point I still can't say who's fault it is. Everyone takes it seriously. But the disparate performance issues during the same time periods are not helping pin down the cause yet.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe-admin wrote:

At this point I still can't say who's fault it is. Everyone takes it seriously. But the disparate performance issues during the same time periods are not helping pin down the cause yet.

John

I don't envy anyone who has to sort the strange, intermittent performance issues that some of us see.  I certainly see the 'speed bumps' far more often her than for any other site I visit.  I am, thinking in particular of dpreview which is much, much more response, day in and day out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines